Find
Notify
Tools

30 cal. double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear DD

Name calling will not get the deal done any faster than it's going. Are you on commission
or just hyper? Thanks for the encouragement.

beer

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Commission, no. Hyper, very possibly. Did not think that asking if you were a voyour was name calling. If it came out that way, I appologize. I have known Ken for several years. When he says this is his last one and has upgraded wood, he is not BS'ing. I do know a good deal when I see one and was trying to help you out. Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lilguy,
Have you considered the Browning Continental O/U in 30-06 or 270 Win.? If you can find one, the price is usually under $5,000 and may have an extra 20 ga. barrel set. There are other European made O/U double rifles that are quite inexpensive.

Remington imports the Russian Baikal double rifle. You must regulate the barrels yourself with jack screws. I tried one out at the range using my own handloads and decided against buying it due to regulation difficulty and marginal quality. On the other hand, you get what you pay for. Not sure if Remington imports the 30-06 model.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the great little 9.3x74R, they are the least expensive and they kill very well indeed. In fact many of my clients over the years have used it on Buffalo without complaint. Its a great deer and elk rifle in the thick stuff.

Also when all is said and done it will be the most economical choice, with the best resale value..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Great to see the Chapuis sold. A real player bought it. Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered the o/u Beretta rifles? I noticed two listed on Guns International. One was a .30/06 and the other a 9.3x74R. Both have double triggers and quarter ribs.

The Brownings are said to be good shooters, but if you wanted to add a scope at some point it would be costly due to the lack of a quarter rib.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guy starts the thread asking for advice on .30 caliber doubles and gets beat up for not buying a 9.3. Sheesh.

I'm with Mr. Bradshaw on this. Edouard Foa got tremendous service from his .303 double in the 1890s.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, the only .30 cal (.308) double rifle cartridges offered without custom work are in .30-06 and 30R Blaser.

The starter of this thread wanted a .30 cal for $7000-$8000 max. Unless you choose those two cartridges, or make a deal with Bailey Bradshaw, a new double in another caliber will not be available for under $11,000. Inform me if In am wrong.

My favorite caliber in .30 would be the .300 H&H Flanged, but we cannot find anyone other than custom who is willing to build this cartridge; it is deemed to be too close to 9.3x74R or harder to find brass/ammo for.

So for $7000, settle for the Merkel or Chauis in .30-06 or 9.3x74R. Neither will do you wrong.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:

So for $7000, settle for the Merkel or Chauis in .30-06 or 9.3x74R. Neither will do you wrong.

Mike

So for $7000, $5000 to $5400 for those last two.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Guy starts the thread asking for advice on .30 caliber doubles and gets beat up for not buying a 9.3. Sheesh.

Hello Mr. Bill. You may "Sheesh" as much as you want. Fact is Lilguy asked for advice. "Ask and ye shall receive". The conversation morphed into the 9.3 of which I am a big fan. I was not beating up Lilguy, just attempting to help him out. Mr. Bill, I am openminded, please correct and educate me as necessary.

Thanks

Deo Vindice,

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the little Chapuis round body rifles in 30-30? At just over 6 pounds they would be sweet for anything smaller than elk and with the Hornady flex tip bullets they shoot fairly well out to 200 yds. They run $5,000 or just under.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Don: No offense meant. It just seemed we went from .308 to .366 so very quickly.
Bob: I was thinking there was a .30-30 double out there somewhere, although I'd much prefer Foa's .303.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much as a 303 is always nice, the OP's opening post / comment
"I have taken WT with 30-06 and it will suffice on hogs. I have no experience with the 375 H+H. Both calibers are thousands less than the 40 Nitros in a top quality gun and ammo is easier to digest financially."

So "ammo is easier to digest financially" doesn't exactly put 303 in the picture.

30.06 doubles sem to be a bit hard to come by.

375 H+H ? Well if you are going to look at 375 H+H, you might as well look at 9.3x74R which is Rimmed, also has wide range of bullet weights and downloaded with 232gns bullets, is only a little bit more than 30.06, ammo easier to find and definitely easier to find for reloading.

And, best of all, the 9.3 is readily available in DR's for well less than $7000 as has been shown.

And that's without going to a Baikal or Remington which I personally don't think
is a good idea.

Just my HO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
..by the end of this thread Lilguy will get advised to get a vierling.. 2 barrels in .700Nitro + 2 barrels in 4bore ,a wheelbarrel + painkillers. Keep on talking, I am heading for Africa tomorrow..its what its all about anyway Wink

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
..by the end of this thread Lilguy will get advised to get a vierling.. 2 barrels in .700Nitro + 2 barrels in 4bore ,a wheelbarrel + painkillers. Keep on talking, I am heading for Africa tomorrow..its what its all about anyway Wink

tu2

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote