THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Sight options for double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sight options for double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Litespeed
posted
I have had the pleasure of owing double rifles for some years now. They are a lot of fun to shoot, and as a fan of using big bores, they should be a nice "alround" rifle Big Grin

At present I have a Krieghoff in 500NE. Not a typical allround caliber, but for me 2150 fps is plenty for 150-200 yards shooting, if needed. What I really see as the limitation is the sights. I love the look of iron sight, and a scope is NOT an option! The old fashion V-sight is nice at short distance, but at longer range.... at least I am not able to get the accuracy I know the rifle produces.

I have been competing in target shooting for some years, and there we use diopter sight. Shooting at ranges like 110-500 yards, I know how effective those sight can be. The "hunting version" of this is the "ghost ring". Had an old Lyman diopter laying around, and "made it" into a kind of ghost ring sight. Placing it all the way back on the barrels (the Krieghoff is prepared for scope mounts there) it might be something that could really work! I will try and make it strong enough to test it for real, but the way the sight picture lines up with the front sight in center is really nice to try! I actually feels faster that the V-sight, and you also seems to get a wider field of view!

So... anyone else made some experience with different sights on their doubles? The Krieghoff is not a real "classic" double, and for me it is not a wall hanger but a hunting rifle. But I love to have just iron sights, and to keep that clean look.

Posts: 26 | Location: Norway | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have seen on rare occation a double rifle with a vernier type sight. Unlike the old american sights these would fold down into the tang that was recessed for them so they would'nt protrude above the tang when folded down and cut the hand under recoil.
There was a H&H 45-70 like this about a year ago that got some mention on this forum. I'm sure some here saw it. I have seen a few others like this even one old ventage German made muzzel loader.
I really like the Idea but it would be real hard to incorperate somthing like this aftermarket because I think that the recess would be a major feature.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I was beating around the bush for some time having exactly the same goal in my mind – got my cup of tea at the end. I have always liked the old “Ferlacher” fine irons on their rifles – tiny silver beads of 1.5mm in diameter up front and a shallow V or tiny rounded notch in the rear. Old folks here were shooting roebucks with those out to 150m with regularity. The only limitation with those is they are so tiny that you will have hard times picking them up in a hurry or in dusk. My final solution was a 2mm fiber bead up front (I would pick even smaller if I could find one) and a modified pyramid rear – both from Recknagel – I have added a tiny notch in the V that helped me a lot once I got a grip on the rifles behaviour over at longer distances.

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone figured out a good system for a peep on a double?

Posts: 10132 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Anyone figured out a good system for a peep on a double?

Fraser double rifles had a good pop up peep system.

Also seen peeps attached to the end of the rib. It seemed to work well - and look good.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a company that makes steel peep replacements for sks and ak type rifles.
It adj for wind age only.It is a perfect fit on my Merkel. I drilled and taped two holes in the rib. I am making spacers for vertical adj. I had them make me one a littler shorter than the military replacement.
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the ghost ring sights using the top lever screw? I think JJ has done some of these installs.

Posts: 150 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 30 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, JJ makes what he calls "Purdey style" top lever folding peeps. They are not ghost rings and have no possibility for windage/elevation. Here's a pix of the one he put on my H&H .303 double. Not sure such a peep would be good for a DG rifle, open vee likely better for shorter range shooting.

Regards

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Litespeed
posted Hide Post
Have made some small investments and experiences on my sight project.... I bought a new front bead in red fiber. Sure made it quicker to align the sights, and I think will be more accurate compared to the old front bead. The "roundish" end on the old one, could make the shooting tricky when light is coming low and from one side.

I also bought a diopter sight from Recknagel. It mount directly on the back of the barrels, where you normally mount the rear ring on a scope mount ( this is on a Krieghoff I might add).

Hoperfully will get to test it all on the range some day next week Big Grin

Posts: 26 | Location: Norway | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drilled and tapped the rib of my Chapuis 45-70 double for a XS aperture. Filed flats 90 degrees from the original. Drilled and tapped a set screw in the breach face of the barrels to secure the sight.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote