Find
Notify
Tools

SWift A-Frames
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Anyone ever loaded Swift A Frames soft popints in there doubles???

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have loaded 500gr swifts in 470NE Merkel. I loaded 86gr of RL15 with a #2 Kynoch wad and 215M primers. My normal load for woodleigh soft nose is 87gr of RL15 and everything else the same. I have shot 2" groups at 50yds and 4" groups at 100yds with them.

Posts: 889 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
They shoot great in my 400.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Retriever they are the best shooting bullet in my 450 No2.

I have shot several cape buff and an eland with them [500gr], and with 480gr Woodleigh Softs's.

Recovered bullets have expanded perfectly and seem to penetrate just a little bit deeper than the Woodleigh.

I use the same powder charge for all of them 88gr of RL 15, with filler of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Some say the solid Partition section of the A- Frame might cause problems with a Doubles barrels.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would shoot nothing else in a DR BUT Swift has not released the 570 grain soft they are making for the 500N.E. Swift's are slightly harder so you drop your loads 1-3 grains like a solid verses soft and it should regulate very well with other softs. IMO a Swift bullet will not harm an older DR, they're not harder than steel jacketed Woody.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used exclusively the 225 gr. swift A-frame in my now sold .350 Rigby No. 2 double. Good accuracy and great performance on the big antelope, notably gemsbok.

Regards

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
Swift's are slightly harder so you drop your loads 1-3 grains...

That's my experience too, but Mike Brady told me that it wasn't because they were harder but because they were softer.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:

That's my experience too, but Mike Brady told me that it wasn't because they were harder but because they were softer.

Chris, I don't know about them being softer, I actually think the primary reason might be that the bearing surface of the Swift's is greater than most other soft's so more pressure, anyway I like em a lot if you don't know by now.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:

Chris, I don't know about them being softer, I actually think the primary reason might be that the bearing surface of the Swift's is greater than most other soft's so more pressure, anyway I like em a lot if you don't know by now.

I agree.

I also don't think they are tapered like or as much as Woodleigh's.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote