http://www.doublegunhq.com
Item # :1915 Heym Millenium Double Rifle 470 NE & 375 H&H -- $87500
:1904 Bouchet 378 Wby Mag O/U Ejector Double Rifle -- $75000
:1903 Bouchet 300 Wby SLE Double Rifle -- $115,000
:1902 Bouchet Monobloc SxS Double Rifle Sidelever 275 Rigby -- $100,000
:1894 Bouchet 577 T-Rex Double Rifle -- $150,000
:1893 Bouchet SLE Double Rifle 460 Wby Mag -- $150,000
:1892 Bouchet 500 A Square O/U Double Rifle -- $200,000

= 877,500 type nothing in "Search for" box, simply go to double rifles in the "category box"

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it just me or are the styles of those doubles a little unusual??!!

Also wonder how many rounds the T-Rex and .460 have fired and if they are off- the face yet?

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some very unusual rifles to say the least. i have not heard of the maker, but have heard of the double barrels made out of one piece of steel. though the benefit of this eludes me.

the action on those rifles must be very strong with all that metal.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
We had a thread about these not too long ago. More info there.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to be unkind, nor to criticize the taste of others, but I find the aesthetics of those rifles unfortunate.

The rifle in the "Trevor Proctor Pics" thread is much more to my liking.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are not double rifles - they are double clubs. I suppose if you run out of ammo you can use the item to bludgeon your prey to death.

But, there are probably those out there that find them appealing and attractive. Just like those who would probably find Rosie O'Donnell preferable to Cindy Crawford.

To each his own.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if the effort that went into them is in line with the price or not, but they wouldn't have much practical value. A 16.5 pound .378, a 19.8 pound .460 and a 23.1 pound .577 - these are the engineering exercises of an eccentric. They're just conversation pieces, nothing more.
--------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The corollary benefit of owning one of those rifles would be a very strong upper body as a result of carrying that much weight around.

At $10,000 per pound, those rifles are out of my price range.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I beg forgiveness from the DRSS membership, but I can honestly say I would rather have bolt trash than any one of those guns.

Vomit.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me put this prostitution of the double rifle genre into perspective: two Searcy double rifles, in 416 Rigby and 577NE, a full boogie six week hunt with guaranteed Big Five (plus several big horned plains antelope)that will handily make Rowland & Ward, all the taxidermy fees, etc: and a half a million dollar house with a six car garage and a 36' x 48' trophy room to display the mounts in, on about twenty acres here in Idaho, rifle range costs not included. Does that cover it pretty well?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just went back and went through that stuff from early last year. Those rifles are bloody ugly and that knobhead hawking them is not doing himself or the maker any favours. If he was as smart as he says he is, he'd guide the maker into building guns that had some "value".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Dave:
Just went back and went through that stuff from early last year. Those rifles are bloody ugly and that knobhead hawking them is not doing himself or the maker any favours. If he was as smart as he says he is, he'd guide the maker into building guns that had some "value".
jumping

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well said! That was my opinion stated in the first go around on these rifles! Engraved railroad iron! thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will bet that there are not a lot of players lining up to buy any of these rifles!Just my opinion.

Posts: 104 | Location: Chile | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rolexfan:
I will bet that there are not a lot of players lining up to buy any of these rifles!Just my opinion.

It doesn't take a lot it only takes a few. Big Grin

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's "Sir" or "Mr. Gould" to you, Dave. If you want to call people derogatory names, then have the guts to do it in their presence.

Actually I have been trying to get Claude to build a prototype of a durable double that is a more practical hunting weapon, that could then be made by modern methods. He won't build anything unless it's a 416 Weatherby and that's not my idea of the most practical double rifle. So for now the deal is off.

The idea behind monolithic bbls is that they can't go out of regulation, the forend hook won't come adrift, and the express rib doesn't fly off. There is a reason that nobody builds doubles firing high power heavy caliber ctgs...the guns self destruct. Claude has over 1000 rounds through one of his guns, I think it's the 300 Wby, and the gun still closes like a bank vault door.

They are not to most people's taste. However, I have handled the guns and they are truly unique and magnificent pieces of work. They incorporate many very interesting and functional innovations. It takes him about four years to build a gun.

To those who don't appreciate his work, grab a 4"x4"x48" billet of steel, a chunk of wood, some files and a graver or two. I'll stop by in four years to see how you did.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Russ:

The monolithic barrels only serve to insure that the gun can't be re-regulated when it DOES get out of regulation, which makes re-barreling the only option. Extremely undesirable feature. A well regulated double can get out of regulation due to normal wear (which is naturally uneven), obsolescence of propellants and components used to make the ammunition that it was originally regulated with, etc. It's a natural progression. It has nothing to do with conventional double barrel construction being inadequate in any way. Re-regulation of a conventional double is normally neither particularly difficult nor expensive.

Fore-end loop failures are almost always due to the fool client insisting on a beavertail fore-end on a hard kicking double rifle. It isn't the fault of the maker nor is it an indictment of the construction method or quality. Lots of consumers make dumb choices - rimless shells (like .416 Weatherby) in double rifles are another good example.

I've never heard of a quarter rib flying off of a double. Magazine rifles, yes, but not a double.

Many first rate makers have been building double rifles firing high power heavy caliber cartridges for 110 years. They've answered every need for such rifles in the hunting fields since with aplomb, and are still highly prized for that purpose. No, they don't self destruct. A thousand rounds isn't many. I've put more than that through a couple of mine that were old when I got them, and they're still dead on face.

As indicated in my original post, I didn't know if the price was commensurate with the effort expended, but I presumed it was. So, it takes him four years to build one. That doesn't mean that the price is realistic or that the time was used profitably. Mr. Bruchet seems to have provided an answer to a question that no one else has asked. They're not hunting guns - they're too grossly overweight to be practical for that purpose. As the exercises of an eccentric, a few will find them interesting conversation pieces, but probably not enough to support the price.

Nice try though. Wink
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Gould,

I guess I am one of those who do not appreciate his work. But I don't need to grab a 4x4x48 billet of steel, a chunk of wood, and some tools to have an opinion, do I?

You may have taken offense to Dave's comments, but that certainly does not grant you a license to address all those who fail to agree with your artistic tastes in such a condescending tone.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it is time again to whip this baby out:

Looks like there is an this thread.

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have little doubt that these rifles will sell and that their new owners will enjoy them immensely and be very proud of them. And we must give the maker credit for ingenuity.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500 grains, Sir you are a gentleman. It always amazes me that people descend to slander and vulgarity on this bulletin board. You would think that people who have an interest in double rifles would have a modicum of class, but apparently not in all cases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Gould,

My, that's an awfully high horse you're sitting upon!

There was no slander here. Expressing one's opinion is certainly not slander. And a sensitive person may take some comments as vulgar, but it would appear that the receipt of those comments was self inflicted.

First you imply that those who did not see the silk purse in the sows ear had no appreciation for double rifles, i.e., they are ignorant. Now you state that you consider most participating in this thread as lacking in class.

Since most of us have just learned to walk upright, perhaps you can assist us in obtaining a modicum of class. If you can provide the part number in the Brownell's catalog we will get right on it. By the way, how many grains in a modicum?

I realize that the people here, despite having 40, 50, or 60 or more years experience shooting and hunting probably do meet your high standsrds of double rifle knowledge. And as such, in your view, are not entitled to an opinion.

We profusely apologize for offending your sensibilities. The thing is, that despite most of our "advanced" ages, our sense of smell remains intact. And we cannot help ourselves in reacting to our olfactory senses when we come close to a pile of bullshit stacked above our ears. Guess we should work on reigning those reactions in.

500 grains is indeed a gentleman. As are most who post on the double rifle forum. To suggest otherwise, and to suggest a lack of knowledge by the participants here, are shortsighted observations devoid of any class whatsoever. Frankly, it sounds desperate.

But than again, what do us drooling fools know.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I cant say much on the metal work other than its huge.... The stock design on those babies mystifies me. Lets trash the asthetics argument even though I think the stocks are horrid. A perch belly stock on a double? No pistol grip? Okay I'll shutup now. Play on boys.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Gould, Sir, I stand by my earlier comments. Thanks for the confirmation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aussie Dave
I think it was when You used the term "KnobHead"that threw a few people off..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There was no slander here. Expressing one's opinion is certainly not slander.

For the benefit of the Americans on this board, a knobhead (Australian) is a dickhead on this side of the Pacific. I stand by my comments regarding Dave's post, and I assure him he would get a hiding if he were to address me in those terms in my presence.

As for Mr. Manion, he is reading things into my posts that were not intended or even implied. You don't have to like the rifles, they were built for Claude's personal satisfaction and to his personal taste. You are welcome to dislike the aesthetics, and to say so. That does not make you a person of poor taste, an ignoramus, or a person lacking in refinement. But it's not in good taste to make crude or insulting remarks about the maker or his guns, or myself. There are many dimensions to a double rifle, aesthetics are just one. These guns are quite remarkable and innovative in many ways. (If you are interested in the technical details, read my article in African Hunter.) Show the man some respect for his life's work, and if you can't do that, then at least be polite like some of the other folks who post here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The stock design on those babies mystifies me

The relevant point regarding the stock work is that the stock heads are conical and are compressed by a socket in the metal chassis by means of a stock bolt. The stock heads are thus very unlikey to crack. Claude's idea was to make the gun as close to indestructible as possible.

The forends are also interesting. The (monolithic) forend iron is designed to hold the wood in a vice grip between the knuckle and the release, compressing the end grain in a way that makes it unlikely to crack. The release has a locking mechanism so the forend cannot be inadvertently removed or fly off under recoil.

Unfortunately, as we all know, the stock heads in conventional designs are prone to cracking, esp. sidelocks. These powerful calibers call for a different concept....the old adage "form follows function" applies.

Regarding the styling, the perchbelly is a fairly common styling cue in France. Not many like it, myself included. However, each gun has unique stock aesthetics and that's a question of personal taste. The interesting point is that one man did the metalwork, the woodwork, and the engraving. Every part was made by hand. The metal finish is impeccable, with even hidden parts highly polished and detailed. And the calibers are truly out of the ordinary, for a double rifle.

If all a person can say about these interesting guns is "VOMIT", then I think it's fair to say the poster lacks class, at a minimum.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing, if I may:

you just HAVE to admire a guy who will post this sort of thing here and then get into a pissers contest with the clientele he hopes to attract. If I were he, I would never have had the guts to badmouth people who might be customers in the future. People who would make it a point to share their opinion that he is, in fact, a horse's ass and confrontational with the world.

But, that's just me; what the heck do I know about running a business?

Rich
hammering

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One thing, if I may:

you just HAVE to admire a guy who will post this sort of thing here and then get into a contest with the clientele he hopes to attract. If I were he, I would never have had the guts to badmouth people who might be customers in the future. People who would make it a point to share their opinion that he is, in fact, a horse's ass and confrontational with the world.

But, that's just me; what the heck do I know about running a business?

Rich

Rich, you hit the nail right on the head. I for one believe that this gentleman's posts show his true character. I doubt this person is ever wrong. Just take a look at his post saying that I have no class because I used the colorful word "vomit" when referring to these abominations.

I guess I'm not permitted an opinion in this guy's country.

But, I'll just leave it at this:

I will never do business with this person.

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fellows,

I think Russ might be a bit sweet on me. How do I let him down gently and tell him that I don't go for that sort of thing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ugly ,Expensive and and typically French [sounds french to me ]which normally means Ugly ! Yuk !, like one poster says on this forum ''lifes too short, to hunt with an ugly gun''.If i had that much money i would invest it in New English guns !at least they look Good !

Posts: 175 | Location: australia | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Knobhead. I kind of like that. I'm going to start using that instead of my usual "Richard Noggin" statement.

Thanks Aussie Dave I learn somthing everyday!

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DanEP
posted Hide Post
Looks like a flame war -- don't really want to get into that, but I had a question in good faith...

One virtue of a double is two independent firing mechanisms. These guns have single triggers (barrel selectable for 1st shot?).. Am I mistaken, or is this gun more likely to loose both firing mechanisms?

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just looked at the rifles and had some bile rise in my throat.

Nice engraving but the thing looks like it would be used to club an ele to death instead of shoot one.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call me silly, but I think the rifles are pretty cool looking. But, I like 700 nitro's and 4- bores! They are different, but I don't think they deserve being trashed as they have been on this thread.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Sure these rifles may not be everyone's cup of tea but you have to appreciate the work and time that went into them. The bottom line is that one man built this rifle from start to finish and also did the engraving which I find incredible. I wonder how many people who are alive today (or ever for that matter) could do the same? Not many I would guess.

Do they appeal to me personally, no. They are interesting though and I would very much like to check one out in person.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bulldog563:
Sure these rifles may not be everyone's cup of tea but you have to appreciate the work and time that went into them. The bottom line is that one man built this rifle from start to finish and also did the engraving which I find incredible. I wonder how many people who are alive today (or ever for that matter) could do the same? Not many I would guess.

There are quite a few gunmakers who can do the whole job on a Double rifle. From making the stock to filing the action to making the locks to joining the barrels to regulating to engraving.

None of them are here though.Big Grin

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There a plenty of 'engineers' that could build a nice double rifle, but they have no interest in guns at all.

No one on this site has trashed the maker, or his abilities. They have only questioned the style, the physics of construction, and the choice of calibres. The trash talk has only come from one angle, the dude who's index fingers are writin' cheques his body can't cash.