THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    How much force needed to manually cock
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much force needed to manually cock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all.

Looking to purchase my first double shortly and trying to narrow down my choices. l have a short list of 3 rifles.
Wondering how much force is need to manually push the cocking lever forward on K-gun big 5 and the Blaser S2. Just Concerned when l get older that l may not be able to have the strength to push forward to cock?? lf l get any arthritis or crook hands, may not be able to use either the Blaser or Krieghoff. Not that l might go chasing anything dangerous if l am in that condition.
Unfortunately where l live here, l will not be able to try either of these rifles before deciding.

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieg and it is not hard to cock but with arthritis it might be depending on how much you can push. If that is a factor you might want a regular safety equipped rifle. The blasers require cocking each time you open it so that compounds the issue for you.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
My rifle requires between 21 and 22 pounds of force to push the kick spanner forward, as measured with a digital scale. While requiring some effort, it is not that difficult to operate.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I had some reservations when I bought mine,one trip to Africa,& it's one of my favorite guns & caliber now,the kickspanner was absolutely easy to get used to!!

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the info and your experiences with this style of safety. Maybe l am just over thinking things. When spending this sort of $$, l just want to try and make the most informed decision l can. As l get older, thing will get harder to do and dont want to make a mistake choosing now that will affect me latter in life.
My list of rifles l am trying to narrow down is the K-gun big 5, Blaser S2 safari, and Merkel 140AE all in 500NE

Cheers
Jack

Posts: 80 | Location: Queensland. Oz | Registered: 08 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack H:
Thanks very much for the info and your experiences with this style of safety. Maybe l am just over thinking things. When spending this sort of $$, l just want to try and make the most informed decision l can. As l get older, thing will get harder to do and dont want to make a mistake choosing now that will affect me latter in life.
My list of rifles l am trying to narrow down is the K-gun big 5, Blaser S2 safari, and Merkel 140AE all in 500NE

I recommend you find one and handle it for yourself.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack H:
Hi all.

Looking to purchase my first double shortly and trying to narrow down my choices. l have a short list of 3 rifles.
Wondering how much force is need to manually push the cocking lever forward on K-gun big 5 and the Blaser S2. Just Concerned when l get older that l may not be able to have the strength to push forward to cock?? lf l get any arthritis or crook hands, may not be able to use either the Blaser or Krieghoff. Not that l might go chasing anything dangerous if l am in that condition.
Unfortunately where l live here, l will not be able to try either of these rifles before deciding.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have a Krieg and it is not hard to cock but with arthritis it might be depending on how much you can push. If that is a factor you might want a regular safety equipped rifle. The blasers require cocking each time you open it so that compounds the issue for you.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
My rifle requires between 21 and 22 pounds of force to push the kick spanner forward, as measured with a digital scale. While requiring some effort, it is not that difficult to operate.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
I had some reservations when I bought mine,one trip to Africa,& it's one of my favorite guns & caliber now,the kickspanner was absolutely easy to get used to!!

IMO with normal hands the cocking lever will not be a problem, but with arthritic hands it could be a life threatening problem. In regard to the Blaser S-2 , don’t make the mistake that the Blaser, and the K-gun are the same system, they are definitely not the same. The K-gun once cocked it will re-cock it’s self when opened after firing, or remain cocked if opened without firing it. This is not the case with the Blaser S-2, if opened for any reason the rifle de-cocks it’s self, and must be manually re-cocked before it can be fired. The K-gun is a good system, and the Blaser S-2 is not, PERIOD!

...................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could see how someone would worry about this with the K-gun. If you are simply holding and admiring the gun, the kickspanner can seem a bit heavy to push forward. However, if you hold the gun like in a hunting situation low and at the ready, the kickspanner moves forward rather easily as you raise the gun and prepare for a shot.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoeDemocko:
I could see how someone would worry about this with the K-gun. If you are simply holding and admiring the gun, the kickspanner can seem a bit heavy to push forward. However, if you hold the gun like in a hunting situation low and at the ready, the kickspanner moves forward rather easily as you raise the gun and prepare for a shot.

Well said,the kickspanner became second nature in the field for me,directionally it is the same as the traditional safeties & much safer to carry with rounds in the chamber,I wish Krieghoff made a 450 class gun,I would have one in my safe for sure,love my 500/416.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for passing on your experiences with these rifles. lt is bloody hard trying to decide what rifle will be best for yourself. Hoping to be able to make a choice on which rifle to get soon

Cheers
Jack

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Please list the rifle makers that you CAN get rifles from.
Can you get Verney-Carron there for example?
http://www.verney-carron.fr/index.html#
Or the wonderful American made:
http://bradshawgunandrifle.com..._Double_Rifle_1B.php

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi D R Hunter.
We can get most rifles here. The cost does vary though. lm looking at a Merkel, Krieghoff, waiting on a price from V-C. And have been talking to Bailey Bradshaw too, thinking about one of his doubles. Got a price on a Chapuis and it was almost double the cost of a Merkel here. Heym was out of my price range to. But most of them do not have a left handed in stock, only the Merkel. l can import a Bradshaw for about the same cost as some of the ones listed.

Cheers
Jack

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Jack H.,

No doubt then, if I were you I would select BRADSHAW. The double rifle that will
NEVER come Off-Face, WILL reliably eject spent rounds, CAN be built with fixed or
removable barrel sets, CAN be built lefty or righty, and so on. Call BRADSHAW and
I expect you'll be happy that you did.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote