Tools

Which Double do you buy
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
One rifle in particular sticks in my head. I dont know what the history of this gun was but the action looked cosmetically raw and unfinished. It was plain jane, no engraving and that may have made it look worse too. The wood to metal in the rear of this particular action wasnt well done either. Having said that I know quite a few guys who shoot Heyms and they absolutely love them... I guess I was just expecting more.??

Thanks, Matt. I appreciate your input.

In regards to your expectations, we build rifles in different grades of finish.
- The less expensive rifles have less finish.
- The more expensive rifles have more finish.

The rifle you saw was our lowest grade of finish. What Professional Hunters requested in this model were the mechanical features of a "best" grade rifle that they could afford.

1) Automatic Ejectors
2) Intercepting Sears
3) Articulated Front Trigger
4) Stocked to Fit (Right or Left Hand)
5) Your choice of Caliber and Barrel length
6) Cocking Indicators
7) Non-Automatic Safety

To keep these features and quality and lower the price, it's logical that something has to go.

Here is where the savings are:
1) no engraving (immediate cost reduction)
2) less striking/polish on the barrels (less labor = less cost)
3) wood proud of metal (PHs tend to be rough on their guns, and more wood proud leaves more refinishes in the future.)
4) one step down in grade of wood (phs tend to be concerned with strength over figure)
5) short trigger-guard (cuts inletting time)

Of course we could have taken off the intercepting sears and left the engraving, but I think it would be short-sighted to sacrifice safety for appearances.

Your reaction is very similar to that of many first-time buyers.

They have seen rifles with some engraving and "shine" on them at similar prices, but they don't understand that these "shiny" rifles are lacking the mechanical features of the less-“shiny” PH grade.

Once they understand the differences, it's a simple decision; they either want a rifle with some engraving, or they want a rifle with no engraving and all the best mechanical features. That decision is the customer's.

Fortunately, we offer both in a variety of grades targeted at a variety of budgets.

I guess when you say you were expecting more, it’s a matter of whether you’re looking on the inside or the outside for the “more.”

I would invite you to look at one of the higher grade HEYMs. They are more expensive than the PH, but you'll find the finish you're looking for.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
I am by no means a fan of Heyms, but my reasons are purely one of taste, nothing more. They just look unfinished and very plain. I looked at them as well as K guns at DSC and decided the VCs were for me.
For anybody to say anything less than they are masterpieces of German engineering, is either a fool or have an agenda, you know kinda like the two who reported problems with VCs.

You really think I would ignore your immature comments? Agenda?
Oh sure, I wanted to return a $12,000 VC rifle that looked beautiful but was unregulated and shot a nice tight 8-10 inch group at 50 yards with Hornady factory ammo just so I could buy a $17,000 Heym PH. Where is the logic in that?
Ironic I never had any issues shooting either of my Chapuis's, Searcy or the Heym yet the VC proved to be unsatifactory. Pay attention to the fact you are the one who keeps on resurfacing this subject. Go play in your sand box and continue to be an internet troll.

fishing guilty...

Anbesol anybody? and oh; bullshit...

Edited to add: I'm too lazy to do a search...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
I shot this rifle after it got here also. It wasn't right!
It was returned and it is a done deal, KEBCO made it right.
It does appear to be the only one that has been a bad rifle and all the others seem to be fine weapons.
But this one must have slipped thru the cracks.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Mike: I just don't know what to tell you other than I don't doubt your word but I saw both the regulation target as well as other targets after the gun was returned and it shot fine. Are you a leftie by any chance? Like I said I'm too lazy to do an internet search. Cheers, jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
No I'm RH'd and it was set fot a lefty. BUT It still was wrong somehow. Other LH rifles didn't shoot like that so I doubt that is a reason. Snowwolfe is a very good shot too so that wasn't the reason either.
It was something with the rifle. Ken made it right. It's a done deal and history at this point. I hope it was fixed and has a good home now.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Graham:
One rifle in particular sticks in my head. I dont know what the history of this gun was but the action looked cosmetically raw and unfinished. It was plain jane, no engraving and that may have made it look worse too. The wood to metal in the rear of this particular action wasnt well done either. Having said that I know quite a few guys who shoot Heyms and they absolutely love them... I guess I was just expecting more.??

Thanks, Matt. I appreciate your input.

In regards to your expectations, we build rifles in different grades of finish.
- The less expensive rifles have less finish.
- The more expensive rifles have more finish.

The rifle you saw was our lowest grade of finish. What Professional Hunters requested in this model were the mechanical features of a "best" grade rifle that they could afford.

1) Automatic Ejectors
2) Intercepting Sears
3) Articulated Front Trigger
4) Stocked to Fit (Right or Left Hand)
5) Your choice of Caliber and Barrel length
6) Cocking Indicators
7) Non-Automatic Safety

To keep these features and quality and lower the price, it's logical that something has to go.

Here is where the savings are:
1) no engraving (immediate cost reduction)
2) less striking/polish on the barrels (less labor = less cost)
3) wood proud of metal (PHs tend to be rough on their guns, and more wood proud leaves more refinishes in the future.)
4) one step down in grade of wood (phs tend to be concerned with strength over figure)
5) short trigger-guard (cuts inletting time)

Of course we could have taken off the intercepting sears and left the engraving, but I think it would be short-sighted to sacrifice safety for appearances.

Your reaction is very similar to that of many first-time buyers.

They have seen rifles with some engraving and "shine" on them at similar prices, but they don't understand that these "shiny" rifles are lacking the mechanical features of the less-“shiny” PH grade.

Once they understand the differences, it's a simple decision; they either want a rifle with some engraving, or they want a rifle with no engraving and all the best mechanical features. That decision is the customer's.

Fortunately, we offer both in a variety of grades targeted at a variety of budgets.

I guess when you say you were expecting more, it’s a matter of whether you’re looking on the inside or the outside for the “more.”

I would invite you to look at one of the higher grade HEYMs. They are more expensive than the PH, but you'll find the finish you're looking for.
Thanks for that!! Actually, I'm not a first time buyer any more ... but still very much learning this double rifle stuff.

A day spent in the bush is a day added to your life
Hunt Australia - Website
Hunt Australia - Facebook
Hunt Australia - TV

Posts: 4456 | Location: Australia | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote