THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Another Boar with the 470 double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Boar with the 470 double rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted
I went hunting boar with my Kreighoff 470. I got a look at the boar at about 40 yards standing still. First shot a clean miss. The boar started zig zagging down hill toward me as I reloaded. I guess he saw me at about 25 yards and took off at a dead run. This is where shooting the Vintagers stopping gun tournament came in handy.
The first shot on the run hit low on the on side and broke the offside front shoulder. Now running on 3 legs I drilled him through the heart and toppled him down hill. It happens fast but man is it fun.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome, good stuff.

The practice definately helps with running shots, but I must admit
that I have missed standing side on shots and then hit them on the run.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
470s and wild boar are a fun combination HuH?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great! There's no better practice for using doubles in Africa than hunting hogs. Lots of fun as well!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice boar, Foxfire. Mind if I ask where you were hunting? NY state somewhere?

Posts: 82 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 06 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ontario Nimrod:
Nice boar, Foxfire. Mind if I ask where you were hunting? NY state somewhere?

PM sent

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kick Ass!

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Very cool, congrats!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
My son shot a nice Whitetail on the same trip. All the meat is back from the butcher and packed into the freezer. Should be enough to carry us through for a while.

Thanks for the kind words, shooting pigs with a
big bore is lots of fun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOOD SHOOTING. Where were you hunting?
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Very nice! beer

We had looked at the monster boar hunts in the Upper Peninsula of MI, not knowing there were some places on PA, but looking into it there for the family hunt a few years from now.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote