THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Scope "boresighting" on a double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope "boresighting" on a double
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I've mounted 100 scopes....on bolts, autoloaders, levers...but not on a double. Does one simply make sure rings are aligned and then go to the 25 yard range and work from there? My 375 Flanged is getting a 1.5x5.5 Loopie with a #4 ret and I want to at least get on the paper.

Thanks.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Leupold put on my 9.3X74R and the gunsmith boresighted it by splitting the difference between both barrels on windage and then set elevation for one barrel. It was pretty close to right when I fired the first couple of rounds.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i did.... my chapuis did not change regualtion with a scope... i stuck a redfield 2-7x20 on it and banged away.... took maybe 6 shots to get it 2" hi at 25 yds...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Everybody tries to make these things complicated, when it is a very simple thing to do.

First you need to find a load that shoots to the regulation with the iron sights. This somntimes requires the adjusting the windage on the irons as well, to find the center of the composite group of both barrels. To do this one needs to keep track of all shots on the target as to the barrel they came from, and order they were fired. Then you can find the center of each barrel's individual group and mark it on the target. Then adjust the sights so they are pointing to the exactly half way between those two centers.

Then clamp the barrel set in a padded vice by the lumps under the chambers with the barrels, supported so they don't move, with the irons lined up on the new aiming point half way between the centers of each barrel's group on the target.

Now mount the scope and rings on the barrel set, and adjust the reticle so that it is pointing at the same place where the irons are pointing.

Now both sets of sights are aligned on the center of the composite group, and there is absolutely no need for any type of sights to be adjausted on "ONE" barrel on a "DOUBLE RIFLE"!

All sights on a double rifle must be set to the center of the composite group of "BOTH" barrels.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Gary, how much does your .375 weigh WITHOUT the scope?

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm probably the luckiest dumb gunmsmith in the world. I bought a new Merkel 141 8x57 and installed a Leupold 1.5x5 VariX III in Mak pivot mounts. Stuck a laserlyte boresighter in the right barrel and adjusted the scope to the dot at 25 yds. Went to range and first shot was within 1" of the crosswires. Shot a couple of right/lefts and went from there.I don't seem to have the patience to make things more involved than they have to be. I always thought the intial sighting was to be able to get 'on the paper' so to speak and go from there. If the first shot and the sight (be it scope or iron) are both on the paper I'm in business.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zimbabwe:
I'm probably the luckiest dumb gunmsmith in the world. I bought a new Merkel 141 8x57 and installed a Leupold 1.5x5 VariX III in Mak pivot mounts. Stuck a laserlyte boresighter in the right barrel and adjusted the scope to the dot at 25 yds. Went to range and first shot was within 1" of the crosswires. Shot a couple of right/lefts and went from there.I don't seem to have the patience to make things more involved than they have to be. I always thought the intial sighting was to be able to get 'on the paper' so to speak and go from there. If the first shot and the sight (be it scope or iron) are both on the paper I'm in business.

.......... jumping

Lucky is the word, if the irons were already "ON" with your load, with the centers of each barrel's group on it's own side of the aiming point, at the range engraved on the rear sight! If the irons were shooting that way, then the new re-regulate system on the 141s was not needed to regulate the barrels.

As you no doubt know, the easiest way to mount a scope on a double rifle is with the barrels removed from the rifle and clamped in a padded vice. So what is complicated in simply lining the irons up on a spot, at what ever range, then when the scope is mounted simply adjust the scope to the same spot while it is in the vice? As you state the final will still have to be proven on paper at longer range to the same spot the irons hit at that range.

If anyone here thinks a laser boresighter is the way to go to get on paper, stick a pair of them, one in each barrel, and see where they print on a target compared to where the iron sights point. You will see the line of sight through the barrels cross with the iron sights pointing to a spot that is aprox 1/2 way between them, and high.

Scopes or irons are not properly adjusted to "A" bullet hole, but to the center of the composite group of both barrels, which is half way between the centers of each barrel's individual group. If this is not the case then the sights are off, or the rifle is not shooting to regulation.

Gentlemen, this is not complicated, but it is necessary to sight your double rifle in properly. It only has to be done once, after the initial work up simply load your ammo the same every time and go hunting. Besides this activity is simply part of the fun of owning a double rifle, and understanding that it is a zebra of a different stripe, from the bolt action specials you have had before, and lives by it's own rules! clap

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave....sorry...just got back in town. It weighs just a hair over 9#...like 9# 3 ozs as I measured on an electronic UPS scale.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My Merkel 141 was factory regulated with I have no idea what and was not changeable unless resoldered. Actually never shot the irons as it was an 8x57r and I had no intention of shooting it with irons. It shot both barrels in a composite group of about 1" ( I have quite a few groups after I found a good load/bullet combination and have actually published one on here I believe) and I also regulated the sights on my 9.3x74r Chapuis UGEX the same way and it was also successful although not nearly as accurate as the Merkel (which is the most accurate double I have ever shot). As I say I just must be lucky but for some reason I don't seem to have the problems others have. I have actually used Brno's right off the shelf and have actually NEVER had a problem with a Model 70 early or late manufacture.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had Swarovski 1.25-4x24 and nightvision Dedal on my DR in .375 HH, both stood on Recknagel mounts.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
bore sighting a scope on a double
put the scope one, use the LEFT barrel to bore sight it, close it up, go shoot!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote