THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Travelling case ... again ...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Travelling case ... again ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted
I remember a few years ago Tony (N E 450 No2) had a disaster with one of his doubles breaking at the wrist while in transport in a Tuffpak.

I have two regular-length Tuffpaks and have used them with great results.

Nevertheless, I want to do whatever is necessary to make sure that both my doubles travel safely so that I can actually use them for their intended purposes.

As I see it, my choices are:
1)break down the doubles, put them in long soft cases, fold them over and use the Tuffpak;

2)buy a short Tuffpak and do as above (or in soft cases made for broken-down doubles);

3)buy a different hard case made for broken-down doubles (Storm, Pellican, Americase, etc.).

I like the Tuffpak for a lot of reasons one of which is that it doesnt necessarily look like a gun case, but I'm leaving out of JFK and I don't want an anti-gun TSA representative taking it out of a carefully folded-over soft case then throwing the pieces back in.

As you all know, the handling of firearms is supposed to follow certain rules but one is often at the whim of the TSA and airline personnel.

So, I am prepared for a flurry of advice - we are only 26 days away from take-off ...

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I have never had a problem yet using a Pelican case,have used my case several times for domestic and international travel.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

I use Tuffpak now and I get a large scoped rifle soft case and put my soft double rifle case inside it. Two cases around the gun plus the Tuffpak. Never had a problem doing that. If you need a break down aluminum case I have one you can borrow. I think Tuffpak is better.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I use a Kalispel and would not use a Tuffpak.

That said, my buddy used a Tuffpak with a double on the last trip. He was taking a VC in .500NE. He put the rifle in the green VC hard case (a take down case) and put the VC hard case in the Tuffpak. His rifle came through beautifully.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice and thank you Sam for the generous offer - I'll let you know which direction I go.
tu2

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Give the SKB cases a look. They are lighter and easier to handle than a Pelican. I used Pelican cases for years and after using the SKB, I have not touched my Pelican cases other than to move them up to the attic.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't do anything that assumes the TSA thugs will do any work. If the safety of your rifle depends on them putting a case back together right you could be in trouble and not just from the anti-gunners working there. Remember they use a fragile stamp that is engraved on the bottom of a pogo stick!

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Tuff Pak last month and just left my rifle together, I could just see someone dropping the barrels or the stock and then I would go to jail. I had a bolt rifle also in the Tuff Pak. I am not so sure it would not be easier to use a Storm Case. I found myself wishing I had once I had to pull both rifles out several times.

The problem is packing the softcases you need for on the truck,if you use a Storm Case. That is unless you put your rifles in there individual softcases and then put them in the Storm Case but then you need to remove the foam from the Storm Case.

I really like the Tuff Pak - with one rifle, but with two, and some inspector that is in a hurry, not so much fun.

I am thinking about going with the Storm Case next time, is what I ship in if I have to send a rifle off for work, and with propper cut foam I worry less.

Would be easy if they didn't charge so much for the additional weight, my Tuff Pak with 2 rifles,in 2 soft cases, and my ammo belt went 49 lbs. not much room for more.

Good Luck

HBH

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Doc

I've used a 2 rifle Americase the past six times. Put both doubles (fully assembled) in the Red Ox flat dog (two different colors, that way the trackers, and I, know "big gun" from the "little gun") lashed down. Even though the anti gun baggage thugs in Hethrow penetrated the side panel, the guns were just fine. Good luck! tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still like and use the Tuffpak.

That was the only time I traveled with my doubles put together. All other times I used a long soft rifle case, with the doubles broken apart, and the case folded over.

I do think that my TuffPac was mishandled in Chicago by a particular TSA person, but my 450 No2 might have had a slight "stock problem" as well. My 9,3 Chapuis in the same TuffPak suffered no issues.

Still,I will NEVER, EVER, travel on any airline with a double rifle put together.

If leaving tomorrow for Africa, or anywhere else, on an airplane, I would use a TuffPak.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I still like and use the Tuffpak.

That was the only time I traveled with my doubles put together. All other times I used a long soft rifle case, with the doubles broken apart, and the case folded over.

I do think that my TuffPac was mishandled in Chicago by a particular TSA person, but my 450 No2 might have had a slight "stock problem" as well. My 9,3 Chapuis in the same TuffPak suffered no issues.

Still,I will NEVER, EVER, travel on any airline with a double rifle put together.

If leaving tomorrow for Africa, or anywhere else, on an airplane, I would use a TuffPak.

Tony, I am indeed a dinasour. The Tuffpak's were not in existance many years ago when I chose the Americase. I have been well pleased with the Americase. That being said, I would take a hard look at the Tuffpak in the future.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I travel with double in soft case broken down folded in half. will not move. When I travel with my Kimber it is in soft case with butt end of rifle in bottom of case and not muzzle down.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,are you taking any non-breakdowns, or just your 600 and the 375 DRs? I have a Pelican 1650 breakdown case with 2 levels that I use with my DRs and Blasers. I could drop it off at Griffin & Howe and you could pick it up at your convenience.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen, the Americase and the Pelican are Great RIFLE cases...

In the past I have used the Pelican many times.

But in todays world with the "new" rules on Airline Travel, being able to carry more that just a rifle or two in a case is a good idea.

Think about this, a standard full length TuffPack weighs less than a Pelican full length 2 long gun case.

On my last trip to Zimbabwe I took my Wife, THREE TuffPaks, 2 full size and one Takedown, and the largest wheeled duffle Filson makes.

Besides the guns we were carrying over to use, we were carrying over a bunch of stuff for the PH...

I could not have done that with regular Pelican/Americase Gun cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I travel with double in soft case broken down folded in half. will not move. When I travel with my Kimber it is in soft case with butt end of rifle in bottom of case and not muzzle down.

Mike

That is a good idea. IF you are traveling with a rifle that does not break down, put the stock down/barrel up.

That way if the TuffPack is standing up and gets knocked over there is less stress on the pistol grip of the stock. That is the weakest part of the stock.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have successfully used both the Tuffpak and Pelican cases. For African trips I use the Tuffpak. Double rifles are placed in Boyt softside takedown cases. Cabela's also sells these. I wrap the barrels in an old towel as extra protection. The Tuffpak has more capacity than the Pelican...but the Pelican is made from heavier material. The Tuffpak derives its strength from the moment of inertia and section modulus of its cross-section.

Eagle One
DRSS (.450 NE, .375 H&H, .45-70)
NRA Benefactor
SCI Life
SASS Life
Vintager

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always put the barrel down in my Tuffpack, much easier to remove the rifle for inspection and have never had a problem. Of course the bottom of the Tuffpack is stuffed with clothes etc. I take my drilling in a breakdown soft case in the Tuffpack and will do the same with my double when I take it traveling via air.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Paul,are you taking any non-breakdowns, or just your 600 and the 375 DRs? I have a Pelican 1650 breakdown case with 2 levels that I use with my DRs and Blasers. I could drop it off at Griffin & Howe and you could pick it up at your convenience.

Biebs,

Just got back from Upstate with my daughter - she put the Mark XXII through its paces on bullseyes, Orange clay pigeons and a couple of full soda cans. .22LR wreaks havoc on full soda cans - to her and my own delight.

I played with the 375FL and 600NE. I'm amazed at the accuracy of that 600.

Here is a quick "One-Two" at 50 yards:

Both will be making the trip along with Pop's 300 SAUM Rem Ti. Might take the 416 WBY too.

So may take you up on your offer for the two doubles. Thanks.

Paul

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

Is the 1650 long enough for 26" barrels? Both of my doubles wear 26".

Have been thinking long and hard about using the regular Tuffpak stuffed tight vs. buying a takedown Tuffpak and a couple of Boyt take-down soft cases for inside vs. a Storm iM3200/Pellican 1720 with the doubles broken down. The doubles weight just under 22lbs together (13.25 and 8.6) plus 1lb for scope with rings so any of these combos keep it under the magic 50 lbs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc
Since all my guns breakdown that I hunt with in Africa, I use an Americase set up for 2 stocks 2 scopes and 3 barrels.
The new Bailey is a breakdown and will fit very nice with the Blaser all in one case and right at 50 pounds for everything.
Also the smaller cases won't draw as much attention as a big long gun case.
Oh well
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the 1650 long enough for 26" barrels? Both of my doubles wear 26".

I'll measure it up today for ya'll.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, It's 29" across. I put my Browning in with 28" barrels,...fits easily.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Perfect Jon tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to stop down there later this week to pick up a check and some 500 NE they borrowed from me. I'll let you know when it's there.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to stop down there later this week to pick up a check and some 500 NE they borrowed from me. I'll let you know when it's there.

Thanks Jon beer

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have traveled many times to Africa with my doubles completely put together in my Tuff Paks. I put each of them in very thick soft side gun cases, place some thick foam padding in the bottom of the Tuff Pak, slide the rifles, muzzle down, into the Tuff Sak, and then the Tuff Sak into the Tuff Pak, put a heavy chunk of foam padding on top and close the lid. I have never had any problem. I do the same with my bolt action rifles, taking out the bolts and placing them in separate socks and then into a cordura case, identifying the bolts, and placed either on top the of Tuff Sak, or attached to the inside of the Tuff Pak. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I do things a little different. For my double I use an aluminum break down case inside a large duffel bag. I pack clothes around the guncase. Be sure to consider the weight of the alumimun case as makes are heavier than others.

I separate the stock from the barrel & action on my bolt rifle and pack them in a breakdown shotgun case inside a duffel bag again with clothes packed around.

The advantage is no one knows you are traveling with firearms so they are less likely to be stolen. When I arrived in Zim with my two duffel bags my PH said "where are your guns!" It even fooled him.

The disadvantage is pulling the guns for inspection is a little more work.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goshot
You may think you are fooling someone that your guns can't be seen or no gun case but when TSA runs the bag thru the xray scanner they see the gun parts very clearly.
One of these days you will get to your destination without the gun. If the gun declaration is not with the gun they can confiscate the weapon. Also some airlines state the gun will not be transported if not in a factory made solid gun case with locks. Not worth it just insure it and travel legally.
This is from experience.
Larry
I would hate for some guy in zim take my new Bailey Bradshaw double.

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
So Larry, where did goshoot say he did not declare his gun? Confused Possibly I missed something.

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I do things a little different. For my double I use an aluminum break down case inside a large duffel bag. I pack clothes around the guncase. Be sure to consider the weight of the alumimun case as makes are heavier than others.

goshoot:

Is it the product that this company sells or something similar to it?

http://www.strongcasebytnb.com/Firearms-Case.php

What this company is selling is a double rifle break down gun case stored in a separate compartment in the bottom of a duffle bag made specifically for that purpose and is readily accessible without having to open the main compartment.

If not anybody out there that has used this product and can report on the strong gun case/duffle bag concept?

Malek
Good hunting/shooting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta makes them as well...duffle on top, locking bottom compartment to put a gun case. They make a long size for full-length firearms, and a shorter one for breakdowns. The only issue with that is that ammunition is not supposed to be in the same piece of luggage as the firearm. Maybe since the bottom has a locked case in it, it's OK? I'd hate to chance it at the airport.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beretta makes them as well...duffle on top, locking bottom compartment to put a gun case. They make a long size for full-length firearms, and a shorter one for breakdowns. The only issue with that is that ammunition is not supposed to be in the same piece of luggage as the firearm. Maybe since the bottom has a locked case in it, it's OK? I'd hate to chance it at the airport.

The ammo issue is the first thing that jumped out at me as well. Also, what would the weight be with 2 rifles, ammo, and gear. Certainly over the 50 lbs limit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have airline traveled several times just as goshoot has stated, with a takedown aluminium gun case in a duffle bag.

It has always worked great. I did declare the guns at the gate.

However onece the duffle bag goes into the baggage area, it does not liik like a gun case so no one else knows the duffle bag contains guns just by looking.

The duffle bag will come out with the regular baggage.

Also many times in Joberg, and back in the states my Tuffpacks come through the luggage with the golf clubs, bicycles and baby carriages...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double Don
I guess the way he wrote it.
[QUOTE] The advantage is no one knows you are traveling with firearms so they are less likely to be stolen. When I arrived in Zim with my two duffel bags my PH said "where are your guns!" It even fooled him.

Just miss understood who he was fooling.
Biebs is right not sure how you can pack with 2 guns and a good case and be much under the 50 pounds. My double and a Blaser and scopes and 2 barrels with an Americase is just a tad under 50.
Now I was told the transfers like to the Caprivi is a 20KG limit total. Hell that not even the guns let alone my clothes and gear.
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, I did not log in for a while.

In answer your questions: I always declare my guns at the counter. I assume when guns are stolen they are taken by the baggage handlers when they are routed through some area away from public view. Out of the thousands of bags they see I am sure it is the ones that catch their eye by standing out in some way that get taken. I don't use any special duffel bags made for guns, just the standard extra large round duffel bags you can buy anywhere. These look like standard baggage not a gun case. Who would want to bother stealing a beat up duffel bag. I put one gun case in each duffel bag with my clothes packed around them so the 50 lb. weight limit is not a problem.

The aluminum break down case I use is made by ICC Case They were lighter than the other brands I looked at.

Ammo may legally go in the same bag as the gun. I have a unique way of packing my ammo too. To avoid problems with my hand loads I make fancy sticky labels on my color printer. I make up a brand name and list caliber, bullet weight, etc. so the hand loads look to the idiot airline or customs people like a factory ammo. I stick them on to 20 round plastic ammo boxes so these labels must be broken to open the case. It looks so good it would likely fool even experienced gun guys. I pack these "factory" boxes in a small locking boxes. I also made up some three foot plastic coated braided stainless steel cables (from Home Depot) with a small loop on each end.
I use these to attach the padlock on the rifle case to the padlock on the ammo case so the rifle case and ammo case are locked together. These cables are great. I use them for many things. I also use them to lock my stuff to pipes or bed frames in hotels or in camp.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goshoot:

Ammo may legally go in the same bag as the gun.

Anyone else here agree with this statement? I haven't found this to be the case. I've made 8 international and many domestic (including Alaska) hunting trips and all have required the ammo and rifles to be in different bags. Twice, I've had to remove the ammo in a separate locked box from the non-rifle bag and send it by itself (SAA and Iberia out of Jo-Berg).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Anyone else here agree with this statement? I haven't found this to be the case. I've made 8 international and many domestic (including Alaska) hunting trips and all have required the ammo and rifles to be in different bags. Twice, I've had to remove the ammo in a separate locked box from the non-rifle bag and send it by itself (SAA and Iberia out of Jo-Berg).

My experience is the same as yours, but I do see hunting reports on AR where travelers have been required to carry everything in the same case.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

I have never ever flown anywhere, USA or to Africa, that I did not have ammo in my guncase with the guns.

I usually have ammo in my other checked bag as well.
Just in case they ask.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Doing a very small amount of reading on this subject this morning, I see that the TSA is no longer requiring separate containers for rifles and ammo. However, concerning Africa, and specifically South Africa, since the majority of flights terminate in or transit thru Jo-Berg, a little more research reveals two quick points.

1) South African Law requires ammo and firearms in separate containers. Specifically it says this law applies for DEPARTURE from SA. I suppose that means ARRIVING with ammo and weapons in same container is fine.

2) If flying on South African Airlines, (I usually fly Delta), their company policy requires separation of ammo and firearms into different containers. Of note, the SAA website also prohibits placing the firearms case in the same bag as the "regular" checked bag (their terminology).

I didn't check the others as I refuse to go through the UK, if at all possible. I have heard of guys traveling with ammo and rifles in the same case, but I've always been asked to confirm that they are separate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.side-by-side-match....ed/wp3c8d81e7_0f.jpg

When you look for somthing like that enembi the the wright addres to speak with.