New
Find
Notify
Tools

starter double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Lane, get that 500N. That's what I am working on now. We can be in pain together shocker Big Grin

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFMike:
Yeah Lane, get that 500N. That's what I am working on now. We can be in pain together shocker Big Grin

Hey Mike! Long time no hear!!!

I shot a buff in Uganda with the .458 WM load you helped me with and of course some NF bullets. Excellent performance to say the least.

What about a .500 NE??? Bad to shoot? You are one the guys I KNOW to believe what you say!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can, test drive before you commit to buying a rifle. Deciding which rifle is right for you is very,very subjective. You owe it to yourself to try as many rifles as you can to avoid getting a rifle that is ill-fitting or doesn't feel good in your hands.

Even if the rifle feels good in your hands, you need to shoot it to see how you manage the recoil and if you are able to hit with it.

To answer your question, look at a Chapuis or Krieghoff in 470NE. Both will serve you well, good resale value if/when you sell it. Some folks are put off by the Krieghoff cocking device, others love it. YMMV Cool

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luckily the thing weighs ~ 16 pounds. Still, I have to shoot setting at the bench or the bullets won't go into the stop tank. Just starting to gather data and it will be a while as I can't stand too many in a row setting down. I don't think I could stand a 10-11# hunting rifle. I've hit my limit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A gunsmith knowledgeable about DRs can make it weigh whatever you want.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Lane, sent you a PM.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
A gunsmith knowledgeable about DRs can make it weigh whatever you want.

C'mon Biebs, yeah, say we add 10 # to the ass end. Where does that get you?

It must be balanced on or slightly forward of the hinge pin.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need to add 10 lbs...it's probably not worth the effort, huh?

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm thinking the quest here is for a rifle to hunt with, at a reasonable (low) price, and to provide a power level equal to or greater than the 458 WM in the bolt rifle. I would think that would dictate a search among available used DRs such as Krieghoff, Merkel, Chapuis, Verney Carron, and, OK Dave Bush, maybe Blaser!!!!

Shame on you Biebs! You forgot to mention the beautiful Searcys in 450 NE.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sold the nicest one ever made....to YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But the 577 has happily replaced it. The 450 is kind of a girly caliber, don't you think, Mike?????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOLOLOLOLOL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the 450 is all ANYONE ever needs. Bigger calibers are closely associated with the dreaded SPS* condition.

*Small Pecker Syndrome....guilty as charged!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
*Small Pecker Syndrome....guilty as charged!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! Too much personal info!! Big Grin

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the 577 has happily replaced it. The 450 is kind of a girly caliber, don't you think, Mike?????

LOL, I had 577's before the 450's!

(But they were those little Snider single shots. Wink )

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of 577's I just spent two days with George at Champlins and he just received an Army & Navy 577 NE weighing about 16 pounds or so, a little heavy but well balanced and in grand shape with really great bores. He has it priced right for a 577 NE. Would love to own it but I'm partial to my 450-400 3 1/4's.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
ledvm,

Lots of good doubles out there. The V C guns are very good, fit and finish is well above the 12K asking price and Ken is very good to deal with.

Cabelas had a nice 470 merkel in buda, that they would deal on-- around 8K.

Mike Jines had a Ritterbush 450 3 1/4 at champlains for awhile. That would be a hell of a gun. One of my good buddies has a ritterbush in a 458 and it is one well made rifle.

There was a very nice Searcy on Gunbroker for around 8K.

Just some thoughts!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Lane, like you I just wanted a good quality double. I could sell a lot of other guns and buy something really expensive but truthfully that was not what I wanted. I like fine guns as much as the next guy but I don't get all wrapped up in the "romance" of a fine british rifle. I wanted a "shooter" in a good DG caliber. Well I went over to Cabelas and looked at the Sabatti rifles. I have heard lots on the internet but wanted to see the fit, finish and feel for myself.

I liked the rifle from the moment I held it, balance was great, fit/finish was spot on. So knowing that the 450NE was a powerful but not abusive cartridge, I BOUGHT IT!

I love this rifle, and after using some cabelas card points and even having a $50 off coupon, I was out the door for $4800. Many have speculated that these Sabattis are "undervalued". I often wonder if many of the others are actually quite "overvalued".

Good Luck

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well I am in the process of aquiring a .500 NE Merkel that I thought was to good to pass up. Hope I am up to the task of shooting it. If not...maybe wanting to trade for a .470 or .450.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane, Nothing that a little well-placed lead can't cure.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Well I am in the process of aquiring a .500 NE Merkel that I thought was to good to pass up. Hope I am up to the task of shooting it. If not...maybe wanting to trade for a .470 or .450.

I'm betting you will be surprised how well it handles. beer

Is it a Merkel with which I am familiar? Wink

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:

I'm betting you will be surprised how well it handles. beer

Is it a Merkel with which I am familiar? Wink

+1

Lane,

As Doc says you will be surprised at how manageable it is once you shoot it. You have no worries, friend!

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 Way to go Lane. At least I have more motivation now. I'll go to Sams and get a big bottle of aspirin and get this show on the road Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is hard to debate your selection of caliber with the intended use in your post. A classic double rifle cartridge with available ammo. Have fun!

EZ
quote:

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFMike:
tu2 Way to go Lane. At least I have more motivation now. I'll go to Sams and get a big bottle of aspirin and get this show on the road Big Grin

Yes Mike...as I am counting on you to have enough data that I don't have to start from scratch with load for some NFFNS bullets. Keep shootin!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it a Merkel with which I am familiar?

No sir...I ended up going with the one on GA website.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Lane. That one was $500 under dealer cost. Cost do better than that!!!

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Never Say Never!! I used to say the same thing and now I'm double poor. Got more than I can shoot. Start out with a double you can shoot a lot and have fun with it. I highly suggest a Siace 45-70. The Sabbatti 45-70 may be a good start also. THe 45-70 is the perfect American double caliber and cast bullets shoot great.

Sam

I can vouch for Sam! I went all the way from New Zealand to North Carolina and saw and shot some of Sam's collection of DRs along with another friend's rifles as well! What an experience it was - like a 7 year old having a week of Christmases!!

The idea of a 9.3 or a 45-70 as a practice gun is a great one. These calibers can be shot often and well. No problem shooting 20 or 30 rounds in a day. The big 450s & 470 kick a lot more. Sam's Chapui 470 did not fit me well and my cheek took a hammering with just a few rounds. The other friend's 600 Jeffery was easier to handle than the 470!

If & when I can afford DRs, I will get a smaller caliber for frequent practice and a real DG rifle for the fun of it and may be hunt buffalo one day.......sigh....dreams are free.... Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Way to go, Lane. That one was $500 under dealer cost. Cost do better than that!!!

I should get it in hand by Friday!!!!!!! dancing

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lane, you know David Guitar over in Brownwood? He has a Merkel 500 NE that he might part with. It probably has had 8 rounds through it. And it's been taking a nap in his gun safe ever since.
I think the serial number is #XXXX-1

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty,
Sure I know him. Knew he had a double. Spoke with him the other day and he said it might come out of retirement!

Besides...mine will be here Monday!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr Ledvm-

Please do let us know how the bonding process goes with your new baby.

My guess is that you will thoroughly enjoy the .500 NE Merkel.

tu2

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about the cocking mechanism on the Krieghoff that I hear so much about??? Why do some people hate it?

Rifles are a very personal thing and opinions always run deep but I for one have a deep dislike of any rifle that doesn't have a traditional safety catch......

I'd suggest that if you are going to buy a used double you should have an expert look it over carefully. There's a lot of good, used doubles out there but also a lot of crap that have been meddled with by people who don't know what they're doing.

You also need to decide what style of double you like the most as the various nations (IMO) each have a distinctive style to them. That isn't to say one is necessarily better than another just that they're different.

If you want an American style double then I reckon the Searcy range are good value and if you want a (new) British double, I'd suggest you look carefully at the new John Rigby & Co of London at www.johnrigbylondon.com..... but you might have to wait a bit for that.

If you want truly the best English double I'd suggest the Westley Richards doubles or if Scottish elegance is to your taste, then the round action Mckay Brown is the dog's doo dahs.

All that said, the most beautiful double I've ever not seen in the flesh is Nganga's Armeria De Madrid .500 here: http://forums.accuratereloadin...804/m/5401073231/p/1

All that said, my opinon isn't really worth shit on this. I make no secret of the fact that as much as I enjoy good double rifles and have played with and admired a good many over the years, I've never been able to justify owning one to myself.

I guess I just grew up too poor! Wink

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye Mountaineer:
Mr Ledvm-

Please do let us know how the bonding process goes with your new baby.

My guess is that you will thoroughly enjoy the .500 NE Merkel.

tu2

I definitely will sir!!! Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well...I have NOT touched her off yet...but...I do have my Merkel .500 NE in hand. So far...it is love at first sight!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
OK guys...shot my .500 NE 140-2 Merkel this weekend! I don't see what is NOT to like about these rifles!!!

Shot some 570 Swift A-frames going 2150 and recoild stiff but definitely tolerable. I shot 3 rounds through each barrel.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK guys...shot my .500 NE 140-2 Merkel this weekend! I don't see what is NOT to like about these rifles!!!

Shot some 570 Swift A-frames going 2150 and recoild stiff but definitely tolerable. I shot 3 rounds through each barrel.

Never a doubt in my mind! tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rifle in 470 would be a great place to start. The caliber will work well on anything and is the easiest caliber to resell if you find something you want to upgrade to.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

I have the 140-2.1 in 500 NE. Mine regulates well with 38 grains of 5744 and a 525 grain cast bullet. Chronys between 1200-1300 fps. You can have some real fun plinking with them.

We have great fun shooting jackrabbits, etc with them during the winter.

Jerry

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote