What say you boys
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
.450/400 number 1

.450/400 #2

To the experts here….
Honest opinions on value…..
But also the effectiveness debate on Elephant bulls (headshot..frontal..and side)
The .450/400 has “lower energy” than others but Sectional Density is excellent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both show pending sale. Did you buy them both? A 450-400 solid is plenty for elephant...no worries there.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like them both. I'd take the one with the splinter forend though.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
No2 doesn't look much like a splinter forend to me. More beaver-tail than splinter.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Both show pending sale. Did you buy them both? A 450-400 solid is plenty for elephant...no worries there.

My partner and I bought the pair together…we have some hunts coming up in the next two years for Buff/Elephant
I’ve always used my bolt actions in the last…my first double

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Number 1 is stunning!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Merkles, they are cheap and I am always stressed taking my high dollar doubles to 3rd world countries, and on airlines these days..Lost one at a Las Vegas gun show some years ago, it was insured but not replaceable...should always be a consideration.
Actually, I was most comfortable with a good big bore Mauser or pre 64 mod 70 that I could collet my insurance and go buy another..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote