THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What optics for a Merkel Double?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What optics for a Merkel Double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My Merkel 140AE has a little steel dove-tail block screwed on above and between the chambers which forms the rear part of the rib. I believe it is supposed to be the rear part of a scope mount. Does anyone know of a red-dot or holo-type sight with a mount that will attach either onto that block or in place of it?

Thanks for any help,

Hugh

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Search in here under "red dot"

Here is a link also:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...301084551#4301084551

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
If the question is "what optics for a Merkel", how about you skip the scope entirely and just use your eyes?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What calibre is your Merkel?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a 450/400 3"NE.

Dave; I did use my eyes...that's how I found that little block.

Hugh

Posts: 106 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Krieghoff with a similar block. I had my gunsmith get a thick 6" long Weaver "gunsmith blank" and fit it. Cost me about $150 and worked like a charm. I put a Leupold 2.5 scope on it but a red dot would work also. I would think some of the picatinny blanks could be made to fit or talk to Gary at Talley to see if he can suggest a one piece that will work.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a 450/400 I would consider a Docter Optic for a red dot, or for a scope a S&B 1to4x, or a Swarovski 1.5 to 6x. With illumimated reticle and QD mounts of course.

This makes a 450/400 double a great hunting rifle, especially for longer shots at cape buff and for the cats as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input guys. I measured the little block. It is 1.218" long by 0.580" wide, with a hole near each end that take M4x0.7 screws.

I am thinking that I could find a suitable Weaver base and cut to length, drill matching holes and put it in place of the existing block. There are lots of red-dot sights that fit on Weaver bases, but most of them seem to be non-QD.

Hugh

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello,

The Burris Fastfire mount, that also works on the Docter Red dot is QD, it has a knurled knob with coin slot.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nitro, I will look into that.

Hugh

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hughman:
Thanks for your input guys. I measured the little block. It is 1.218" long by 0.580" wide, with a hole near each end that take M4x0.7 screws.

I am thinking that I could find a suitable Weaver base and cut to length, drill matching holes and put it in place of the existing block. There are lots of red-dot sights that fit on Weaver bases, but most of them seem to be non-QD.

Hugh

Ck La Rue Tactical for a variety of QD mounts for several red dot or scope configurations.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several burris fast fires , while i like them . the dot adjustment is not the easiest. I feel they are built well butif i were gong to place a dot sight on a double ( i am strongly considering due to the aging eyes can clearly see the leaf outline) I would only buy a Trijicon RMR . Its adjustments are more user friendly weighs in the same ballpark as the fastfire2 amd has mounts that will fit 14-16mm and 18-20mm rail without requiring a picatinny cross slot. Another concideration is the leupold delta . both of these have qd mounts. If you want look at weaver mount that are 2 piece , one could just use one of the 2 piece mounts drilled correctly for the holes , or brownells carries gunsmithing weaver or picatinny rails that you cut to your desired length and drill and counter bore for given screws. This way you can cut to the length of given red dot and it will look more prfessional!

DRSS
B.Searcy 470 NE Stainless/extractors
B.Searcy 470 NE Blue/coin ejectors
J. winkler 375 h&h OU
j.winkler cape 20g/6mm rem
F Sodia cape 16g/8x57 jrs

Posts: 72 | Location: independence ,mo | Registered: 06 July 2011Reply With Quote