THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    LOADING THE 450NE (Woodleigh RESULTS ADDED)!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOADING THE 450NE (Woodleigh RESULTS ADDED)!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
I have all the components in place. Using the cordite to smokeless conversion of 1.19X70 (cordite charge), I come up with 83.3gr I did find this:
LoadID 5307
Bullet Hornady DGX
Bullet Weight 480 grs
Powder RL 15
Powder Weight 81 grs
Primer CCI 250
Brass Make Hornady
MV: 2120

I'm planning to use RL-15 and F215M primers. Some of you suggested I use a filler as well using 1gr of dacron? I'm also going to start off with Hornady DGX 480gr as that is what the rifle is regulated to.

The Hornady factory loads sound like they have no filler. Is dacron a specific filler or can I use any type of poly based pillow stuffing?

Any help sure would be appreciated gents. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Jorge

For the straight case .450-3 1/4" use 1/2" foam backer rod.

Purchase this at Lowe's or Home Depot and cut to length.

BTW, generally, 85 - 87 gr. RL 15 has worked best for me with mine with 480 gr. Woodleigh's.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not avoid the fillers and use IMR 4831 as Searcy recommends.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Why not avoid the fillers and use IMR 4831 as Searcy recommends.

+ 1

Agree totally (as long as that gun shoots the load accurately).

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Why does 4831 not require a filler? Do you guys think that is the powder Hornady uses?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know why it doesnt require a filler but it is slower than RL 15 so it should take up more space in the case.
Reguardless, if Searcy says it is the powder to use in the rifles he makes it is good enough for me.
No information as to what Hornady is using.

IMR 4831 is cheap, easy to find, accurate, doesnt require a filler and recommended for 480-500 grain bullets. dancing

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It fills up more of the case so filler isn't needed. I suspect that Hornady does use a very similar grade of 4831. I gave you some loads for it already.Try it you'll like it.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
It fills up more of the case so filler isn't needed.

+ 1

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge The Horney factory loads are 95.5-96.0 H4831 for mv of 2120. I have used 4 or 5 different powders and found H4831 the most accurate with several make bullets in my Heym 450 3 1/4.

Posts: 107 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 15 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks! that is what I wanted to hear, the factory equivalent load for the factory stuff. Yours is spot on to what I clocked them, right at 2120. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge
Just to be clear, per Hornady they use 96.0 grs. of H4831 in their factory ammo with the 480 DGX bullet.
Mike

Posts: 107 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 15 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mike: I loaded some with 96 and 95gr as suggested. A filler is not needed just as you said. From the sound of it, they sound fuller than what the factory loadings seem, but I'll let the chrono decide Smiler I also have some loaded with 81gr of RL-15 and those do have the dacron filler. I'll report back when I can test.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
A dumb question but is "Dacron" a trade name for polyester type filler, in other words can one use something that is not called dacron but looks and feels the same? Also I use a playing card type wad cut to size on my 45-110 Sharps that serves the same purpose, can a wad be used in lieu of the filler? jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Yep, pillow stuffing will work just fine. (I prefer teddy bear stuffing personally,at least till the wife finds out) I use a pencil eraser end to push it in til it's about where the base of the bullet should be. But that's on some other cartridges. I use the IMR on the 450.

I don't use card wads.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike for all of your help. I'm going to try and go to the range tomorrow and see how these loads play out. I'm anxious to see the RL-15 reloads as well because I used the cordite to smokeless formula.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

There is a cordite to smokeless formula for IMR4831 as well. You would multiply by 1.33. NOTE: That is for IMR4831. The Hodgdon H4831 is somewhat slower and would LIKELY take a bit more to give the same velocity.

I've found that I start about five grains below what the formula gives, and stop when my composite group is about one to one and a half inches at fifty yards, then go to 100 yards. (I am talking about my H&H 500/450 that has rounds from each barrel touching at 50 yards and the composite group from both barrels about 1 inch at that distance.)

If you get pressure signs, especially difficulty in opening, or serious primer problems beyond minor flattening, stop and rethink and consult.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tim. The ratio I used is pretty reliable for RL-15, 1.19X70 (original cordite charge was 70gr). As for pressure signs, I'll start with a chrono and see where that takes me.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
An update, used the 96gr load and they shot pretty close to factory specs albeit about 50 fps slower on average. The RL-15 loads while very accurate per barrel, the composite was around 4" and with crossover which makes no sense as they clocked around 2050 (EDITED). They do show promise and next time I'm going with the full load of 83.3 (70grcordite) instead of the 81gr I used today.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
This will be interesting. Crossing shows that it's too fast. Going to 83 should make it even worse.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I completely agree Mike, I just thought it was weird the crossover was more pronounced with the slower RL-15 when compared to the H-4831 loads. I still haven't ruled out the "shooter" and his technique though Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mike I got my figures crossed. The 95gr of H-4831 gave me the 1900-2010 loads. The 81gr of RL-15 gave me 2050. I used F215 primers so I'm repeating the load with CCI-250s as well as one with 82gr and CCIs.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Went to the range today and it seems the H-4831 96gr is the easiest approach to take. I can match (or pretty close) factory ammo regulation and velocities (2105 +/- 15 fps)and come close to the same accuracy. I’ve been using F215 primers but I’m going to try and use CCI-250s as that is what the recipe called for. The RL-15 load of 81 gr seems to approximate velocities ~2080 fps, with tight, single barrel groups, but huge crossover and big composite groups (5”). As suspected, upping the load to 82grRL-15 gave me more speed (2150)and a lot more X over. I’ll continue to play with it and different bullets, RL-15 shows promise but again the H-4831 load seems to come closest to the factory offerings. SO it begs the question, if I want more speed to match factory specs of 2150, and maybe find a better bullet than the DGX I have to spend big bucks with JJ to re-regulate. As an aside, I didn't know I was so impervious to recoil Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I would not get to hung up on bullet speed. No animal will know the difference between 2,000 and 2,100 fps.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
How do you figure that the RL-15 shows promise when it's crossing so much more than the H powder? Have you tried IMR powder yet?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Promise in that is shed good accuracy IF the rifle was regulated to it, ie., good individual groups from each barrel. I have not tried IMR because I'm an idiot and have "H" in my brain from all the years of shooting Weatherbys Smiler but that is my next testing.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, that H4831 load is a good one....and I believe the H4831 is an Extreme powder....i.e. little if any temperature sensitivity. Of course being a Florida boy myself, it gets HOT here too!

Looks like you're having fun with her!

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Hi Garby, yep. loads of fun, one can tell when I can go shoot 15-20 rounds of the bench with no recoil-shy issues Smiler
Like I said above, I'm going to buy some IMR tomorrow as that seems to be "the" poder from what the guys tell me here. We still need to get together for a shoot!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes we do!! If I can get some more work in for the boys I'll take a day or 2 off and we'll do that. You'll find the IMR powder will need a few grains less to get to the right speed...at least my Searcy did. It has 26" barrels and I get the 2125-2150 with those loadings....which is the right speed for what Butch regulates with....96 gr of IMR 4831.
I generally shoot around 20 rounds before giving up for the day....a few less with the 500 Jeff Bolt gun.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Got some loaded up with 96 and 95gr with both F215 and CCI-250s.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Well I think I'm almost there with the 450. the IMR 4831 worked very well and even better with CCI-250s vice F215s. Go figure. Also the 96gr load gave me a 2" group but with crossover but spot on velocities ~ 2150. 95gr of IMR gave me a better group with just a slight drop in velocity, down to 2130 but still X over. I think I'll hit paydirt with 94grs and still stay at or above 2100 and that will be perfect. As I said before the factory loads work as my target shows but I'm committed to loading my own!

One issue I've run into is that of trimming. The Hornady trimmer I have is too short for these cases and I am unable to "set" the trimmer as the case and shell holder are well into the body of the trimmer so every time I trim I have to loosen the set knob and start over. To maintain uniformity I'm having to use an old spark plug gap guage on the crank side and so I have to adjust every time. Anybody know of a bigger trimmer I can buy?

jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Try a Forster Classic trimmer. They work great for all the big bores cartridges.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Forster Classic.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
Have you tried 97grns of H-4831?
I ask this as Hogdon is a readily available powder in Australia (possibly made here) and known to be well suited for hot conditions.
Also I'm interested in this calibre and like the 2100+fps velocity range in .40+ calibre.
Regards,
Ad

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I sure have Oz, quite a bit. I'm getting cross over with 96gr so 97 would make it worse. It shoots factory Hornady loadings fine, but I'm trying to load mu own stuff. I had good results with IMR 4831 95gr but I think if I bump it down one more grain I'll get the regulation I want. Also one of the fellows here has had great results with 95gr of RL-19 and I'm also going to try that. Below is a sample target with factory. the tight group at the top is at 25 yards and the rest at 50:

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Both of my 450's work great @96 grains of IMR 4831.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Probably a dumb question, but does one use "standard" reloading equipment? Or must one use some "magnum" size equipment for that 3-1/4" case?

The reason I ask is... I don't reload at all, but I want to start reloading for my .450NE.

Hope I'm not interupting, just wanted to know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Nemo: For a huge cratridge like the 450 you need to find a press that is tall enough to handle it. I use a Lee press which has the largest opening of all. Also trimming is an issue with standard trimmers, for example my Hornady trimmer is way too short and as some suggested here, the Forster brand seems the way to go. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I'm still useing my 30 year old RockChucker and a Lyman T Mag.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Just returned from the range and obtained good results with 94.5gr IMR 4831 and CCI-250s @ 2110 fps. It even surprised me with a "fluke 1/2" group. With 94.5 RL-19 and F215s it shot very well although slow @ 1990 & 2020 fps and I'm going to bump up the charge and see what happens. This rifle appears to be a 2" shooter on average with just about all the loads I've tried, but it is REAL finnicky with crossovers. A half grain and she'll cross big time.

Also I've noticed the velocity with factory ammo can vary as much as 75 fps. If they reach 2150 you get a nice 1" group with crossover but the slow ones (around 2100-2075) open up to 2" with no X over with vertical separation. I think I need to quit the anal-retentiveness and quit whilst I'm ahead Smiler

PS: For storage do I need to get snap caps and pull the triggers or can they be stored cocked?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
When you think that you've got ot all dialed in... get a couple of boxes of Hornady 350 RN's and load them with the same powder charge.. Big Grin

Those porkers down your way will haye you.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote: