New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a little guidance form my more experienced brethren. Todd Williams, Mike Jines etal. I have embarked into the world of the DR. I am currently shooting a Merkel 500NE while I wait for my VC NE to arrive.

Now to my issues. The front trigger on the Merkel sucks. It has a creep and a click before it goes off. The second trigger is crisp and clean. Hence my front barrel accuracy is not so good. I am practicing exclusively offhand for eles. Is it ok to shoot back trigger first?

Also so far I am just not very good with the damn thin. I had JJ put a Doctor Optic on it and that helped...some.

Any pointers?

Best Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would hope that your first ele shot would be off sticks unless it is VERY close.But, I am not an expert. Have you tried shooting off sticks? I don't see any problems shooting the left barrel first, but I would suggest getting the front trigger looked at.
Just my 2 cents.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting with CMS and we won't likely use sticks as we will likely move in for a proper distance on our ele. I like sticks don't get me wrong.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
It is absolutely ok to shoot your back trigger first. I use this technique with all of my doubles, and it precludes "strumming" ie your finger sliding back from front to back and inadvertently firing / pulling the rear trigger after the first barrel (front trigger) is fired. There are some very experienced and knowledgeable contributors to this forum who consider pulling the back trigger first "double rifle heresy", but it is the way Butch Searcy taught me how to shoot a double rifle when I bought my first .470NE from him 8 years ago. I have shot this way ever since and have never had one of my rifles double inadvertently.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've shot rear trigger first for 25+ years. Works for me.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot double trigger shotguns and have no trouble going back and forth. So I will work with that on this gun. Thank you for the input gentlemen.

Also the recoil really knocks me we off for second shots. other than a mercury piston in the stock is there any other way to manage the barrel jump?

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted two ele with CMS in 2012 and took both with a .475 No. 2 Wilkes. One at 12 yards and one at 15 yards. You walk up on them in the thicker stuff. If you are shooting at distances longer than 40 yards you may want a bolt gun with sticks unless you practice often. Just my 2 cents.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana Bunduki:
I have shot double trigger shotguns and have no trouble going back and forth. So I will work with that on this gun. Thank you for the input gentlemen.

Also the recoil really knocks me we off for second shots. other than a mercury piston in the stock is there any other way to manage the barrel jump?

Jeff

There is less felt recoil from firing the barrel closest to your body. For a right handed shooter, pulling the rear trigger first will fire the left barrel, so your felt recoil is a bit less. Other suggestions are hang on to the forend much more tightly than for a double shotgun. If the rifle is really kicking the snot out of you, your length of pull may be too short. This could be easily mitigated by having a thicker recoil pad or spacer installed.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:

Jeff

There is less felt recoil from firing the barrel closest to your body. For a right handed shooter, pulling the rear trigger first will fire the left barrel, so your felt recoil is a bit less. Other suggestions are hang on to the forend much more tightly than for a double shotgun. If the rifle is really kicking the snot out of you, your length of pull may be too short. This could be easily mitigated by having a thicker recoil pad or spacer installed.

More good info. Thanks.

Dutch,

I am working on it. I have seven weeks to go and have been shooting. If I don't feel 100% confident at 25 yards off hand I will use the old bolt gun.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
If the rifle is really kicking the snot out of you, your length of pull may be too short. This could be easily mitigated by having a thicker recoil pad or spacer installed.

I don't have near the experience of others in this thread but from attending double shoots and being able to shoot other's doubles I have learned that the fit of the stock, both length, and drop mean everything in felt recoil. Weight of the gun matters as well.

Hopefully when your VC arrives you will find if fits and feels much better than the Merkel.

I have "banjo'd the triggers as the Admiral has mentioned. I did it during my Ele hunt with Buzz, but not the first two shots.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

Lots of good advice already.

My thoughts:

1. If you are more comfortable shooting the rear trigger first, go for it. The important thing is for the movement from the rear trigger to the front trigger to become instinctive. It is shocking the number of people that continue to pull the trigger on the fired barrel without shifting to the other trigger.

2. Relatedly, practice, practice, practice. I would make it a point to shoot every week if you can. You do not have to shoot twenty rounds, maybe just shoot eight or ten rounds some weeks but practice. It will make the trigger move instinctive, get you accustomed to the recoil, familiarize you with the sight picture, etc.

3. Practice at modest distances. There is nothing more frustrating that shooting all over the paper at 50 or 100 yards and then walking away with your confidence shattered. Practice at 25-40 yards. I promise if you get proficient at that distance when you move out a bit the confidence that you built will show and your shooting at distance will be improved.

4. If irons do not work, go with the red dot. I shoot a helluva lot better with red dot than irons, but I like iron sights.

5. Practice on and off sticks. I know you will shoot off sticks likely with CMS. But at the range you will shoot better, build confidence and get accustomed to the rifle shooting off of sticks. Do not rest the barrel or forearm on the sticks, rest your forearm on the yoke of the sticks. I really believe if your confidence is good, your shooting is better. If your range allows, take some balloons to shoot off hand. Rather than shoot at a target off hand and get irritated with flyers, blow up six balloons and put them out and shoot off hand at the balloons . . . that way you can practice reloading too. Clay targets works as well, but I like balloons because they are are little bigger. Big Grin

If all else fails, you may have to just arrange to fly George down for several personalized lessons . . . that should be incentive enough to practice. Eeker

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A poor fitting less powerful cartridge rifle will put me off far more thn a well fitting .500, .450 etc.

Proved this again last Saturday shooting doubles and lrge bolt rifles (and a single 400) with some friends. All commented on poor performace and greater recoil efffect with the poorly fitting rifles.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Jeff,

Lots of good advice already.

My thoughts:

1. If you are more comfortable shooting the rear trigger first, go for it. The important thing is for the movement from the rear trigger to the front trigger to become instinctive. It is shocking the number of people that continue to pull the trigger on the fired barrel without shifting to the other trigger.

2. Relatedly, practice, practice, practice. I would make it a point to shoot every week if you can. You do not have to shoot twenty rounds, maybe just shoot eight or ten rounds some weeks but practice. It will make the trigger move instinctive, get you accustomed to the recoil, familiarize you with the sight picture, etc.

3. Practice at modest distances. There is nothing more frustrating that shooting all over the paper at 50 or 100 yards and then walking away with your confidence shattered. Practice at 25-40 yards. I promise if you get proficient at that distance when you move out a bit the confidence that you built will show and your shooting at distance will be improved.

4. If irons do not work, go with the red dot. I shoot a helluva lot better with red dot than irons, but I like iron sights.

5. Practice on and off sticks. I know you will shoot off sticks likely with CMS. But at the range you will shoot better, build confidence and get accustomed to the rifle shooting off of sticks. Do not rest the barrel or forearm on the sticks, rest your forearm on the yoke of the sticks. I really believe if your confidence is good, your shooting is better. If your range allows, take some balloons to shoot off hand. Rather than shoot at a target off hand and get irritated with flyers, blow up six balloons and put them out and shoot off hand at the balloons . . . that way you can practice reloading too. Clay targets works as well, but I like balloons because they are are little bigger. Big Grin

If all else fails, you may have to just arrange to fly George down for several personalized lessons . . . that should be incentive enough to practice. Eeker

Can't say it much better than what Mike already said Jeff. I hope you have a great hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I consider myself an ok rifleman and am just trying to shorten the learning curve. I will keep the shootaway option in my hip pocket for now.

Best

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I bought several sets of snap caps and practiced shooting by dry firing, even going as far as wearing my binoculars and shooting belt.

It helped develop muscle memory to pull the second trigger and to reload proficiently.

Last year I did not practice much and it showed. Come to think about it I should be practicing now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I am in the same situation like you. No real experience with doubles and an eye sight challenge. Discussing with Jerome he adviced to put on the Doctor Optic from VC in St Etienne. I followed his advice and feel confident that the mount etc prepared from Jerome is the thing. In addition Nick from Australia told me that the front sight could be changed from brass to a red fiber. Jerome sent me a couple of that and in the sun this almost appear as the Doctor Optic. I have not tried this in real hunting situation yet, but testing in the range was positive. Then you have both options giving a " red dot ".

Morten

Ps

Rich as PH this time too ?

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
I don't have any issue's shooting back trigger or left barrel first. I shoot my 600 this way as I've had a DD and wasn't pretty!!

Try holding the forend and stock real tight,and pull it into your shoulder.

Also put 2/3rds of your weight on your front/ leading foot, as they teach you for trap shooting clay targets. This should help your recovery for 2nd shot and muzzle rise.

As Morten said , maybe you aren't seeing the front bead clearly, the doctor optics are a great aid, I personally prefer the fibre optic front sight From recknagel that change out with the VC front sight set-up.not sure of the Merkel though?

Mikes comments of shooting at "real ELe distance" also makes a lot of sense. Of all my ele I've shot , the longest was 20m down to 9m, average being 15. Forget the sticks, plug away at 15,20 and 25m offhand,
This replicates what you will experience in Dande with CMS.

I am thinking that the Merkel just doesn't fit you well, maybe length of pull problem? Thicker pachmayer pad could help , or spacers.

Best of luck on your hunt, stick with the double!!!!

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of thoughts to add..
When ever you are at the range or practicing at home with dummy rounds all ways work from your ammo belt. Get a shot timer you can get an app for your phone and practice loading with it it will put additional pressure on you to perform, start slow and build from there.
If you are looking a fiber optic front sights don't rule out green or yellow they are my preference over red.
Have you made any effort to get the front trigger fixed?

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Suggestion:

A) Send the gun out and have the triggers adjusted. I respectfully totally disagree with the rear trigger first guys.
B) Compare the stock dimensions with the dimensions (I assume Jerome took) of your V-C being built. Easy to have a thicker pad added and if drop at comb, drop at heel and/or cast is an issue (which I doubt), send it to Glenn Baker at Woodcock Hill. He can perform all of the above in a timely manner.

Good luck!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

My VC is in country now and on it's way to JJ to be checked over and to be fitted with a Doctor Optic. Until it's in my hands I will continue to work with the Merkel.

I REALLY appreciate all of the sound advice I have received here. This site is the best.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
I did send my K gun back to Kreighoff to have the front sight replaced with a fiber optic sight. I also have a scope on it. But I find the fiber optic is really fast to pick up when using open sights. Bear in mind you might have to change the rear sight if you replace the front sight.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are ever in Mtl let me know and I might have time to give you a free lesson.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
If you are ever in Mtl let me know and I might have time to give you a free lesson.

Perfect!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell us about your new VC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
Tell us about your new VC

Once it's in hand. It is currently on the way to JJ to have the triggers adjusted and a Doctor Optic placed on it. It is a plain jane 500 NE splinter fore grip with ejectors.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrel length?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff :

Don't worry about the muzzle rising. You won't notice it in hunting situations.

Only 6 weeks!

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys. I consider myself an ok rifleman and am just trying to shorten the learning curve. I will keep the shootaway option in my hip pocket for now.

Best

Jeff

Jeff,

Get four snap caps as well and practice reloading from your belt both at home and the range. It helps ingrain the movement to the second trigger, whether the front or rear is your first choice.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Train as you will fight; do not change your trigger sequence if you already are mentally trained to do it front first. It doesn't matter which one you pull first as long as you train consistently.
I have seen guys in the field, after firing, stop and look for the brass, just like they do at the range, when they should be reloading and looking at the game animal. Because they trained to do that, their brain can't change under pressure.
Train as you fight.
Get the trigger fixed.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE:

Shot over 20 rounds this weekend and shot much better. Sot a few rounds off the sticks. Easy and the rest off hand. Starting to get the hang of it. Need to use a glove on my left hand when the barrel heats up. shooting off the sticks is cake. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well done, always nice to see progress . . . Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
+1 If Mike Jines says it you can take it to the bank!

There is nothing wrong with shooting the back trigger first if that is the only way you can avoid a strumming double discharge, or if something is amiss with the front trigger. However learning a proper hold on the rifle will both mitigate felt recoil, banging the middle finger by the trigger guard and the strumming of the back trigger when firing front trigger first.

Many old timers carried their double with a soft in the right barrel, and a solid in the left barrel, so they could choose which bullet was needed quickly. This was done mostly when hunting buffalo, and when hunting elephant both barrels were usually loaded with solids so trigger selection was simply by the shooter's choice.

I normally pull the front trigger first, and I have only strummed a double discharge twice in all the years I've been shooting double rifles. I do shoot the back trigger first on occasion but my instinct is front trigger first.

In your case I would have someone look into the trigger problem, fix the problem, and practice which ever way YOU want to shoot your rifle, so that it becomes natural to YOU!
................................................................... tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote