THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    If I said it matched my level of interest would it matter?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If I said it matched my level of interest would it matter?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted
Probably not, but I'm gonna show a picture of it anyway. I recently bought a set of those 45-70 inserts from EAA. They don't sell a Baikal shotgun anymore so I went with the Remington Sparton SPR220. I thought it would be the same but was very wrong. I spent half the day today trying to figure out why this thing wouldn't go together. Hell, I even read the directions twice!. After I finally gave up and got into the beer I got to thinking about the extractors. I went back and tore it all down and after looking it over again I determined the extractors for the shotgun and the barrel liners didn't match up! The extractor for the Spartan shotgun run through the entire center section of the two barrels while the barrel liners only have quarter cuts. Well, after some serious dremel work the shotgun barrel extractor was cut in half and the left over piece soildered back in place. Now my double bubble gun is good to go.

I had some old parts in the drawer and screwed them on. I plan on re profiling the stock, but that'll be another day.

I've got two old PC's that need a little attention and my refrigerator has been making a little noise lately shame. No, I'm going to Africa and this will never be anything more than what it is. I've got about 200lbs of lead and a very nice bullet mold. This is going to be a fun gun and nothing more.
Roll Eyes
Big Grin

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds to me like you are going to have a lot of fun!

Let us know how it shoots....and then kill somethinbg with it! Smiler

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
It looks good to me. If it wasn't for the plain stock, it would look like most any other SxS shotgun.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Here is what I had planned for the butt stock. It may or may not happen.

Terry

Photoshopped

One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks good, what did you use for the quarter rib ?

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC1

There is nothing wrong with you "cobbled up" 45/70.

Let us know how she shoots.

I have killed several deer with the 45/70 ctg.

If someone would make a nice affordable 45/70 double I would have to have one as it would make a great N A hunting gun.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nice Terry!!!
Jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it!!! The quarter rib looks particularly well done.

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
The quarter rib came from here

This is a .300H&H winchester M70 I had built about 5yrs ago. It had this Dakota quarter rib it. I never much cared for the way it looked and pulled it off a few years ago and added regular iron sights. I threw the rib in the junk bin and forgot about it. When I started looking for some sights for my new toy I found it. I held it with a pair pliers and pushed it down on a bench top sander with a 40gr belt and held it there until the bottom was flat. I did the same with the front sight base. After that I drilled and tapped the pieces in place. I skim coated the bottom with bedding compound to make sure everything had a tight fit. I don't think if you saw it in person you would be all that impressed with it, but it should work and it was free (well sort of Smiler.)

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get a chance to file the sights and regulate the barrels if need be. I think I've got a plan to do it if I need to, but I'm hoping it won't need it. My goal is to be able to put a bullet from each barrel into a pie plate sized target at 50yds consistantly. Too ambitious?

Terry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it should shoot that well with a bit of "fiddle fussing", and be a genuine blast to shoot. Planning to stay with trapdoor loads, or let pressure give you the final velocity numbers? What fun!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote