THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    LOADING SHELLS INTO THE CHAMBERS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOADING SHELLS INTO THE CHAMBERS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It seems to me that loading shells into the chambers is a whole lot easier when the rifle is a Kreighoff or a SEARCY.

This compared to a rifle with a rib extention or dolls head. I mean it seems like a really big difference. Comments?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "hidden third fatener" also refered to as the Purdey third fastener and sometimes Holland third featener, I think, entails a small protrusion between the barrels goes unnoticed and is no issue.

I've been tripped up by a rib extension but I'm sure a little familiarity and practice would render the issue moot.

I have heard that reloading a Blaser is cumbersome but I have no experience shooting these rifles.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I have all three types, with, and without a rib extention,, and greener corss bolt, hidden extention, and no third fastener at all. The only one that has ever given me a problem in re-loading the chambers is the Kersten crossbolt on an O/U. This one has two extentions, one on either side of the top chamber.

The method one uses to re-charge the chambers of a double rifle is as varied as the body shape/weight of the owners. What works for one doesn't for another, and any of the methods can be learned by anyone with just a little practice. IMO, it is a non issue, buy what ever type you like, and learn to load it quickly! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Don't you just drop them in the chambers?

On a SxS, I can't see how a rib extension or 3rd bite would impede the reloading process.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had all three systems over the years and never even thought about it as I never saw any difference in reload speed.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just thinking in this type of situation, the cleaner the reload the better.

www.ebaumsworld.com/lionhunt.html - ya know?

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's psychological.

But when I was doing the reload and not looking, it was clearly different for me.

Much practice on a given rifle may negate the issue.

Jack

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
Don't you just drop them in the chambers?

On a SxS, I can't see how a rib extension or 3rd bite would impede the reloading process.

new_guy You are absolutely correct, you do just drop them in! As long as you are looking where you are dropping the cartridges,that is, and if they are standard very long NE flanged cartridges. If, however, you are keeping your eyes on an animal you have just shot, and didn't kill! Wink

If you're one of those who has to take his eyes off the target to re-load your double, then it makes no difference what is in the way, or what short cartridge, with a rimless, or belted rimless case, useing ejectors. People who use ejectors hibitually lower the rifle for reloading, requireing the shooter to take his eyes off the target. The Extractor shooter opens the rifle at top of the recoil arch, that makes a difference regardless of the locking system.

First the rimless belted cartridge! Most, have to be physically pushed into each chamber and snapped over the ejector pall. This requires single barrel loading in many rifles.

Now the loading a double that uses a flanged cartridge, that is historically long, and very tappered, in a rifle fitted with extractors.

The above is one more reason that justifies the use of TAYLOR'S favorite, EXTRACTORS, and FLANGED CARTRIDGES!

When an Extractor double is used with traditional NE cartridges, the drill for a re-load of both barrels similtaniously, is as follows:

One has fired both barrels, when the rifle is at the top of the recoil arch,of the second shot, the rifle is broken open, letting the empties FALL out of the chambers. With the traditional two rounds in the forehand fingers, while the barrel set is at this position, the target is still in sight, as well as the chambers. All that is needed is the bullets, and neck to be placed in the chambers, and as the rifle comes down,the cartridges simply slide into the chambers, as the rifle is closed, with eyes still on the target. This is why a double rifle is best loaded with the left hand, by a right handed shooter, and is one reason I do not use butt stock ammo carriers. My right hand never lieving the wrist/trigger area, nor eyes off the target, while in a fight.

As I said in my first post, what works for you, is what you should use, but any of the methods can be learned with a little practice.

Good shooting what ever method you choose to use!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have only had to reload once in a hurry. I put 2 rds in an Ele broadside and it wheeled and went about 20yds and I put 2 more in trying to break a hip as the book says. The gun was a 470NE Merkel and I use a 2rnd Keith type carrier I made that opens upside down. I opened it before I shot. Pulled both rounds out at one pull and put in gun without looking at it. To me it seems instinctive. Incidentally the 2 shots at the hip joint went one on each side without touching bone. The Ele went about 75 yds and was down. Found one 500gr Woodleigh solid under skin on off side.Heart drilled thru other shot further back and hit a rib we didn't find it.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you ZIM that was very detailed! thumb

Jack