THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Any thoughts on the razzini rhino express .500NE
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any thoughts on the razzini rhino express .500NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
http://www.rizziniusa.com/prod...rifles/rhino-express

Any thoughts about this double rifle for a first timer. The fit and finish seem really nice. I like the engravings of the big day 5. Anyone shot one to evaluate performance?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
popcorn

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting....I knew they made O/U DRs in several calibers up to 375 H&H, but I've never seen a SxS, especially in the heavy calibers. I'd wait to see a review or talk to someone who has one.

Posts: 20146 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steel, regardless of brand, if you're looking for your first double rifle, I'd shoot a 500 NE before you pony up for one. To me at least, DRs don't seem to handle recoil as well as bolt rifles, IE the felt recoil will be greater with a DR than with a bolt rifle of the same or similar caliber.

Posts: 20146 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I handle recoil pretty well. I have a few .50 magnum handguns that i have shot 700 grain rounds out of. I know its not 100 percent the same but i have never been recoil shy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 700 grainer out of a 500 S&W will get your attention, I'm sure! If the Rizzini doubles are regulated well, they might be an option to a Merkel, Blaser S2, or a used Krieghoff.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Man. That is some fine polish work.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5187 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I'm with Jon, I'd shoot a few doubles before I would plunk down 10k...looks good, and if it's built correctly...a fair deal. There are a lot of good guns for around 10k. I have seen quite a few kreighoff guns selling for 8.5k. I saw a nice Merkel 470 the other day for 7.2k. Hey if it scratches your itch...then by all means...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to shoot a few before i buy but i dont know anyone who owns one and I'm sure sellers are not eager to let people shoot. I have only ever seen two at gun shops and they are always holland and holland models going for 25,000. I feel weird about asking to handle a gun I can't afford. I would like to go to vegas for DSC so I can handle of few up close to get an idea.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Where are you; you can shoot mine.

Posts: 17189 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naples florida

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Nice looking gun,but very few details provided,priced very reasonable but so were the Sabbati's.

DRSS

Posts: 2278 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How is the dallas safari club show in Vegas? How is there selection of double rifles and do they allow you to handle them to get a feel for the rifle?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or is it sci?

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
DSC was a couple weeks ago in Dallas. Safari Club International's show is next week in Las Vegas. Well worth the membership (required)fee. All the big boys are there. Not sure about B. Rizzini. Should be a vendor list online somewhere.

Posts: 5187 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As 505Ed said, there are a lot of double rifles out there at around the $10K price point. As you can imagine, few are fired very much. A DR is a very personal investment, and fit is much more important....like with a fine SxS bird gun. Don't rush it, handle as many as you can.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea that is what i will probably do. Handle as many as I can and see which one feels and looks the best. Maybe one day shoot one or two and then pull the trigger. I want to stay within the 10,000 or less range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Rizzini DR's have good reputation for shooting well, regulated well, and working when you pull the triggers. Plus you have a rifle that looks great and is finished great.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Join DSC and come to the big bore shoot. I think members would allow you to handle and maybe pop off a few from their doubles.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where do you guys do the big bore shoot. Sounds like fun

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If you care to make the trip, we'll have one up here in the spring. There will be more than you can count to play with.
Cal has started a thread here about it.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
If your ever around San Antonio and give me a little advance-so I know I am home, and I can hook you up with a few from 9.3x74 through 577.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll definitely check out the shows and maybe one day can go to the big bore shoots. And if I'm ever in the area I'll give you guys a shout.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
steel:
I know some folks like to keep their location private. However, you might get more correspondence if you included your LOCATION (state) at the bottom of your posts. Good luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Florida

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Florida to Alaska is an easy flight.
Last year we had 40-50 doubles from .350 to 4-bore.
Mike Brooks is not invited as he has more doubles than I do.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Apples to oranges. Yet, at least one B. Rizzini was regulated well. Nice cluster on this target.
http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100639485

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
There was at least 1, 30 cal DR there too Cal.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Apples to oranges. Yet, at least one B. Rizzini was regulated well. Nice cluster on this target.
http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100639485

If that is the makers proof target it means absolutely nothing. Proof targets that come with a new rifle are nothing more than window dressing. They are always only two shots, and have no identifying labels which bullet came from which barrel. In addition only two shots doesn't tell you anything except that two bullets hit the target.

In the case of the target for this rifle the two bullets seem to be hitting the same hole. If all bullets are hitting the same ragged hole, then this indicates the rifle is crossing at that distance.

This is the reason a test target should show four shots from each barrel, and identified on the target as to the order of firing, and from which barrel each shot came from on the target. Then to find how regulated the rifle is, finding the CENTER of each barrels individual group in relation to the other barrels individual barrel group CENTER.
Though individual shots will cross into the group of the other barrel, the centers of each barrels group will never cross at any distance if the rifle is regulated properly.

The rifle in this case may well be properly regulated but the target doesn't prove that.

...................................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info guys. Cant wait to start the search.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steel:
http://www.rizziniusa.com/prod...rifles/rhino-express

Any thoughts about this double rifle for a first timer. The fit and finish seem really nice. I like the engravings of the big day 5. Anyone shot one to evaluate performance?

That is a very nice looking rifle, and the price is great!

I'll reserve opinion on the quality till a few get in the market, but if it turns out it is a very good rifle I will likely be in the market for a 500NE myself! Of course the price will likely rise once it gets a little positive feed back from buyers!
....................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like it has a really slick rail for mounting optics. Can hardly notice it.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't see why some firearm makers are coming out with some weird looking stocks-very wide overall.I have seen this here,Verney Caron does this,also some American factory offerings like Winchester and Ruger,seen some on CZ also.Really ugly,IMO.Did makers forget what a normal or classic stock looks like?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I can't see why some firearm makers are coming out with some weird looking stocks-very wide overall.I have seen this here,Verney Caron does this,also some American factory offerings like Winchester and Ruger,seen some on CZ also.Really ugly,IMO.Did makers forget what a normal or classic stock looks like?

Confused George what are you referring to? The fore-end wood, the butt stock or all the wood?

If you are referring to the fore-end wood, I agree that it is almost a beavertail fore end, and could be a bit narrower. However the over all stock wood is fine if the fore-end was simply a little more splinter shaped.

This rifle comes in only two chamberings, 470NE and 500NE so the thickness of the butt stock is justified to spread the foot print out over a larger area to modify the felt recoil to the shooter.

I personally would narrow the for-end a bit and re-checker it, but I could live with the fore-end as is. The only thing I do not like is the Anson fore-end latch. I much prefer the Deeley lever latch.

I hope this rifle turns out to be a very good double rifle, if so they will sell a ton of them! As I said above if it turns out to be problem free, That quoted price will certainly rise!
................................................................... old

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
The buttstock.It almost looks like there is no pistol grip.The buttstock on a VC looks like a monstrosity.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The buttstock.It almost looks like there is no pistol grip.The buttstock on a VC looks like a monstrosity.

Seen plenty of those slender pistol grips crack (even on British guns) so much prefer that added thickness at the pistol grip

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
quote:

Seen plenty of those slender pistol grips crack (even on British guns) so much prefer that added thickness at the pistol grip

I agree! The grip on the Razzini is also, IMO, perfect for a heavy recoiling double rifle. this allows a better hand anchor to avoid strumming, and finger damage by the back of the trigger guard. It is more open than grips for bolt rifles or small caliber doubles. I simply do not like a tight grip on a double rifle of any chambering. As I said earlier my only complaint as to form with this rifle is the simi-beaver fore-end wood.

I do hope this rifle turns out to be a quality double rifle. If so, it will allow a lot of young guys to get into double rifle shooting because at the price point this could be a real deal.

....................................................................................... popcorn We will see down the road!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Slender? Why then did you not ask for this kind of stock when you built your custom rifles?

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Slender? Why then did you not ask for this kind of stock when you built your custom rifles?

I did not need to ask as my gun Smith did made that call himself. Note the top 458Mag over the Lighter 9.3s
All in the strong Australian Wallnut;

French walnut with steel straps top and bottom of the grip;

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What?? Look how ugly the stock pictured on the bottom is compared to the three pictured above?
Why did you not choose to make them all like the one on the bottom?
It is one thing to add more wood to strengthen a stock and another to change the shape of it.