THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Side by side or over and under ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Side by side or over and under ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:
Originally posted by Balule:
Todd, I saw with my own eyes that Mike left camp every day in a certain new fangled contraption called a Toyota…. the ox wagon was probably in for a service I guess stir

Buzz is a pussy and refused to walk. Eeker

Good come back!

yuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would also refuse to walk if I left camp with non-matching slippers

Posts: 403 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
OOOOOOOH!! I think if Buzz sees this, the next time some guys might just find out how much he can walk......

470EDDY

Posts: 2676 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balule:
I would also refuse to walk if I left camp with non-matching slippers

Good point.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
O/U or S/S, does it really matter, once you put a scope on it you have violated the standards of gentleman shooters everywhere and turned your rifle into an abomination -- for all intent and purposes you might as well be bolt trash. Roll Eyes

+1 tu2

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
1-2-3 leaf express sights. Ivory bead front. End of story.

+1 beer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
10-4 on that....if your target is far enough away to warrant a scope, you should be shooting a bolt rifle :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I believe that the double you used on the lion and the warthog has a scope on it. You are an outcast and should be ostracized, ridiculed and forced to sell your DR collection and beg to borrow, shoot or own a Blaser for eternity! stir

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I TOLD ya he was no good! :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
own a Blaser for eternity! stir

Ouch That'll leave a mark! jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
own a Blaser for eternity! stir

Ouch That'll leave a mark! jumping

You're all TURDS! Each and every! Cool

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Careful! Beibs has a copyright on that phrase...

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Todd has a copyright on being one :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not too late Todd, I still have time to send you the S2. It's only in .470 NE but that should do for the hunt. I've already taken an elephant with it so it knows what to do. stir hilbily

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Rick, please do send me that S2. I know exactly what to do with it! Whistling

"Justin",

Oh hell, never mind! I'm just not in a cold hearted enough mood tonight as I'm thinking of Safari next week. moon

jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd

You should be banned just for posting that picture---

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OR for scoping a Double Rifle. Biebs is right, Todd's a turd!!!!! Or maybe a blaser closet queen. stir jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that Miley Cyrus after she had a sex change or the other way around ?

Posts: 625 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I haven't laughed this much in a long time! animal

Todd, the secret of you shooting my double with the red dot sight, is safe with Mike and I!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
[Why don't you think you could of accomplished the same thing with a side by side?

To me, the side by side is the ultimate close quarters gun, characterized by its open sights and stock and fore end designed to resemble as much as possible a well fitting shotgun. An over and under is not quite as good a performer in this regard and its stock design and sighting system are more of a compromise to allow close in work, but also to extend the range by the use of more precise sighting equipment, often a scope.

When I ordered my double rifle, I took the stock measurements off of my favorite Perazzi international skeet gun, which happens to be quite long, with very little drop at heel and comb.

Where over and unders have acquired such a dubious reputation is in the hands of continental hunters, who try to make of it a rifle suitable for both driven game and for still hunting from a high seat, the latter application involving the use of high power scopes with huge objectives, a truly bizarre spectacle.

My over and under doubles are all equipped with scopes, but the scopes are all of the straight tube variety and mounted as low as possible. They don't overwhelm the rifle and aiming through them does not change my head position on the stock significantly.

I don't like open sights and would never use them except in an emergency, My .505 caliber bolt gun is equipped with receiver sights, and if I were to go to Africa again with my over and under rifles, I would probably take along receiver sights designed to fit in the claw mount bases on my double rifles. Such sights were not available when I did my African hunting in the 1970's.

When I shot my eland at 200 yards, we were out in a semi-desert area of low bushes and stunted trees. I took my shot lying down across one of the bushes, which gave me a comparatively steady platform to aim off of using my 3X Lyman All American scope. I hit the eland in the heart lungs area.

As he turned to escape, I fired a second shot, which hit his left hip joint, shattering the ball and leaving the 300 grain Silvertip .375 H&H bullet in the socket of the joint. He was dead by the time we got to him, but the second shot anchored him in a way the first shot had failed to do.

I have never seen a side by side rifle with which I would feel comfortable enough to be able to connect on those two shots.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
[Why don't you think you could of accomplished the same thing with a side by side?

To me, the side by side is the ultimate close quarters gun, characterized by its open sights and stock and fore end designed to resemble as much as possible a well fitting shotgun. An over and under is not quite as good a performer in this regard and its stock design and sighting system are more of a compromise to allow close in work, but also to extend the range by the use of more precise sighting equipment, often a scope.

When I ordered my double rifle, I took the stock measurements off of my favorite Perazzi international skeet gun, which happens to be quite long, with very little drop at heel and comb.

Where over and unders have acquired such a dubious reputation is in the hands of continental hunters, who try to make of it a rifle suitable for both driven game and for still hunting from a high seat, the latter application involving the use of high power scopes with huge objectives, a truly bizarre spectacle.

My over and under doubles are all equipped with scopes, but the scopes are all of the straight tube variety and mounted as low as possible. They don't overwhelm the rifle and aiming through them does not change my head position on the stock significantly.

I don't like open sights and would never use them except in an emergency, My .505 caliber bolt gun is equipped with receiver sights, and if I were to go to Africa again with my over and under rifles, I would probably take along receiver sights designed to fit in the claw mount bases on my double rifles. Such sights were not available when I did my African hunting in the 1970's.

When I shot my eland at 200 yards, we were out in a semi-desert area of low bushes and stunted trees. I took my shot lying down across one of the bushes, which gave me a comparatively steady platform to aim off of using my 3X Lyman All American scope. I hit the eland in the heart lungs area.

As he turned to escape, I fired a second shot, which hit his left hip joint, shattering the ball and leaving the 300 grain Silvertip .375 H&H bullet in the socket of the joint. He was dead by the time we got to him, but the second shot anchored him in a way the first shot had failed to do.

I have never seen a side by side rifle with which I would feel comfortable enough to be able to connect on those two shots.

I can show you one! Just take a look at that short little video I posted! Nothing special about an O/U and taking longer shots vs SxS. It's all about proper regulation and matching the ammo to the gun. If you get the barrels shooting parallel, the only thing you need to worry about is elevation. With the O/U, elevation variation works against you with increasing range.

Close inspection will show exactly where that bullet impacted from 150 yards!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Thanks guys! I haven't laughed this much in a long time! animal

Todd, the secret of you shooting my double with the red dot sight, is safe with Mike and I!

Hey, I've got no reservations with shooting that fine double with a red dot! That's a shooting rig right there.

My only regret is letting Jines get away with Photoshopping a Blaser into my hands. We all know that NEVER HAPPENED!

shame

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bsflag bsflag bsflag
Not that we believe that for a minute but now you're backpeddling on shooting the blaser???? stir shocker

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Never happened. Photoshopped!

holycow