New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimfire double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...I know ...it does look cleaner without the moustaches. Not to mention easier to finish.

Keith, I am going to try to make it to the Houston shoot. I don't have a big bore, but will bring my 7x57R single and of course the 22 action.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
BB, burn the mid-night oil and finish it. Should be a real kick in the pants(hahahaha). lol

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few pics with the triggers installed and the monoblock fresh of the mill. I took one shot with the action in hand to show the size. I have large paws, but not huge by any means.

Also shows the double underbites and the forend hanger. This will essentialy free float the barrels from the forend.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome, Bailey! Thanks for letting us see your progress!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rojovin
posted Hide Post
Bailey: For some unknown reason I am unable to view the pics posted here on this site. I have tried to ask the webmaster several times to assist and never heard from them. I tried cleaning up the cookies and all other things that would bog this down. I am hoping you or some one on this board can help me get to view them and begin to enjoy this site. I have never been able to open them or view them. Thanks in advance. Robert Studen..Long Island New York Member aka" Rojovin.

Posts: 96 | Location: Long Island New York | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow, what are you doing working on guns this close to Blade? Wink Looks nice, are you going to bring it?

It's all in the reflexes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WOW....nice work!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smoked in the monoblock this morning. It's a dirty, time consuming and ultra satisfying process.

PepeLp,

I have Blade show knives underway too. Just can't help myself at times :-)

Robert,

You might look into the filters on your browser settings. All of my pictures are hosted on Photobucket and linked intot he threads. If your browser doesn't allow this, they won't show for you.

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm curious if the action you are making is a designated rimfire action, or will it be for shotgun/centerfire as well? The reason I ask is because the location and style of the firing pin would be different. A rimfire striking off center of the bore, with a squared off pin, versus a shotgun/centerfire pin that would be rounded and centered to the bore? I'm also curious how you align the barrels. Keep the parallel, or set them for the same impact point at a certain range. Also, do you weld the barrels in place, or just soldier?

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please make it around 10.5 lbs as I am recoil sensitive.

Will a mercury recoil reducer be an option?

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bailey Bradshaw:
I have been working on designing a rimfire double rifle to go into production in late 09. I am VERY close to machining prototype parts and need to hear opinions from potential customers regarding barrel length for rimfires....primarily 22lr.

From what I have read, anything over 16" offers no benefit for velocity. That being said, 16" tubes don't look "right" on a double rifle. I am leaning towards using 20" barrels. Possibly 18"??

As a side note to "introduce" the gun. The action is sized the same as a 28ga, round action of Dickson/ McKay Brown influence with removable trigger group, double Purdey underbites and a few unique touches of my own.

Please let me hear your opinions on the barrel length!!

Thanks!!

Cool! 22"!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please make it around 10.5 lbs as I am recoil sensitive.

Will a mercury recoil reducer be an option?

SB45,
Oh come on, now! You know it is going to be too heavy for it's caliber! animal

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SB45,

Just for you, I will chisel out a cavity in the stock and cast a hunk of lead in it. Of course you need balance, so I can do the same thing on the forend :-)

Scott,

The firing pins will be threaded capsules. I am brainstorming the idea of making the firing pin with an adjustment to go from rimfire to centerfire, but I am not sure if I can pull that off. The barrels will be threaded into the monoblock, with a soldered on quarter rib. They will have a front sight block with regulating adjustment. The first run of rifles will all be rimfire, but centerfires are in the plan.

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The first run of rifles will all be rimfire.......

If you need anyone testers for these prototypes, you just let me know! I won't even charge for my services!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, in regards to the firing pin switching from rimfire to centerfire.....I have figured it out. Best of all, it will be easy and fast to switch from one to the other. Will spend the weekend proving the design and next week contacting a pattent attorney Cool

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jamie,

Thanks, glad you like it so far. I'm doing my best to keep the base price around 5,000.

Hey Rusty!!

Too rich for my blood.

You may want to check the ballance of your gun when you make the prototype. I have an Encore with 22lr barrel, it is a little nose heavy with a 16.25 inch barrel (but still my favorite 22lr). I think your double barrel will be very heavy with 22-28 inch barrels.

CISSP, CISA, CRISC looking for a IT Security/Audit Manager spot

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is just an opinion but I think you'll find that long 22 barrels on such a small receiver will lead to a barrel heavy balance. A little of this is fine and may help the hold for aiming but you don't want the barrels to overwhelm the overall balance, both esthetic and actual. Given that maximum velocity in a .22 LR is achieved in about 18 inch barrels. meaning barrel length doesn't help in that regard as it would in a centerfire, on the prototype, I'd start with say, 24s and see how they feel/look. If they don't suit I'd whack off a bit and try again......

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you that the gun needs to be balanced, and I assure you it will be balanced properly for a rifle.

The barrels will have a quarter rib of course, but not the full length of the barrels. The degree of taper of the barrels along with the thickness of the contour overall can be manipulated to help balance the longer barrels.

There will be a happy medium where both asthetics and balance are achieved. There always is.....and I will find it.

I think I have a cad program that will calculate the weight of objects in a given material. That will certainly help.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey
The thing that worries me about your build is that it is a rim fire. You will be the subject to what ammo is available, Different lots of of the same brand often shoot quite different ( one lot of cci standard will shoot quite different in a bolt gun than the next lot. That is the same with all makes. With a double gun it will even be more complicated ) I hope you will make your barrel set adjustable for regulation.

For a plinking gun I would like a 22 hornet or a 357 mag.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Just my opine. . .
It ought to be regulated for a standard 22 Long Rifle round such as Winchester Wildcat, Remington, or CCI. It should be regulated with 40 grain solid bullets.

And I don't care how much it weighs! I just want one of Bailey's doubles!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bailey,

Just a thought here, but suggest you consider putting a folding top lever peep sight on the top lever screw of this double. Many of those interested are in or close to the visually challenged age and a top lever peep will keep them able to use iron sights. (You look through the peep, ensure that the bead is down in the vee of the back sight and are astonished that things are in focus as in the days of younger eyes.)

This would add a few hundred dollars at most to the cost of the double, but multiply the joy of using it.

Here's a pix of one that JJ Perodeau added to my .303 Brit.

Regards,
Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I have a pretty close prediction on the barrel weight. Looks like they will weigh in at just over 3lbs together. The action weighs 1lbs 12 oz. So with the barrels, action, ribs and front sight base/regulation block, we are looking at 5lbs.

I calculated the barrel weight at an average diameter of .6" at 24" length. I think they will come in lighter than my calculation, but I like to err of the sid eof caution.

Either way, we are looking at a 7lbs rifle at the upper end.

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just ran across this:

$26,500 and up ......

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I can see it now, aline of coon hunters, each with 30k to get one. rotflmo

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taking nothing away from CSMC's little rifle, as it is definately an exceptionaly made piece. I handled one that was in the white at the DSC show. It's a little small and feels a little toy like for me.

All in all, I am after a different market based solely on my price point. At $26500, you could own 4 of mine and pay for a hunt for you and your three friends to use them ( CONUS vermin only) :-)

I really think keeping the rifles affordable to a larger demographic is the only way I will have suucess with this venture. ...That and my FFL......which is in process......

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey,
Great project. Here is a link to a 22lr/410 2 barrel set you might find interesting.
http://www.drake.net/wilkins410twobblset
I have handled this gun and it was very well done. Made back around 1992 give or take a year.

Michael J

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not greatly impressed by the Drake offering. No bushed strikers at that price and rifle barrels are too long...

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey-

I've been following this since it was outed on NE
If I didn't say it then, note this now -- I want in on your contact list for when this thing starts rolling to production.

The price point you note is actually within my reach, and if this venture works out for you I'll be looking at another period of culling and resourcefulness to fund the effort.

Sign me up.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been doing a little work here and there. Got my prototype barrels in, as unturned blanks, and set about machining one of them to the contour I want. It's totaly unrealistic for me to turn the barrels on my mill as it is a little small and it's basicly a waste of time. I just wanted to make sure the finished size was OK. I could only get 22.5" barrels with this method, but I am looking at 24" for the production rifles. Based on the weight of the barrel I have turned to size, the rifle will weigh 6 lbs..The barrels will be threaded into the monoblock.

BTW, had my ATF inspection last week and it went very well. Providing our zoning is as I stated ( which I am 99% sure it is), I should have my lisence by mid August.

OK, enough dialog, here are a few pics.

Bailey Bradshaw

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What a beauty! Very nice Bailey!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bailey, it's great to see your project progress I'm very interested on getting in line for one of these little jewels. Are you going to have a straight stock thus again keeping price down? I'm Lt. handed and of course like to know some of the stock options that might be available.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Been doing a little more work on this. I assembled the lockwork and have the trigger group fitted.

Jeez that looks nice. If Freda hits the lottery, I want one...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14620 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradshaw,
I am most impressed and would also like to be added to the list.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please add me to your prospect list. I have a couple of your knives, so I know your standards, and look forward to an opportunity to buy a rifle. The prototype is coming along very nicely!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry,

Which knives of mine do you own? Will certainly add you name to my list of prospective double duce afficiandos :-)

Bailey Bradshaw

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Please put me on the list as well, Bailey. That is beauty!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one that is close at hand is a San Francisco style bowie with high polish on the three pin bone handle, and just a fine line of scroll engraving on the spacer (prox 1/8" wide) at the hilt. Blade is 6".

I have specialized in the SF bowie for the past few years, so they are the only knives "on display" in my gun room. I have about 30, ranging from the antiques to contemporary makers.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bailey: You are a wonderful machinist, and you have an ever better eye for line and aesthetics. Thanks for letting us watch your project unfold. Godspeed to you.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:
I have been working on designing a rimfire double rifle to go into production in late 09. I am VERY close to machining prototype parts and need to hear opinions from potential customers regarding barrel length for rimfires....primarily 22lr.

From what I have read, anything over 16" offers no benefit for velocity. That being said, 16" tubes don't look "right" on a double rifle. I am leaning towards using 20" barrels. Possibly 18"??

As a side note to "introduce" the gun. The action is sized the same as a 28ga, round action of Dickson/ McKay Brown influence with removable trigger group, double Purdey underbites and a few unique touches of my own.

Please let me hear your opinions on the barrel length!!

Thanks!!

Cool! 22"!

Hallo friend! Would you allow me to correct your German? "Bitte nicht das Wasser trinken. Da haben die Kuehe reingeschissen"
PS: I hope you'll correct my English as well... Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want in on whatever list of people you call when you are ready to start selling these......

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote