New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here is Mike Brooks taking an innovative approach to creating a double rifle.

Matt Moore

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, those are 2 Ruger No 1 rifles that have been joined together in the most unholy of marriages!

The cool thing about this creation are the innovative features. Here you can see how Mike utilized a vibration dampening foam between the 2.

Matt

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Yep! A back woods, redneck style, falling block double rifle.
That's a 450 3 1/4" NE double! This unique set up allows for easy conversion and regulation adjustments. The sighting options are endless.
While it may not have all the fancy carvings of Larry's Bradshaw 450, at least I didn't have to wait or let Hooker fondle it before I did!

There is a chance that I may need to upgrade to Gorilla tape after a few range sessions. Note the unique white line spacers.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In this photo, you can better see how he joined the 2 together with 100 mph tape. This is one of secrets Alaskan gunsmiths rarely share with anyone outside the AK community. This joining method is quick and provides an excellent reference point for those who have problems with mounting their guns and an inconsistent cheek weld.

Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And here is a picture of the business end of the creation.

Mike is known for thinking "Outside the Box" and I have to applaud him for utilizing an unconventional front sight arrangement. Even though it is a bit different, he is set for any light condition that a modern hunter can face with this set up.

I know this will stoke the fire under Bailey Bradshaw as he sees the new competition from "The Last Frontier." I will interview Mike this weekend and see what he has in mind for engraving, etc.

Larry, eat your heart out!!!!!

Matt

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this will be the prototype for Bailey's Alaskan line...... Eeker

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Moore:
And here is a picture of the business end of the creation.

Mike is known for thinking "Outside the Box" and I have to applaud him for utilizing an unconventional front sight arrangement. Even though it is a bit different, he is set for any light condition that a modern hunter can face with this set up.

I know this will stoke the fire under Bailey Bradshaw as he sees the new competition from "The Last Frontier." I will interview Mike this weekend and see what he has in mind for engraving, etc.

Larry, eat your heart out!!!!!

Matt

This can't be real Alaskan photos. There are no bullet holes in the dumpster.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7597 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
LOL, I don't shoot into my own stuff!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Put a Moose crossing sign on there and see how long it lasts. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7597 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless that is memory foam, I suspect a Sabatti will hold it's regulation better.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, That is quite a comination gun. You are going to have to either hire a couple strong young gunbearers or put a carriage under that thing. I especially like your use of the styrofoam to get that custom fitted look and feel. This should also make you elligable for the Red Green traveling trophy for inovative uses of Duct Tape! Well Done! Bob

Posts: 141 | Location: Iowa,U.S.A. | Registered: 13 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art, I can assure you that no Dremel tools were used or harmed in the making of that double rifle. I am sure Mike will be able to add or subtract foam in the stock area to adjust the convergence of the barrels and the muzzles will be unmolested.

I will post a target later.

Matt

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Art,
Each barrel has it own set of sighting options. Note that Burris Fastfire on the LH set and stock irons on the RH. It can easily handle a scope on either or both. Imagine a 1.5X5 Leupy on one side and a 4X18 on the other for longer shots on plains game. I also have a starlight scope for either side. The possibilities are endless!

BTW, Red Green ROCKS!!!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOL!

Thank you for sharing that! I enjoyed it very much!

Will you, Mike, be next working on an O/U format variant for those, maybe Browning B25 shot gun owners, more accustomed to that layout?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That might be looked at in the near future! Right now there are too many orders coming in to be filled before we can begin any fresh projects. Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, if I known that you were into such things, we could have saved you a lot of time money your .450 NE!!!!!!

Ellis

Ellis450

Posts: 45 | Location: United States | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Please note that this unique rifle is avaiable in a wide variety of calibers. Mix and match anything up to the 450 Nitro.
Imagine a 223 along side a 375 H&H and then easily convert it to a 30-06 and a 458 or a 450/400.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
(shudder) Eeker Stainless with plywood stocks will also be offered on a limited basis. shocker

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike
Do you think a Boa with 2 sided tape could take the place of the hoard duct tape?
With the separation makes the cup holder idea a reality
Thanks for sharing
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I suppose a foam cup holder could be worked out. I know you Texans like your Lone Star beer nearby. Would some fuzzy dice sound good too?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Have I been out of the loop! Why in hell am I sending my doubles off to Griffin and Howe for work when such a talented gunsmith is in my back yard?
Mike--are you taking this double on your Australian doubles only hunt in June?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
With all of that recoil pad area, it should be as like shooting a 243. hilbily

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:

Mike--are you taking this double on your Australian doubles only hunt in June?
Cal

No that many serial numbers would confuse them at Customs too much .. I'll take the Searcy.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:
I got over here to look at your great invention.
IF you haven't yet, you'd better get that patent paper sent in before someone snatches up your fine idea! Sure wouldn't want you to invent such a fantastic rifle assembly as this and then get beat out of the patent potentials.

(hate to admit it to the rest of these guys after seeing this wonderful gunsmith in action, but, he claims to be related to me in blood line") IS that good or bad??

Thanks for sharing,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5949 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pez
posted Hide Post
How soon can i get my name on the waiting list for one of these bad boys?! lol

Posts: 229 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 09 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
You better approach that bear or moose from the mat finished side of the gun! That gloss will be a sure give away!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Aww they don't care..
That rumor was started by the gun mfgrs. to sell more guns!

It worked! Big Grin

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too am enthralled with projects such as this. Being the practical sort, I endeavored upon my own journey. This however, into the world of combination guns.
Here is the result of my first attempt.

I know it is not technically a double rifle, yet.

Posts: 106 | Location: Northern CA | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Pics. Lou!

I'd considered using cord to lash it together but since this is a 450 Nitro I decided to go all the way and go with Duct Tape. Nothing but the best!
I still have the ultra option of Gorilla Tape at some point in the future if this doesn't meet my expectations.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely a fine piece of innovative weaponry. I have but one question for you... do you plan on making a left handed model?

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pez:
How soon can i get my name on the waiting list for one of these bad boys?! lol

Pez, you're on your way to owning half of one of these now. I may be talked into another 'commisioned build'. Better hurry the list is getting long now.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ELeeton:
Definitely a fine piece of innovative weaponry. I have but one question for you... do you plan on making a left handed model?

I suppose that you want one of those gawd awful stainless ones with the plywood stocks too huh? Roll Eyes

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike
Well I will be in Alaska about the 4th of September till when ever maybe the 25th. Biebs is to be there also, maybe we can all meet and go Halibut fishing and you could show us your masterpiece. I know Biebs would like to rate your gun and write a nice article about it.
Oh just for the record I am not a from TEXAS only live close to it.
Do you know the best thing that ever came out of Texas???

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ROUTE 66
Larry

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
You're coming up with Beibs? Eeker

I don't know if this state could handle the two of you at once!

I'm about 10 minutes from the airport.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Mike

I love the way you incorporated Art Alphin's idea on stock design to reduce felt recoil.

Particularly the thick, clubby butt stock.

A free box of Lion loads should be awarded.

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YEP
We are hunting in two different areas.
But we should be about done the same time.
We want to go to Homer and fish with a guy we know Peter Karwowski Magic Waters Charters.
Halibut here we come.
Larry

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, I thought that you were the one Beibs was going to use for bear bait..

jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike
Thats why I am not telling Biebs where I will be.
Larry

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If I didn't already live here I wouldn't even tell him I was on this hemisphere.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote: