THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifles and Lead Sleds?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifles and Lead Sleds?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone foresee a problem shooting a 9.3 x 74R double from a lead sled to check for initial regulation? My thought is this allows one a very precise aiming platform and eliminate the human error factor to a great degree. If so why, and what would be your procedure for a shooting rest, technique for this initial test? Thanks for the insight and help.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
NEVER NEVER NEVER shoot a DR from a lead sled. Those are evil contraptions which should be banned. You will alter the recoil flip and jump upon which the regulation depends, and you risk damaging the butt stock inletting, especially on DG calibers. And you risk jarring off the left trigger, potentially causing a double. My opinion of course; I have never used one and do not intend to ever own one. Rifles were intended to be shot from the shoulder.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
NEVER NEVER NEVER shoot a DR from a lead sled. Those are evil contraptions which should be banned. You will alter the recoil flip and jump upon which the regulation depends, and you risk damaging the butt stock inletting, especially on DG calibers. And you risk jarring off the left trigger, potentially causing a double. My opinion of course; I have never used one and do not intend to ever own one. Rifles were intended to be shot from the shoulder.

Pretty much right on. Not to mention there have been a few stocks broken at the wrist due to weighted up lead Sleds. Double rifles and lead sleds just don't work together. If you want a recoil reducer for your double you need one of the hydraulic ones like Butch uses for regulation work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't trust the Lead sled, I have seen them break stocks and I have had three or four stocks damaged, but were repaired because I caught them in time...

Sometime breakage is the result of too much lead in a lead sled..If I were to own one today I would not put any extra weight on it, none!

But, I will never own another one!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry I would try a standing rest as this will give you the stability to check regulation and reduce recoil. I have seen a tripod used to support/rest for the right elbow to give a more stable rest.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Does anyone foresee a problem shooting a 9.3 x 74R double from a lead sled to check for initial regulation? My thought is this allows one a very precise aiming platform and eliminate the human error factor to a great degree. If so why, and what would be your procedure for a shooting rest, technique for this initial test? Thanks for the insight and help.

Larry Sellers

No problem with that for sure.As long as you dont weigh it down so that it does not move at all.Anything to reduce unnecessary recoil is good.I was thinking of the same thing for my 500NE.I think I will just limit the shots to as few as possible.Dont worry about it not being accurate if you use one-that is bullshit from people who have not been there.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I'd stay away from the led sled and double rifle combo as well. As others have stated here, a double rifle differs from single barreled rifles in that each barrel is offset from the centerline axis and therefore is aligned to "throw" the bullet at a specific time in the recoil arc. Now on the 9.3x74R, the recoil arc isn't as great as the larger calibers, but it very well could affect your impact points. I think it is much better to arrange a couple of shooting sticks instead.

What I do when working out regulation and loads, in order to get a very fine aim point with stability, is to use one set of sticks in the conventional manner and another set under my trigger hand elbow. This stabilized my aim but still allows the rifle to recoil properly. Give that a try first.

I'm not sure there would be enough recoil in the 9.3 to risk damage to the stock but it certainly can happen on the larger calibers. Good luck to you.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

Pretty much right on. Not to mention there have been a few stocks broken at the wrist due to weighted up lead Sleds. Double rifles and lead sleds just don't work together. If you want a recoil reducer for your double you need one of the hydraulic ones like Butch uses for regulation work.

I second and third the above two posts!

.................................................................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
No problem with that for sure.As long as you dont weigh it down so that it does not move at all.Anything to reduce unnecessary recoil is good.I was thinking of the same thing for my 500NE.I think I will just limit the shots to as few as possible.Dont worry about it not being accurate if you use one-that is bullshit from people who have not been there.

Shootaway. I'm sure the above advice is based on years of experience with the many double rifles you have owned!

Shootaway you simply do not know crap about double rifles!

................................................................... lol

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get one of the Caldwell tripod dead shot rests or the taller version for standing. Forget what the big one is called. Great for testing a double, it won't reduce recoil but it helps you hold steady. MTM makes a lead sled rest that I have used that is much safer the the lead shed from Caldwell. It has a strap to hold the butt instead of a steel plate. Its much cheaper too at about $40. If you are shooting from a bench the MTM is the way to go.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Shootaway. I'm sure the above advice is based on years of experience with the many double rifles you have owned!

................................................................... lol

I dont smoke crack when I shoot my rifles.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont smoke crack when I shoot my rifles.

..........I would say most REAL double rifle people don't smoke crack at all, and we can see the effects above of smoking crack any time!

...................................................................... space

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post

I shoot my .500 NE off of one of these all the time with 50 lbs of lead for load work-up. It shoots exactly to the same POI whether on the rest or off sticks.

I know other that do the same and have never heard of a problem. Granted...these are plastic and not steel like lead-sled.

sofa

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37892 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

I shoot my .500 NE off of one of these all the time with 50 lbs of lead for load work-up. It shoots exactly to the same POI whether on the rest or off sticks.

I know other that do the same and have never heard of a problem. Granted...these are plastic and not steel like lead-sled.

sofa

That just cant be because Todd says each barrel is offset at the centerline axis. homer

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I know that it is dangerous to inject facts into a discussion but here goes. Graeme Wright, who wrote Shooting the British Double Rifle and is frequently cited for his knowledge of information about shooting and reloading for double rifles, wrote:

"This invention [Caldwell Lead Sled] has been a great asset for those of us testing heavy recoiling rifles . . . When using the sled I still grip the rifle at the forend with my left hand and then let only my hand contact the forend holder . . . When I first starting using the rest I assumed that it would affect the regulation of a double rifle. To my pleasant surprise this had not turned out to be the case. My idea was that I would use the rest to develop loads that seemed suitable then check the regulation with the rest. In the majority of cases the rifles regulated the same with and without the rest. I always do a final check of the regulation with the rest but normally find it does not require any further change. Just a final word of caution; there have been reports of stock damage when using these rests although I have not had this experience. I believe the problem is putting too much weight onto the rest. If the rest is so heavy it can not move then it is like firing your rifle against a solid object. Use just enough weight to be comfortable and allow the rest to move."

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I know that it is dangerous to inject facts into a discussion but here goes. Graeme Wright, who wrote Shooting the British Double Rifle and is frequently cited for his knowledge of information about shooting and reloading for double rifles, wrote:

"This invention [Caldwell Lead Sled] has been a great asset for those of us testing heavy recoiling rifles . . . When using the sled I still grip the rifle at the forend with my left hand and then let only my hand contact the forend holder . . . When I first starting using the rest I assumed that it would affect the regulation of a double rifle. To my pleasant surprise this had not turned out to be the case. My idea was that I would use the rest to develop loads that seemed suitable then check the regulation with the rest. In the majority of cases the rifles regulated the same with and without the rest. I always do a final check of the regulation with the rest but normally find it does not require any further change. Just a final word of caution; there have been reports of stock damage when using these rests although I have not had this experience. I believe the problem is putting too much weight onto the rest. If the rest is so heavy it can not move then it is like firing your rifle against a solid object. Use just enough weight to be comfortable and allow the rest to move."

Mike, I've not always agreed with Graeme's comments in the past and on this one, I must disagree as well based on my personal experience. When I first purchased my Merkel, I shot it a few times in my lead sled, heavily weighted down of course. I found the bullets struck consistently about 4 to 5 inches low every time as compared to shooting it off of sticks. Additionally, although I never had an issue with the stock, it did double a couple of times as well. This doubling is what made me back off from shooting it in the sled from that point forward.

I will agree however, that an empty sled, ie not weighted down to the max where it can't move, probably does make a significant difference as I had two 25 lb bags of lead shot on mine with the above mentioned range sessions. I never tried it with just the empty sled to see how that affected regulation.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
To your point Todd, Graeme notes that he does not recommend using more than one twenty pound bag of lead even for calibers like the .500 NE. For rifles like the .375, he notes that he just uses the rest, without any lead.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Yep, I can see that making a difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whenever you limit the amount of "give" to a recoiling rifle, you are putting pressure on the stock, whether an over-weighted Lead Sled or putting the butt up against a tree. That said, a Lead Sled with an adequate amount of weight is a help in getting an accurate sighting platform. I use them on a regular basis, both for bolts and DRs. I use no added weight up to 375, and then one 25 lb bag of shot above that. The stand still moves back 2-4" from the recoil.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never used a lead sled or any other artifical holding device for shooting my doubles, or any other rifle for that matter. I claim no personal experience to weigh in on this...

But, about three years ago I talked at some length on several occasions to the gentleman who does the regulation for one of the most prominate and expensive double rifle makes in the UK. He said he uses a lead sled for all his regulation work - lightly loaded and with provision for horizontal movement. This was not the focus of our conversations but we did get on that subject more than once.

I'm not interested enough to buy one to try myself, but sounds to me that it works for a true professional who's in the business.

Good hunting,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sometimes spell better than in the above post ;-)

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use some common sense on this one. If you place the butt of a rifle against an immovable object something is going to give and it will not be the immovable object.

I have used a lead sled exactly 1 time on a bolt gun and it did absorb the recoil.

I would recommend a standing rest that is adjustable and a pad that can absorb the recoil (like a PAST shooting pad)or a small bag of sand.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
My 4-bore shoots a one inch, one hole group at any distance. Sleds not needed or used as I won't have one in the bush, field, or tundra.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
My 4-bore shoots a one inch, one hole group at any distance.

Cal, you need to be more considerate. You appreciate I hope that this riddle is going to give George a headache. He has probably already fired off an email to Butch demanding that if Cal's rifle can do this, then by God his double better do it too.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My intent was to use the sled without weight. I have no problem with the expected "recoil" of the 9.3 x 74R as I shoot a 9.3 x 62 all the time. As some know, I have a Sabatti coming from Cabelas and simply want to verify that regulation is decent with the Hornady ammo it was regulated with. The main intent for the sled was to get a precise aiming point for each shot for this "quick" test. Should be able to get some decent info with a dozen or so shots I would think? Roll Eyes

If acceptable I will then start some load development with different bullets and powders and will do a lot of shooting from sticks for sure.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions and don't hesitate to keep chiming in. Won't do this test until after DSC, but will report results and ask more questions I am sure.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

sofa

I too have one of the MTM rests above, and it is very different design than the Caldwell Lead Sled. IMO, it is a far better and safer rest than the Caldwell. I use mine in the same way Graeme Wright does with the Caldwell, by holding the forend in my left hand.

The biggest problem with the Caldwell is the solid butt stop, and the tight sides on the rear stock rest!

quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

"This invention [Caldwell Lead Sled] has been a great asset for those of us testing heavy recoiling rifles . . . When using the sled I still grip the rifle at the forend with my left hand and then let only my hand contact the forend holder.”

. . . When I first starting using the rest I assumed that it would affect the regulation of a double rifle. To my pleasant surprise this had not turned out to be the case. My idea was that I would use the rest to develop loads that seemed suitable then check the regulation with the rest. In the majority of cases the rifles regulated the same with and without the rest. I always do a final check of the regulation with the rest but normally find it does not require any further change. Just a final word of caution; there have been reports of stock damage when using these rests although I have not had this experience. I believe the problem is putting too much weight onto the rest. If the rest is so heavy it can not move then it is like firing your rifle against a solid object. Use just enough weight to be comfortable and allow the rest to move."

The problem is not regulation if the fore-end is held in the shooters hand the way Graeme describes, but the stock damage is a worry because as Graeme says people put too much weight on the sled, for a but being placed against a solid stop. Again IMO, the stock damage is also caused by the twisting of the stock caused by the upward and away from the barrel not fired during recoil. The long side braces of the Sled's rear stop do not allow this twisting to take place throwing strain one the wrist area of the stock, it's weakest point!

The main difference between the MTM, and the Caldwell is the rear rest design. The MCM allows the stock to twist, and the rearward stop is a web strap, that is not SOLID but gives with the rearward thrust of the butt stock. This combined with the holding of the fore-end in the shooter's left hand makes the regulation muzzle flip natural, and the strap allows some give in the rearward movement no matter how much weight is placed in the weight tray.

We used a simple recoil reducer to let us shoot longer in a session years ago. It was a war surplus map case with a long shoulder strap. We placed a couple of bags of chilled shot in the bag, and placed the strap between the butt stock and the shoulder and pushed bag forward for each shot.

Gentlemen, anything that hinders the natural movement of the rifle will change regulation to some extent! Graeme Wright is saying exactly what we have been saying for years, HOLD THE FORE-END in your HAND, and let the muzzle flip work UP, and AWAY form the other barrel.

............................................... coffee

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Let's assume for a moment the unlikely, that testing your double rifle from a mechanical device does result in some level of shot placement that you like. What are you going to do whilst hunting? Certainly, you will not have your sled with you. You will be shooting from a "field" position; off sticks, sitting, resting against a tree, or flat offhand. Point is, do not rely on a lead sled as a platform from which to test rifles. I sit at a bench, as straightly as possible, and hold the rifle with both hands. True story; before the advent of the sled, a friend bought a "bulls bag"; simply a huge sand bag that gripped the rifle stock to prevent any recoil. His rifle never moved when gripped in that 75 pound monstrosity. One problem; once in the field, he could actually hit nothing, having never fired his rifle in any other position. Idiot. My friend, I mean, of course.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I have never used a lead sled but made my own recoil reducer once, a 25 lb steel skate board with a square bracket to hold a slip-on recoil pad to put the butt in.

Though it was made to add weight to, we shot it without, running in a new Vastava 300 Win mag. The first few shots were a dream; it zeroed and shot groups like crazy and we couldn't feel any recoil. Then the groups started to widen and we discovered the stock had cracked. Can't be sure why.

Posts: 5111 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd - I am testing the rifle for ONE simple reason. I need to check to see if it shoots a decent regulation to determine if I continue with the purchase process or send it back. It has nothing to do with hunting, shooting technique or the like. I have hunted long enough, 55 years, to know I will not have a lead sled along with me in the field. Roll Eyes If I indeed purchase the rifle, I will take all the necessary steps to make it and myself field ready rest assured.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Let's assume for a moment the unlikely, that testing your double rifle from a mechanical device does result in some level of shot placement that you like. What are you going to do whilst hunting? Certainly, you will not have your sled with you. You will be shooting from a "field" position; off sticks, sitting, resting against a tree, or flat offhand. Point is, do not rely on a lead sled as a platform from which to test rifles. I sit at a bench, as straightly as possible, and hold the rifle with both hands. True story; before the advent of the sled, a friend bought a "bulls bag"; simply a huge sand bag that gripped the rifle stock to prevent any recoil. His rifle never moved when gripped in that 75 pound monstrosity. One problem; once in the field, he could actually hit nothing, having never fired his rifle in any other position. Idiot. My friend, I mean, of course.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,
I think you are fibbing. Isn't the 4 bore bigger than 1" in diameter? Big Grin

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Cal,
I think you are fibbing. Isn't the 4 bore bigger than 1" in diameter? Big Grin

Most 4-bore doubles are 4-bore in exterior cartridge dimensions only (chamber) and the thickness of the case negates the actual bore diameter to about .970 or 5-bore. I've seen single barrel rifles as big as 1.005" bore diameter but no cartridge rifles at the actual 1.052 which is the correct diameter of a true 4-bore. I have a ball mould from the muzzle loading days that is a true 4 at the dimension listed.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I had my 500NE I always used a Past Pad when shooting from the bench. Simple physics tells me that using a lead sled is going to put more stress on any rifle than firing it from the shoulder.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like you I use a PAST recoil shield when shooting most any rifle from a bench rest. The sled in this case is to be used primarily as a accurate sighting device. Thanks all.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
When I had my 500NE I always used a Past Pad when shooting from the bench. Simple physics tells me that using a lead sled is going to put more stress on any rifle than firing it from the shoulder.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I understand your goal; what I am saying is that any test of a DR must be done under the same conditions with which it was originally regulated. Just because you lock it down on a lead sled does not mean you will get a true picture of how it shoots from the hands and shoulder. For most double rifles, that will not give the same results. It is not hard to align sights for 50 yards to test rifles; it is not like bench rest testing at long range. Of course, this is all my opinion, it is all up to you; I said I do not own one and won't. I test double rifles from the bench, sitting straight, with both elbows supported.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd. I will test both ways, off the sled (no weight) then off sticks, with arm and hands in shooting/hunting position. Have a great day and appreciate the help.

Larry Sellers

quote:
I understand your goal; what I am saying is that any test of a DR must be done under the same conditions with which it was originally regulated. Just because you lock it down on a lead sled does not mean you will get a true picture of how it shoots from the hands and shoulder. For most double rifles, that will not give the same results. It is not hard to align sights for 50 yards to test rifles; it is not like bench rest testing at long range. Of course, this is all my opinion, it is all up to you; I said I do not own one and won't. I test double rifles from the bench, sitting straight, with both elbows supported.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cooley:
Larry I would try a standing rest as this will give you the stability to check regulation and reduce recoil. Bill

I think this is very sage advice...especially as you want the gun to be sighted in for the way you will be using it in the field (unless you plan to take a bench into the field with you for every shot at game). In my view, no other kind of rest comes close to the standing rest in duplicating where a double rifle will shoot when you are actually using it to hunt with.

And I must add, I've probably owned and fired more double rifles than most folks have ever seen, let alone used. So I am telling you the results of my own experience. I've "been there" many times.

Take Bill's advice. He knows whereof he speaks.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Like you I use a PAST recoil shield when shooting most any rifle from a bench rest. The sled in this case is to be used primarily as a accurate sighting device. Thanks all.

Larry Sellers

quote:

Larry dpcd is correct! The sleds work fine for a single barreled rifle, but a double rifle works by it’s own set of rules! The barrels must absolutely be allowed to recoil in a natural manner. If the muzzle flip during the “barrel time” is restricted in any way it will not tell you if the rifle is regulated or not! I assume that is the reason for this test to find quickly if the rifle is regulated or not!

Each barrel, when fired, will rise, and move away from the other barrel. This is why the barrels must be converging. The line of sight through each barrel will be pointed at a point on the target that is LOW, and on the opposite side of the aiming point at the range engraved on the standing rear sight (or crossing). This so when the barrel is fired the recoil will cause the barrel to rise and move away from the other barrel. If the rifle was regulated properly, when the bullet exits the muzzle that barrel will be pointing to where the sight WAS when the trigger was pulled. So, if anything hinders the natural movement of the barrels the rifle will not regulate. A double rifle is designed to be fire under field conditions, fired from “ROOM TEMPRATURE” barrels for the first two shots. This is the point where proper regulation shows it’s self!

It is that a person who has shot single barreled rifles all his life simply cannot believe that he must forget every rule he has learned about the way a rifle works, much the same way a pilot of a fixed wing aircraft must forget what he has learned about flying when he tries to learn how to fly a helicopter. Like the single barreled rifle and the S/S double rifle they are two entirely different things and must be used by their own rules or they simply will not work properly.

So if you insist on using the Lead sled at least lower the front rest enough so you can place a soft pad on it so you can hold the fore-end wood in your hand rested on the pad while shooting so the barrels can move naturally under recoil.

Here’s hoping you don’t get the stock damage some report, from the tight side walls or the solid back stop of the rear rest. This may also restrict the barrel’s angled movement of the fired barrel away from the other barrel as well. That is the reason the MTM rest is a better choice for double rifles, not to mention about it being half the price!

Good luck! Hope you get a good one! If you try it your way, and don’t get what you want try it our way and see how that works! Larry it is your rifle after all, so do as you want, and please do not take offence to my and dpcd’s suggestions, they are meant to help you, not to dictate your actions!
......................................................... patriot

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Larry,dont listen to these jerks you will get the ROYAL SHAFT!

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Larry,dont listen to these jerks you will get the ROYAL SHAFT!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac - Thanks for the info and I will try you and dpcd methods first for sure. Never actually thought of or knew about the different ways a DR would react.

Have a great Holiday Season.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Larry Sellers

quote:

Larry dpcd is correct! The sleds work fine for a single barreled rifle, but a double rifle works by it’s own set of rules! The barrels must absolutely be allowed to recoil in a natural manner. If the muzzle flip during the “barrel time” is restricted in any way it will not tell you if the rifle is regulated or not! I assume that is the reason for this test to find quickly if the rifle is regulated or not!

Each barrel, when fired, will rise, and move away from the other barrel. This is why the barrels must be converging. The line of sight through each barrel will be pointed at a point on the target that is LOW, and on the opposite side of the aiming point at the range engraved on the standing rear sight (or crossing). This so when the barrel is fired the recoil will cause the barrel to rise and move away from the other barrel. If the rifle was regulated properly, when the bullet exits the muzzle that barrel will be pointing to where the sight WAS when the trigger was pulled. So, if anything hinders the natural movement of the barrels the rifle will not regulate. A double rifle is designed to be fire under field conditions, fired from “ROOM TEMPRATURE” barrels for the first two shots. This is the point where proper regulation shows it’s self!

It is that a person who has shot single barreled rifles all his life simply cannot believe that he must forget every rule he has learned about the way a rifle works, much the same way a pilot of a fixed wing aircraft must forget what he has learned about flying when he tries to learn how to fly a helicopter. Like the single barreled rifle and the S/S double rifle they are two entirely different things and must be used by their own rules or they simply will not work properly.

So if you insist on using the Lead sled at least lower the front rest enough so you can place a soft pad on it so you can hold the fore-end wood in your hand rested on the pad while shooting so the barrels can move naturally under recoil.

Here’s hoping you don’t get the stock damage some report, from the tight side walls or the solid back stop of the rear rest. This may also restrict the barrel’s angled movement of the fired barrel away from the other barrel as well. That is the reason the MCM rest is a better choice for double rifles, not to mention about it being half the price!

Good luck! Hope you get a good one! If you try it your way, and don’t get what you want try it our way and see how that works! Larry it is your rifle after all, so do as you want, and please do not take offence to my and dpcd’s suggestions, they are meant to help you, not to dictate your actions!
......................................................... patriot