Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on a Blaser Double
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Just wondering as to your thoughts on the Blaser S2 double. From the stand point of a decent shooter to more than likely put holes in paper or Texas Hogs.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
Just wondering as to your thoughts on the Blaser S2 double. From the stand point of a decent shooter to more than likely put holes in paper or Texas Hogs.

Some like them, some don't. I am in the "don't" group. If someone gave me one the first thing I would do is put it up for sale!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am in the "don't" group

Any chance of saying why you don't like them?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
posted Hide Post
More interesting is the Blasert double 9.3x74R with a shotgun barrel on top, or, I think on special order, a 3 barrel Blaser in that calibre.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
check out www.gunbroker.com 46964191

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the Blasers are just ugly. Aestetically (sp?) I would much rather have a Merkel, Heym, or even Kriegoff. Most of the Blasers I have seen for sale are more expensive than most other makers.

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Merkel, Heym, or even Kriegoff

Thanks for the list of name. I agree several of those look better.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bloodnativ:
I think the Blasers are just ugly. Aestetically (sp?) I would much rather have a Merkel, Heym, or even Kriegoff. Most of the Blasers I have seen for sale are more expensive than most other makers.

The above is true, and to top this off, they have used every assembly line technique known to ford motor company to build them, and their looks shows it! Still, they are expensive!

The above is simply the way they look, which IMO, isn't good, but that has nothing to do with their quality, or reliability. What does have to do with reliability is #1 the auto safety/cocking system, that can't be disconnected! #2 The hood over the chambers that the rocking bolt engages to lock the rifle closed, interfereing with quick re-load. #3 The rear sight is too far out on the barrel set, shortening the sight radious to much! #4 The rubber ribs between the barrels. IMO, the Blaser
is an over engineered, ugly, accident waiting to happen. I don't like the Krieghoff system much, but it is heads and shoulders above the Blaser, and certainly looks a lot better. Like Bloodnativ said, I'd much rather have a Merkel!

thumbdown thumbdown thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:
I am in the "don't" group

Any chance of saying why you don't like them?

I think MacD37 got it covered before I got back. They are "fat butt" ugly also. It kinda like comparing Mariyln Monroe to "the little snot nosed girl across the the street", they just aren't in the same league!

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
Since you are in Houston... come up to the Bubba shoot this saturday.... I'll have my cogswell 475 NE double... it's beautiful and a pussycat to shoot...

Al

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me comment on the Blaser Double rifle.
I have handled severfal of them, from the 9,3 to the 500.
I like Blaser R 93's and the Blaser K 95 single shot, I own, shoot and hunt with them.
I have also handled the Blaser double rifle drilling.
The drilling and the double rifles feel ok when you shoulder them. The sights line up perfectly for me. I think the 375 Blaser double is a little heavy for calibre, but the 470 and 500 are of proper weight. The Blaser scope mount system in one of the best on the Planet.
I love British double rifles, and I think they are the best example of human gun making since the dawn of Man. The Blaser double rifles are RADICAL NEW TECHNOLOGY. They turn off many purist. They do have sort of a "fat" look to them.
I do believe this based on the Blaser products I have owned, they will shoot great and work as advertised. The scope mounts go back to zero 100%.
I think they are the strongest double rifle action ever made. I do not think the "hood" thast extends over the barrels would bother me in the slightest when reloading, it does not bother me on my Blaser K 95.
Even the fact that when you break the action open after shooting one or two rounds it uncocks, and must be recocked, is not that big a deal IF YOU HAVE PRACTICED AND ARE COMPLETELY FAMILAR WITH YOUR GUN. However I wish the Blaser wss like the Krieghoff, and once cocked, stayed cocked.
If you like the gun get one and learn it. I know it will shoot good, that is a given.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
rather have a Merkel, Heym, or even Kriegoff.

Why "even" a Krieghoff? Do you really believe a Merkel or Heym is better than a DR from Krieghoff? Many well-known PHs, ie. Duckworth, Dedekind, Luc Samaras are fond of the 'Classic Big Five'.

Posts: 640 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sunshine
A Krieghoff has a unique combi cocking device that turns off many double rifle purists.
After using Blaser R 93 bolt rifles and a Blaser K 95, I would not have a problem using the krieghoff double riflew. I have shot one Krieghoff a 500/416, and it shot very well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will say this, If I had a choice between hunting with a Blaser double rifle or ANY bolt rifle, for African DG I would take the Blaser Double WITHOUT QUESTION.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since you are in Houston... come up to the Bubba shoot this saturday.... I'll have my cogswell 475 NE double... it's beautiful and a pussycat to shoot...

When and where is the shoot?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I share NE 450 #2's fondness for the R93 and K95 Blasers. I own or have owned them and hunt with them frequently. Being left handed it really offers selection not available any where else.

I did own a S2 in 9.3x74R for a while. It shot very well and I liked it a bunch however, when another lefty offered me a sweet deal on a Krieghoff Big Five in a DG caliber (500/416) that I could not pass up, the S2 went away in the trade.

Well, the Krieghoff now has an additional set of 9.3x74R barrels on it and I have grown to love the way it shoots. So much so that I also acquired a Krieghoff Classic in .30-06. Not rimmed, I know, but shoots very well and has been very good to me in Africa and here at home.

Just my $.02 worth. Nothing here other than a 45-70 discussion seems to polarize folks as much as a Blaser topic.

Good luck.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MacD37, as you get older and your eyes lose their focusing flexibility, having the rear sight way down the barrel is a big advantage and IMO makes up for the loss of sight radius.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Blaser S2 is not a dangerous game gun. When you reload it, you have to cock it AGAIN. Any chance somebody would forget to re-cock it in a dangerous game situation? At least with a hammer gun it is easy to see that it is not cocked.

However, I suppose that if you run out of ammo then you can use the rubber thing between the barrels of an S2 to make a slingshot.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I certainly wasn't implying that there is something wrong with Kreighoff. They are gorgeous guns. I am seriously considering one for my first double (along with Merkel, Heym, and Searcy). I was purely speaking of aesthetics. I can't comment on functionality until I've actually used one for a while.

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vigillinus:
MacD37, as you get older and your eyes lose their focusing flexibility, having the rear sight way down the barrel is a big advantage and IMO makes up for the loss of sight radius.

Big Grin Vigil, I'm 69 yrs old, and use tri-focals, and the Blaser sight didn't do a thing for me! Confused However, even with bad eyes, I can still see how ugly the Blaser is!

jumping jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote