THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Searcy Screw Grip Action Double Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy Screw Grip Action Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
Butch Searcy has been building a new .375 Flanged Magnum double for me on a Webley screw grip action for some time now. He just got the action back from the engraver, so the rifle is in the final throws of construction. Butch said he will complete the rifle and have it in my hands within the next 2-3 weeks. I will post photos of the finished rifle when I have it in hand as well as range results. I think this one was worth waiting for.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like it is turning into a seriously nice rifle. Congratulations.

I am looking forward to seeing the result in a few weeks.

Any idea of the load that will be used to regulate it?

Best wishes, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A beauty! Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have an idea of what the weight might be ?
Definitely a wonderful addition.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Very nice. I look forward to seeing the finished action. I am not that familiar with a screw grip, how would you describe the advantages and disadvantages of such an action?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, very nice!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, if you pay more than $20K for any DR action, it's called "Screw Grip" :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
To answer a few of the questions posted:
- the rifle will be regulated to shoot a 270 grain Barnes X triple shock over 63.0 grains of RL15 with poly wadding/ Fed 215 primer and Jamison brass.
- as best I remember, the rifle weighs 8 ½ pounds and has 26" barrels
- Someone more knowledgable than me, like MacD37, could probably tell you a whole lot more about the Webley screw grip action on which my rifle is based. I did a Google search for "Webley Screw Grip" and found out a little info - as I recall, it is regarded as one of the strongest boxlock actions ever made.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Beautiful work. The term "screw grip" should really have been called "cam grip", (has nothing to do with the stock grip either); It is when the opening lever cams the rib extension (which can be in doll's head form, or square like yours) downward. It is a very strong system since it combines the features of the standard Purdey under locking system with the doll's head type of barrel extension, AND has the camming action on that extension as well. Better than the Greener system in that Greener's does not cam the barrels downward. Now, are all these locks needed with modern steel? I know the answer but I won't say here. This will be a work of art, rifle.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
The Engraving is very beautiful and I expect you
will enjoy looking at it nearly as much as
hunting it. I think this version is based on the
Webley A&WC action. (not the PHV-1)

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
I copied the excerpt below from a "Gray's Sporting Journal" article that discussed this action:

The “screw-grip” refers to a rib extension that seats in the standing breech. An L-shaped extension slips under the spindle. As the gun is closed and the lever moves back into the locked position, the underside of the lever around the spindle acts as a cam on the extension and bolts it solidly in place.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Looking nice admiral! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been seriously contemplating the 375 flanged in a DR but your choice in the 270 TSX in the 375 is what makes me interested.
I look forward to see the final product and excuse me for living vicariously through your experience.
You will have a wonderful rifle here

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the load information Sir.

best wishes,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Beautiful engraving....I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An 8 1/2 pound, 375 Flanged Magnum double rifle. Sounds like the "All round rifle" that Taylor once wrote about.

Very nice and looking forward to seeing this beauty finished.

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
looking great! Hope he builds it with an English type fore-end. Now that would be good to see.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam

Love the shoulders on the forearm of a Delux Jeffery. I assume a Jeffery?

Have seen the same on some from Army Navy. Any Leonard markings on that rifle?

Didn't mean to side track thread.

That Searcy certainly will be a class rifle.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Does the table/bar on Butches action not look considerably shorter than a Webley Screw Grip? Not saying that is an issue I just thought I heard a year or so ago that he was going to produce an exact copy of a Webly Screw Grip.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Am I correct that the SEARCY action is based on the
Webley A&WC action, not the PHV-1?

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:

no idea - you would have to ask Butch

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Not that one would "let you down" where the other would "pull you through". Smiler

D/R Hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Thanks for posting pics of the sides as well. Very Nice.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:
Originally posted by D R Hunter:

no idea - you would have to ask Butch

A PHV-1 dollshead does not extend all the way to the takedown lever screw like a screw grip does.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Webley A&WC action. 1902 Army Navy.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You previously wrote you had to sell your bradshaw double to fund a hunt. seing this thread males me wonder if the real reason was not disclosed. maybe it was the caliber, maybe the falling block mechanism, who knows? just very hard to believe waiting for years for a custom double, being really satisfied with it, then paying for a hunt with it at the same time as ordering a new custom double from a different maker...

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
looking great! Hope he builds it with an English type fore-end. Now that would be good to see.

+1

Beavertail fore ends on double rifles are visually insulting.

I'm looking forward to seeing the end product. Who's doing the engraving?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
You previously wrote you had to sell your bradshaw double to fund a hunt. seing this thread males me wonder if the real reason was not disclosed. maybe it was the caliber, maybe the falling block mechanism, who knows? just very hard to believe waiting for years for a custom double, being really satisfied with it, then paying for a hunt with it at the same time as ordering a new custom double from a different maker...

My reason for selling the Bradshaw was genuine. Butch Searcy built me a .500NE years go, and I traded that rifle back to him for this .375NE. In the end, I had to pay a bit extra for the engraving, but that is another story. The .375NE was supposed to be completed quite a while ago, but I think it will be worth the wait.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
looking great! Hope he builds it with an English type fore-end.

Agreed!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
looking great! Hope he builds it with an English type fore-end.

Agreed!

+1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand. Sorry.. Great looking 375 btw!!!

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Mr. Searcy seems to be upping his game of late. Nice to see.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

Go look at shootaway's newest rifle and you will want to edit your post.

Mac

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:

Go look at shootaway's newest rifle and you will want to edit your post.

That is just you and surestrike-everyone else likes it-now explain that caca head.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
explain that caca head.

Both your maturity and use of the English language is improving steadily.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrettAKSCI:
quote:

+1

Beavertail fore ends on double rifles are visually insulting.

I'm looking forward to seeing the end product. Who's doing the engraving?

Brett

Ron Collings did the engraving. He has engraved my other three Searcy rifles as well, but they were nothing as grand as this .375 Flanged double.