THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Sabatti Double...what is your general impression of it??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti Double...what is your general impression of it??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am definatly interested in a 470, but the Sabatti just seems to good to be true for such a low price!

For those of you who have handled or shot a Sabatti, what is your general impression of the gun? More specifically, does it "feel" like a classic English double rifle, Searcy, etc..or does it have the crappy/cheap feel of the Biakal/Remmington 45-70?

I haven't had the chance to hold one yet, so just looking for your imput.

Thanks!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Looked at a Sabatti 45-70 DR the other day at Cabelas, wanted to see a .470 or .500 but they didn't have any in stock. It was certainly nothing like a Baikal but it wasn't an H&H either. It did not have the appearance or feel of a cheap rifle. Seemed like a lot of gun for the money to me.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
The difference between the medium bore and large bore Sabatti DRs is quite definitive. You simply cannot make judgments about the Sabatti DG rifles based upon their medium bores; it's like comparing the proverbial apples and oranges.

Cabela's has with the Sabatti large bore DRs, as they did with their Merkel DRs, given specific instructions as to how Sabatti builds and finishes the rifles with "special" features. The latest Sabatti big bores have a serial number sequence that begins with CAB, for Cabela's.

If other sources on AR are correct, there were 20 each 470NE and 10 500NE in the last shipment, which have now all been sold. I've been told that a gunsmith who purchased one of these 500s is very impressed, as are some experienced African hunters who have examined them (without disassembly) for fit & finish. They may well need some personal custom work on an individual basis. I have been told that the recoil pads could be replaced and that some additional weight could be added to the 470/500 class. Neither of these are considered major issues. A mercury recoil reducer and a Pachmayer/LimbSaver pad would address both issues.

I'll know more in a couple weeks when my new Sabatti 500 NE arrives. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised, as Cane Rat intimates above.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
The idea of a $5,500 .500 NE with ejectors is very appealing. The rifle that I looked at was nothing like the Russian junk that Remington was peddling. I'll be interested to hear what Lionhunter thinks once he receives his .500 and has a chance to shoot it, based on what I have seen I think he is going to like it. I would like to examine one of the true big bores but honestly wouldn't be afraid to order one sight unseen based on the 45-70 I looked at.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too...can't wait to hear LionHunter's comments. Maybe Sabatti will prove that a big bore double CAN be made for less than HALF the price of a basic entry-level double. Awesome!

BTW: I am not expecting a Purdey, but a good quality, basic double will be good enough...you can keep the engraving and XXX wood.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I did buy mine sight unseen; not even pics. I did have a close friend and African hunter who has handled and shot many more DRs than I have go take a look at it. He called me from the store and was very impressed with what he was seeing. I had the regulation target faxed to me and put it on hold. I bought it over the phone the next day.

Cane Rat, you can meet me at the range after it arrives if you wish to examine/shoot it, if you are still in the area. What are you current DRs?

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
I did buy mine sight unseen; not even pics. I did have a close friend and African hunter who has handled and shot many more DRs than I have go take a look at it. He called me from the store and was very impressed with what he was seeing. I had the regulation target faxed to me and put it on hold. I bought it over the phone the next day.

Cane Rat, you can meet me at the range after it arrives if you wish to examine/shoot it, if you are still in the area. What are you current DRs?

My VC Demas that I posted over on this other thread is my only current double. But like I said that Sabatti .500 NE looks damn good for $5K. I'm anxious to hear what you think of it once you get it and have a chance to try it out. I'd like to go with you and try it out but unfortunately I moved away from the Bay area a couple of years ago. I'm, seriously considering buying one of these because I just suspect you'll not be able to get them for that price for long.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...0101804/m/5401073231

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
So, how was the Winter in Montana? Your VC is a beauty, 470 if I recall?

Semper Fi

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Thanks, yes, a .470.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a 450 NE at the SCI show ( non ejector )
I am very pleased so far - shoots very well and
fit & finish is very good. I will post more at a later time as I am still working on my load. Others who are familiar with doubles have told me that my rifle is already acceptable for DG hunts even with factory ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at the big bores they had at the DSC convention and thought they looked pretty nice but they were already sold. A few weeks ago I picked up the 9.3x74R and although like somebody said above they are much different than the big bores I love it. It shoots an inch and a half at fifty yards with the Norma Oryx load. I thought the sights were cheezy looking when I bought it but after shooting it I really like them. The fit and finish is much better than I expected and it handles very nicely. Only time will tell how it will stand up to heavy shooting but I will definitely buy a 450 if one becomes available.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question for JA : What type of scope mounts came on your 9.3 x 74R & are you using a scope ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rail type base moount.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oops, didn't spell mount right and didn't answer second part. As of now I do not plan on scoping it.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
JA,

Local Cabelas only has the 45-70, I am interested in the 9.3
I have a few questions for you.
The 45-70 barrels were very thin at the muzzle, how are the barrels on the 9.3 ?
What does the 9.3 weigh ?
Do you have any likes or dislikes ?
How is recoil ?

Thanks
Nitro450exp

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes the barrels are a bit thin and mine weighs 7 pounds and 4 ounces. I thought the recoil would be bad at this weight but it is not. This gun fits me pretty well with a LOP of 15 1/4 inches and that probably helps with felt recoil. The more I shoot it the better I like it. I am actually leaving for Texas in the morning to help cull exotic does in some thick brush so I am looking forward to hunting with it.

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
dancing
My 500 NE arrived at my FFL dealer today. Due to our CA 10 day waiting law I can't get it until Thursday next week (I started the paperwork Monday). bsflag I really hate our stupid gun laws here, and they are only gonna get worse. homer I'd move out of the state if I could. CRYBABY

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
dancing
My 500 NE arrived at my FFL dealer today. Due to our CA 10 day waiting law I can't get it until Thursday next week (I started the paperwork Monday). bsflag I really hate our stupid gun laws here, and they are only gonna get worse. homer I'd move out of the state if I could. CRYBABY

How incredibly stupid California politicians are. When's the last time someone committed a crime with a .500 NE double?

Mike,

Please give us a shooting report as you as you have the chance. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
dancing

Mike,
Californication sucks, I live over in Arizona, our gun laws here are getting better by the day, The Gov. just signed legislation that you no longer need a concealled carry permit to carry. I have friends from Africa come out every year (and freeload) we fill the back of the pick-up full of guns and go out and shoot (including .50BMGS) they just cant understand how lax (say freedom) our laws are. No waiting period, gun show no background check.

I tell them all the time, that is what makes our freedoms worth fighting for. Worth dying for. That is what American Exceptionalism is. patriot

Nganga

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3449 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I think I could do Arizona. Spent a week in Tucson, twice. Don't know where to look in the state for the right area. Confused

And yes, I will be doing a report on what results I have from an initial inspection and shoot, once I can get my hands on it.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You mean that your local FFL dealer won't even let you fondle it and drool over it in the shop?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Oh, he'd let me, but then I just couldn't walk away Wink . Better to simply suffer and look forward to the pleasant surprise, since it was bought sight unseen.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The words, "poor bastard" come to mine. Kinda reminds me of the those uptight prudish girls, you know the kind. You know what to expect and it is just teasing you until the timeline is right.

Congratulations of a hopefully wonderful specimen. If you tire of her quickly, I might know this guy in the market. Wink

A school teacher with champagne tastes, and a beer pocket book.

Posts: 46 | Location: South GA | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote