Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimfire double
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I think that with the action scaled down maybe 22" barrels would look nice.

As for velocity, I once tested 6 different brands of ammo through rifles with barrels ranging from 16" to 29" and all 6 showed increased velocity with each increase in barrel length all the way to 29" where I ran out as I had nothing longer. Even the lowly 22 LR goes faster in the longer barrels.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Gosh these are gonna be neat. If even half the people who are thinking "I need one of those" come through with deposits, you will do VERY well with this project.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, everything is coming together. FFL should arive in a couple of weeks. Prototype is cocking, locking and ejecting.

First deliveries will be in September. Feel free to contact me for ordering details. baileybradshaw@netscape.com or (903)968-2029.

Thanks!!

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a temporary website up.

www.bradshawcutlery.citymax.com go to the bottom page on the menu titled "web page" ( I know...couldn't seem to get it to take the title I wanted)

I have pricing and ordering options listed. It's a little light on pictures, but that will change shortly.

THANKS!!

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey-

Not quite running on all cylinders yet.

from your link...

"Not Found
The requested URL /page/page/4076052.htm was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.41 Server at www.bradshawcutlery.com Port 80"

Looking forward to seeing your rifles out there in the field bagging squirrels!

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah....not sure what is going on, but I am looking into it.

I can get in to edit the site with no problem and the link is correct. May just need a little time for the changes to go through.

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
bailey,
Suspect you need a teenager relative or neighbor to sort this website problem...

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It seems to be a domain name problem. My old domain name expired, which was assigned to my current site, and some one hijacked it before I even knew it was expired.

I have started a new site that I will reveal in a day or two.

Sure would be nice not to have to be the IT department as well as....everything else :-)

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wahoo!! My old website is back up. www.bradshawcutlery.citymax.com . I have a temporary page for the rifles with pricing and options.

As for progress....Well, I will be shooting next week. All that is needed for the first shots are firing pins, chambering and final fit on the ejectors.

The rifle weighs in at 5.7 lbs, and balances 1.5" in front ( muzzel end) of the hinge pin. It points great and weighs enough to have substance. The weight of the barrels are almost enough to cock the locks, but they will certainly be enough once everything is heat treated and polished.

The front sight base has a regulating screw for spread.

I am very pleased with the rifles feel and overall look. It's nice and slim, but doesn't have a "toy" feel. It shoulders and points great. Should be hell on jack rabbits. :-)

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
BB, looking great! thumb

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First shots will ring out of this thing tomorrow afternoon. Just need to make the firing pins and chamber it....can't wait and will certainly give a range report.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Humina humina humina!

Wow!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle Bailey! Wish I could be there to see you shoot her for the first time!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a short 3 1/2 hr drive Rusty......your always welcome and we could slay a porker while you are here.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, ran a few rounds through her today. I need to make a couple of adjustments to the firing pins and add more weight to the hammers. I had a couple of miss fires due to too little force. Certainly fixable and will be tomorrow.

Very cool to hear her voice for the first time though. A very encouraging note was it shot consistently and the barrels heated less than expected. I didn't attempt to regulate it yet, but did play with the regulating screw and it proved effective.

More upates tomorrow....

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Bailey, You sir are a God amongst double men.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Phuque,

Heavier hammers didn't help the problem, but I am on the trail to the solution. I switched to a coil spring system that even though the springs I have on hand are too weak, the hammers go farther past their resting position and rebound smoother than the V spring arrangement I was using. I know V springs are traditional, and If I had more room to work in I could make them work just fine.

Just disappointed as I was hoping to have her close to being regulated today.

One cool thing though, when I did get it to shoot, there is just a touch of recoil. I like that as it makes the rifle feel more "real" . I was a little concerned it would feel like a pellet gun.

Bailey Bradshaw

posted Hide Post
Grenadier's point about the mustaches wrapping under is a good one. Depending on the price, I would be very interested in the 22 Hornet/28 gauge. Have you considered making a set of combination barrels in .22 Hornet/28 gauge or even a drilling using 22 LR/22 Hornet/28 gauge?

Posts: 8 | Location: Occupied California | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kevin,

For now, I am just making the rifles. Still getting an angle on shotgun barrels, and they will all be .410s for now due to the action size. It could handle the pressure, just physicaly too small. I do plan to make medium size caliber doubles on 28ga size actions, and that will certainly pave the way for rifle/ 28ga guns.

I would love a 7X57r/28ga two barrel set to take to Argentina for Red stag and dove. Thats almost too much fun to think about...

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WAHOO!! Were shootin'now.

I redesigned the mainspring/hammer setup to use coil springs. Mainly for the rebounding hammers. With so little room to manage, the V springs were too short to allow enough overtravel for the hammer to strike hard enough. The coil spring setup uses a trinagular prinical to rebound the hammers rather than bouncing off the spring. The result is there is less returning force, so the hammers retain their forward momentum carrying more inertia into the firing pin.

It's a little easier to cock the rifle as well ( not that it was difficult before, the weight of the barrels almost did the job) Feels smoother though.

Hammers sure hit harder and she goes bang every time. Will start regulating tomorrow and Thursday. Pictures then as well.

I'm a happy man!!

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a little range time this afternoon. Started out with the barrels crossing ( started at 20 yds). I expected them to based on measuring the width of the bores at the breech and muzzel. A couple of adjustments for getting the barrels to shoot close to the same plane horizontally, then adjust for spread. My regulating screw worked well, but I do need to make a wider front assembly as the barrels required more than the assembly has travel.

The picture of the group was from 20 yds, the aim point was undefined, ....as in "edge of the post, about 1 inch below the nail"

I am pretty pleased. I will dial it in more tomorrow afternoon. The ejectors need a little more work, and then she will be ready for engraving and finishing.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
YEEHAWWWWWW!

Looking good Bailey! Thanks for sharing your progress!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bailey,

Some thought on the African Big Game forum that k-hornet barrels should be 10" twist to stabilize heavy bullets. What's your take on this?
Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

According to Shilen, 1-12 twist is good up to 63 gr. bullets, and they go to 1-9 for up to 70 gr. Sounds like they are correct with the 1-10 twist.

I can't draw on first hand experience here, so just "go with the pros" at Shilen.

BTW, if any of you don't have a hot date for the weekend, drop by the Bladesmith EXPO in San Antonio. We are at the Hilton downtown by the Alamo. Demonstrations on Friday during the day...forging, engraving, damascus making and so on. The very best bladesmiths are there, and previews have revealed some incredible knives. Let me know you are coming and I will get you in on your good looks :-)

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bailey,

OK. So let's go with 1 in 10 for the k-hornet barrels you are making for me! Believe they'll be .224 as the modern caliber, too.

Would much enjoy going to San Antonio, but it's a long flight from Kabul. The elections are tomorrow and I'm part of the US gov't support for them, and likely to be here some weeks longer or even until mid-October if no one wins an absolute majority 20 August and there's a run off.

Regards, Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, will do just that. 1-10 it is.

Please do keep you head down over there. Been keeping an aya on that area and it is certainly hot over there.

Best to you and a speedy trip home!!

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey,

Please post those In Process pictures of the damascus action rifle here, too. I did not see that option on your web pages, but am happy with my more conventional choice.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

It's certainly not too late for damascus on your rifle. I wanted to get this one underway and resolve a couple of issues with making sure the design would work with the damascus I make before offering it as an option.

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to place an order for one of your double rifles in 22 Hornet. Let me know when to send a check for deposit.
Leonard

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leonard,

I sent you a PM, but please feel free to e-mail me at baileybradshaw@netscape.com as well.

Thanks,
Bailey

Bailey Bradshaw