THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    "This Old Gun" Whats it worth?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"This Old Gun" Whats it worth?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted
What would be a value range for this rifle given the available information and pictures? Its a Henry W. Egg in (we think) 450/400 BPE. The owner was not available at the moment and I was in a rush to get back to work. A friend of mine is interested in it and I hope he buys this thing cause it fit me perfectly! The gun was tight with no detectable movement in the unlock postion with the forearm removed. The bores were very bright and shiny with no pitting detected with the naked eye. The only case coloring that remained was on the inside of the underlever and the portion of the trigger guard that it covered. The overall finish seemed good for a gun this old. We could not find a serial number anywhere. It does not come with a case or any accessories. What do yall think? Question/comments?

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
What's the black streak on the stock? Magic marker?

I'd go up to 4K if it checks out that good.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the black streak on the stock? Magic marker?

That was my first impression. It appears to be in the wood and doesnt look like a repair. I have no idea??

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the black line looks like someone was going to reshape and shorten it, as the line is vertical too.

if it is bpe, 2500 would be my top dollar, if nitro, 4500 .. but i would have to see the proof marks

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that for a deer gun the 450/400 BPE would be just about perfect.

One thing one must be careful about is that the gun has not been re-chambered in an attempt to make more easily available cases usable. This was done quite a bit years back before bell and others made brass for obsolete guns.

Also Wipe the barrels carefully. A good coat of grease can cover up a lot of pitting.

Just looking at the gun I do not think that it a Nitro Gun. I would be very surprised if it was. On the other hand the 450400 BPE is a wonderful Cart.

Personally I think this gun would be steal at $2500, a real bargain at 3k a bargain @ $3500 and $4000 is not unreasonable. If it is as mechanically sound as it looks you can shoot and hunt with it for the rest of you life.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the black lines are just magic marker and the wood checks out, bores are nice (have it checked out by a pro), 4K would be a five finger discount, and possibly twice that could be market, depending. Nice hammer BPE aren't cheap anymore.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would definitely agree with 400 Nitro Express ....... I haven't seen any $4000. ones lately.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Googled this up for comparison sake...

http://www.soldusa.com/detail.asp?id=1672

My friend caught up with the owner and got his phone #. He is about 80 miles south of me so when I slow down at work I will take a trip and gather more info and pictures. I also recommended sending it to JJ or whom ever you experts recommend for a pre buy/chamber casting etc. I would love to own this rifle if it checked out but I am planning a trip to RSA to hunt with Katte Nov 08 so I am not in the market. Thank you all for your interest and comments!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The value of these black powder hammer guns has increased greatly as of late, I don't know if it will hold, but with a recession coming and the economy like it is I wouldn't want to get too much into a double right now..I would wait a little and see what happens, they could get really cheap again..I am ready if they do, thats when I will go to buying them.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Numbe...4237394f1#Post101733

I finally got some pictures of the proof marks on the Egg. Posted them on Nitro Express first, AR has been slow to load on my computer lately.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful gun! You will have fun with it!!!!!

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote