THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    I got the .577NE V-C double!!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got the .577NE V-C double!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I decided on the .577NE! Ya I know, most of you recommended the .500, but not to fear, Ken Buch and I figured out that problem too. Right now, Ken did not have a .500NE in stock, but he did have this beautiful .577 available. So, I have chosen the .577 and Ken is shipping it to me tomorrow. Then I plan to see him in Dallas at DSC, where he will fit me for a .500NE, and we will order one then too. Right now he tells me that wait time is roughly 8-10 months, and I just couldn't stand to wait that long. So for now, the .577NE it is. This is my first double, and I can't wait to give it a go!

Below are some pics of the gun, I can't wait to get it in my hands. I gotta say, Ken Buch has been extremely helpful, without his effort this would have been a much tougher deal - Thanks Ken!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.

And I agree, Ken is quite helpful, and a grade A guy to do buisness with.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
EXCELLENT!!!
another beautiful gun , no doubt you will be a proud papa when it is in your hands .

you won't be sorry that you went with the 577
clap beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
WooHoo!!! Buy some .577 dies and send them to me. I load you up some Bastard Bullet Works #13's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Lovely! and NOT FAIR you got yours already! Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good deal Aaron!!! Congratulations!!!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First double rifle? Where the hell do you go from there???....like getting a Hemi-Cuda to take your driver's test! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nemo .450
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Aaron! clap

Glad you got a double you can count on. tu2

Lets hope she shoots as well as she looks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. -- John 3:36

http://www.accurateinnovations.com - http://aigunstocks.com/home-2/

NRA Life Member
DSC
SCI
DRSS - STILL waiting on MY "Taksdale" .450NE or a refund... coffee

"Young knight, learn to love God and revere women, so that your honour grows. Practice knighthood and learn the Art that dignifies you, and brings you honour in wars." (Johannes Liechtenauer, 14th century)

Posts: 279 | Location: North-East Georgia | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Aaron, you're hooked now, whether or not you know it! I just purchased my 2nd and plan to order my 3rd at DSC with Ken. Just another obsession to feed. But so much fun.

Congrats, it's a fine looking weapon.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Good going Aaron, Your going to have a lot of fun with that. I hope Ken has you lined out with some ammo.

You and I need to talk soon about several things and now you added one more. Along with the guys here I can help get you started out in the double rifle hunting world I've been useing the two of mine (and others)for 25 years.

Anyway a lot has come up in last few days your going to want to know about. Will talk soon.

Bob Couey

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you can hunt some BIG GAME and leave those lions alone.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
Good going Aaron, Your going to have a lot of fun with that. I hope Ken has you lined out with some ammo.

You and I need to talk soon about several things and now you added one more. Along with the guys here I can help get you started out in the double rifle hunting world I've been useing the two of mine (and others)for 25 years.

Anyway a lot has come up in last few days your going to want to know about. Will talk soon.

Bob Couey

Bob - You know how to reach me, I'm all ears.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
Now you can hunt some BIG GAME and leave those lions alone.

dancing

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Aaron, this one will definitely hold the attention of any animal you are after.

Though it might proof too much for lion unless you are using some bullets like CP13 non con or something similar.
beer:

Malek

Good hunting/shooting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine rifle. I have seen Srose's - he has one too and shot his tusker in 2010 with it.

When you order the 500, it would be really cool to have this 577 also restocked to a higher grade matching wood! A real nice composed pair!

Good luck and can't wait to see more photos and shoot reports.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

I think after you shoot your 577 and hammer a few big animals with it you probably will keep it and leave that 375 Rum home. I'd much rather shoot the 577 than a 375 Rum. Glad to see you have a real rifle now.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Aaron,

I think after you shoot your 577 and hammer a few big animals with it you probably will keep it and leave that 375 Rum home. I'd much rather shoot the 577 than a 375 Rum. Glad to see you have a real rifle now.

Sam

Me too! That little .375 RUM pea-shooter was gettin old. Wink

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Sam,

Send me some starting loads for Aaron's .577 using CEB Bastard Bullet Works #13's.

Thanks in advance!

Lane Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

I've used everything from 107 to 122 grains of RL-15 in my 577. It regulates well with all I've tried. I use 120 grains with the CEBs and that is what I shot my elephant and buffalo with. If I could hold it the gun would shoot both barrels in the same hole at 50 yards. I use either a 28 ga fiber wad or 2 nitro card wads on top of the charge. Have also used foam backer rod 5/8 dia. In the 577 I have found the 28 ga wads work great.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Sam,
Thank you sir!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane you are welcome.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Sam,

Have you felt a difference in recoil for the same velocity using Reloder 15 vs. something like W760 or Accurate 4350 or one of the 4831s?

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
FYI, my experience has been less preasure and thus less felt recoil with RL15. That's why I keep three 5# cannisters in inventory. Wink I also prefer 5/8" backer rod cut to length.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Don,

Do you shoot R-15 in your .500 NE too?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Don,

Do you shoot R-15 in your .500 NE too?

Yes Sir, I do. 95 gr. RL15 with either the 570 gr. BBW #13 brass solids or the 535 gr. BBW #13 brass non-cons. They shoot and look real pretty! Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
When you order the 500, it would be really cool to have this 577 also restocked to a higher grade matching wood! A real nice composed pair!

Now that sounds cool!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the DRSS. Now it will become up close and personal.

Mike

Here is the shell holder holds big cartridges. Texas hunt co

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:

Mike

Here is the shell holder holds big cartridges. Texas hunt co

Mike - Yes sir, I have one that should arrive in the next couple of days.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

Yes I think the 4831s kick more than the faster powders. I have found the the fuller the case the better the rounds shoot seems like. Some like RL-15 and some like H4831. I used to like IMR3031 as it recoils the least. It just depneds on what your gun likes. Not too worried about recoil more about how it shoot.

Aaron,

I see you ordered cartridge holders, I was going to send you mine if needed.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Sam and Mike,

Do the cartridges stay put in those holders when your running climbing and rolling around?

I always worry about heavy rounds like the 577 and 600 sliding down in elastic-loop type holders particularly those designed for a variety of calibers.

Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

Those Texas Hunt Co holders are so tight you have a hard time getting shells out, at least with the 577s. I had some made out of my elephant leather that I look forward to trying.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sam - I'll have to order myself one - at least until I get one made from the elephant I hope to get in November

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Yes they hold them tight but with use of loading and pulling they will work perfectly. The cartridges do not come out and stay put. My 450# 2's in mine are very good.
The spacing around them allows a good grip.
Ivan Carter used one with his 600.
Sam I have not had any problem with tightness and will be shooting it again at the vintagers World championships in Pintail point Md. in Sept.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of difference between a 450 NE and a 577 NE in size, these are a one size fits all so 577 is tight but works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got my Texas Hunt Co. belt/cartridge holder today in the mail. I put some .470NE rounds in to loosen em up a bit. I'll probably have the .577 rounds by Thursday (Thanks Sam). Ya, they'll likely be tight, but I do like the set-up.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Sorry you had to settle for your second choice, but I bet the .577 would work on lions too. Just a thought --

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Glad you liked the idea. How about a matching double case in elephant leather with some African wood contracts? You could go the whole hog & do all the turn screws in matching finish as well. It will end up an absolute heart stopper! the exta bits don't cost too much do they? They would certainly add to the final CLASS of the pair. I just love the classic English look with minimalist elegance & not the bold (German) engraving . Thanks for sharing.

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:

Now that sounds cool!!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike

That statement is the reason I cringe whenever I hear someone recommend "A scoped 375 is your best bet". The DR makes hunting DG a completely different affair!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Mike

That statement is the reason I cringe whenever I hear someone recommend "A scoped 375 is your best bet". The DR makes hunting DG a completely different affair!

tu2

I can't agree more.

Malek

Good hunting/shooting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken sent me the gun last week, and today it has arrived!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com