New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3X74R VS .375NE Flanged
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am thinking that I “NEED†a light double at some time in the future.

I've got a .470NE and am thinking that a .375 Flanged would be a neat little companion rifle.

However when I start looking for brass for the little .375 Flanged my mouth gets dry and palms get a bit sweaty. It seems to be a rare and expensive commodity!

So that leaves me with the obvious common sense choice of a 9.3X 74R. Having never played with either I was wonder what your general opinions and thoughts are concerning either one or the other or both rounds?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Chapius 9.3 should be here by the end of the month...

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Chapuis 9,3x74R. Is fitted a 1.5-6x42 Schmidt&Bender scope and extra 20 gauge bbls.

I have been able to acquire some RWS brass that I like better than the old Norma brass (weighing abt 200 gr per case). The new Norma brass appears to weigh about the same as the RWS. Good brass seems to last reasonably well.

My rifle shoots 286 gr Noslers and Woodleighs fine as well as 270 gr Speers quite well. Have killed pigs and whitetails with them. The Speers are good only for paper and soda bottles ;>Wink

However ... I've not been able to get the same velocity as I do with 9,3x62 in a bolt rifle. It is about 100 fps slower.

If you want the rifle for DG ... the 9,3x74R is not likely to make the energy requirements if other than .375 is allowed. I'd recommend a larger caliber.

Other than that, I find a .470 DR and a 9,3x74R make a wonderful battery allowing a very wide range of game to be taken with ease.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Thanks for your post.

Do you know if anybody besides Bertram is making .375 Flanged brass?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to

google... www.custombrassandbullets

Horneber (spelling) they list it..

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I not sure why that link does not work...but it worked when I did it on google

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this corrected link:

http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bertram, Hornerber,kynoch list 375 Flanged mag brass.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Bertram, Hornerber,kynoch list 375 Flanged mag brass.

I bought good brass from Huntington's and it was labeled HDS. Some are over 8 loads and only trimmed, no failures

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .375 Flanged Magnum has been a headache for 50 years. If you want one I'd suggest that you buy your brass once (say 500 rounds), so that you don't have to worry about that issue again.

Kynoch's brass is made by Horneber, Bertram, and others. I'm pretty sure their .375 Flanged Magnum brass is Horneber.

Both are good rounds. Since you have a heavier double and won't need this one for DG, I'd probably pick the 9.3.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never seen 375 Flanged ammo or brass anywhere, ever. A fella can buy 9.3x74R off the shelf at Cabelas. If you get a 9.3 make sure it's regulated for the 286 grain bullet; I've heard of at least one Merkel that came regulated for 250 grain ammunition (?!!). How about keeping it simple and buying a double chambered for the regular 375 H&H?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all some good information/resources here.

Nordseta,

I've thought about the .375H&H in a double but I really prefer a flanged cartridge in a double rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the Chapuis the 9.3 weighs less than does the .375. For me that was the deciding factor.

DRSS
NRA Life Member
VDD-GNA

Posts: 326 | Location: Cheyenne area WY USA | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd get the 9.3x74mm as quality ammunition is readily availible just about anywhere in this world.

Cheers,

Rich

one of us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike
The 375 Flanged is a hbigh dollar operation from the start. The rifle and ammo is very expensive.

I have used a 9,3x74R Chapuis on a lot of game in the US, Canada, and Africa, including cape Buff and a cow elephant.

For a medium bore double I can recommend the 9,3x74R with out reservation.
Usually 9,3 doubles are about half the cost of 375 H&H doubles or say the Krieghoff in 375 Flanged.

With 286 grain Woodleigh Solids, and 286 gr Woodleigh Softs you are ready for any game animal on the Planet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with NE 450 on this (again), My Krieghoff has a set of 9.3x74R barrels regulated for the Norma 286 Oryx bullet. I recently scoped it with the Kahles 1.5-6 (30mm) and shooting VERY well at 100 yards.

I'm interested in trying it at longer ranges and experimenting with Swift 250 gr A Frame bullets (MY go to round for my 9.3x62 bolt rifle).

My hunting experience with it is limited to MN deer. I shot 2 does when they lined up in front of me at about 95 yards with Norma Alaska bullets (286 gr) that passed cleanly through both. No sense in wasting ammo on basically a culling hunt!!

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike
I would also highly recommend you have your 9,3x74R scoped.
I have taken game to 300 yards with mine.

Something in the 1-4 or 1.5-6 with an illuminated reticle is perfect.
On mine I have a Swarovski 1.5-6x42 with the circle dot illuminated reticle.
For me it is a perfect set up.
I like that scope so well I have 3 of them.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
If I left for Africa today, the two rifles that would go in the Tuff-pak would be a pair of Merkels! A 140-2 470NE Safari, and a 140E 9.3X74R! with this two double battery one can take on what ever comes around the tree trunk, with the proper bullets! Nothing else is needed for anyplace in the world for hunting small, to big game! I agree with others here who reccomend scopeing the 9.3 double with a low powered illuminated reticle scope. This makes the little 9.3 double into a very versatile hunting rifle, and perfect for LEOPARD/LION over bait! Addtionally if it happens to be what is in your hands when you spot a 45" Cape Buffalo, then go for it, with the proper loads, it will ring his bell! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the GREAT info guys! I've sure been eyeing one of those Chapuis 9.3's they look to be a fantastic value.

I had my sweaty little palms on an absolutely gorgeous little .375 Flanged the other day. My vision started to cloud over and I was having thoughts of second mortgages and such. When my wife came over and destroyed my fantasy with a strong slap from the reality stick.

The rifle was a very trim gorgeous little H&H. Neatly engraved and it couldn't have weighed more than 8lbs. Thin wasted, splinter fore end, covered in rose & scroll, dark wood with unbelievable character etc, etc.

The only problem is I've got less equity in my house than the asking price for that little gem!

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Having had a nice little WR SXS .375 Flanged, and currently having a double 9.3x74-R, I much prefer the .375. Better variety of bullets (though that may not matter much unless you are an adept "regulator" of loads), legal for DG just about everywhere, nice ambiance. And if one isn't going to spend the money in this lifetime for a double he really prefers, when?

Either will do, though.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both rounds are ballisically equal. Where the 9.3x74R would shine is the weight factor. Most 9.3's are built on petite frames and weigh from 7-7.75 lbs., as the 375 flanged is going to weigh 8.5-9.5 lbs. So basically the recoil factor is going to be about the same. After carrying your 470 for a while the 9.3 would feel like a youth model gun. I totally agree with the rest of the replies on the brass issue on the 375. For your information, Merkel makes the 9.3x74R, and it comes with an adjustable regulating block so you can regulate whatever bullet you want to use, I personally like the 300 grain swifts. The drawback of the Merkle to say a Chapuis is that the Merkle comes with a 21.6 inch barrels and the Chapuis comes with 24 inch barrels, that's a plus personally for me.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
9.3X74R only way to go!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
Both rounds are ballisically equal. Where the 9.3x74R would shine is the weight factor. Most 9.3's are built on petite frames and weigh from 7-7.5 lbs., as the 375 flanged is going to weigh 8.5-9.5 lbs. So basically the recoil factor is going to be about the same. After carrying your 470 for a while the 9.3 would feel like a youth model gun. I totally agree with the rest of the replies on the brass issue on the 375. For your information, Merkel makes the 9.3x74R, and it comes with an adjustable regulating block so you can regulate whatever bullet you want to use, I personally like the 300 grain swifts.

DIRK, I have a Merkel 9.3x74R mod 140E S/S double rifle, and it weighs 8.3 pounds, and there is no adjustable regulation on the 9.3X74R S/S doubles. This is restricted to the smaller chamberings, like 30-06!

My rifle isn't very old, and unless they have changed since I bought mine,and they very well could have, but their web-site doesn't show it, the barrels are permently regulated. The only S/S double rifle I know of chambered for 9.3X74R that is adjustable if the Blazer, and the only one I know of that is as light as you say is the Chapuis! Maybe, I'm behind! Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, I have had an older model in the Merkel and it weighed 7.25lbs. and was not adjustable. Just talked with Danny at GSI yesterday and the new ones are adjustable and he weighed a rifle while I was on the phone and it weighed 7 lbs.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
9.3X74R only way to go!

Rusty,
I respectfully have to disagree.

I agree that the 9.3 is more widely distributed through out the world.
I agree .375 Fl. mag. brass and loaded is harder to come by and has been, but it is available.
To the hand loader that wants to use "his ammo"
worldwide distribution is inmaterial.
Yes, a .375 Fl. Mag. may cost more and are harder to find. However, it seems to me that is one thinks they can afford to hunt Africa and I like it as well as anybody, then in most cases the price difference isn't a major issue.
I am from the "old school" and have to support the .375 Flanged Mag. as a better choice for Africa than the 9.3x74. If one wants to get technical about it I think there are some legal issues with the 9.3 in some countries for DG. I happen to think the 9.3s are being built too light, but that is a personnal opinion, not a technical issue. Heck, build it at 6# if you want and it will pass proof for the maker!
I have never used a 9.3x 74, saw one used by a Frenchman in CAR years ago. Unfortunately he had a problem finding the target with a bullet.
I have used the .375 Fl. mag a lot. I could never tell any difference between it and the belted on the game.
I am sure the 9.3 kills well, but I won't push the legal issue and stick with the bigger diameter if I want to hunt with a double in that power range again.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amusing how different attributes appeal to different people.

The Chapuis UGEX is the most bang for the buck in a new medium bore double rifle that I know of. Were it not for the weight, I'd have bought one for myself long ago. At 7.25 lbs in 9.3, they're 1.5 lbs too light, minimum.

I've handled a couple of the new 9.3 Merkels with the adjustable wedge. Both had 21" barrels, which I hope is not a new standard. IIRC, the fixed wedge guns were all 23.5", which was already too short. Same with the adjustable wedge - I wouldn't want one at all. Merkel seems to have forgotten that they're building doubles, not bolts.
------------------------------------------------

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
AH,
Owning an A. Hollis & Son, 450/400 3 inch, I think I qualify as an "Old School" kinda guy!

The only ones I have shot have been Mac's and NE 450#2's. I might suggest a search in the African forum for NE 450#2's report on his last hunt with his Chapius. I'm impressed!

Everyone ought to go spend their money on what they want to shoot. I'll go for the 9.3X74R.

The only detraction is the lack of 26" barrels on modern 93.X74R doubles! Just my opine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Some have and some don't. My FN-Browning CCS 25 o/u in 9,3x74R has 26" bbls.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Andre!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 375 Flanged Cogswell and Harrison dougle, a scoped 375H&H U/O, a 9.3x74R drilling and a 9.3x64 Brenneke bolt. I don't think you would ever tell the difference on game. The 9.3x74R and 375 Flanged are identical with my loads as are the 9.3x64 and 375H&H (the latter pair being about 100fps faster.

If you turn (on a lathe) the belt off a 375H&H case, in my rifle, there is enough rim left to headspace and extract. DO NOT TRY THIS at HOME unless you're really sure the modified cases are headspaing properly as chambers vary and the Flanged and Belted cases are quite a bit different.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some interesting data on these cartridges. CIP maximum average pressure for the 9.3X74R is 49,312 PSI and that for the .375 Flanged Magnum is 47,137 PSI. The 9.3 is a higher pressure cartridge than the .375, although the difference is not great. By comparison, the current CIP standard for the .470 is 39,160 PSI.

The CIP max average pressure for the .375 Belted Rimless Magnum is 62,362 PSI, which is slightly more than the CIP proof pressure for the 9.3. Aside from the extraction issue, the pressure makes it a poor choice for a double rifle.
------------------------------------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Afircan Hunter
I know you have a tremendous amount of experience with double rifles and African game.
However....
A 375 Flanged is a very expensive double, usually even more than a big bore. It is an excellent ctg no doubt.;
However a 9,3x74R is quite a bit more affordable, and I would submit every bit as effective on game as the 375 Flanged, or the H&H for that matter.

I have shot all manner of plains game and a giraffe, a big buff bull, and a cow elephant.
It has killed those animals as well, and actually on the giraffe and cape buff bull with less rounds fired than my 450 No2.

If a person can afford a British 375 Flanged, it will serve him well, but I have proven to myself that a 9,3x74R can do ANYTHING that can be done with a double under 40 cal.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am currently awaiting the delivery of a Butch Searcy classic double rifle in 450-400, 3" with an extra set of 375 Flanged Magnum barrels. The rifle is to weigh in at close to 9 lbs. Butch said that the barrels would not be different enough in weight to notice.
I ordered some brass directly from Horneber and the 375 Flanged Magnum brass was quite a bit cheaper than the 400.

Both barrels will be fitted for scopes and I have been saving a pair of 1.5-4.5 Swarovski 1" tube scopes for just this project. I have one with the 4A reticle for the 400 and the plex for the 375. I can hardly wait.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is a Gaucher 9,3x74R something "to look at"?
The seller want USD 3600,- for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shadob:
Is a Gaucher 9,3x74R something "to look at"?
The seller want USD 3600,- for it.

It could be a bargain or a dog.

bit more info would help.

SxS or O/U
Ejector or Extractor
English lines, German lines
Proof marks
Open sights or scoped ?
Dealer or Private, test target ?
Does it only have factory or any reloads with it ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SxS
Extractor
English lines, German lines?
Don`t know the difference – but the stock is “classic”.
Proof marks?
From the pictures – it looks good.
Open sights or scoped ?
Open – but ready for a scope
Dealer or Private, test target ? Private. He say that both barrels are within 3 inches at 100 yds
Does it only have factory or any reloads with it ? Only factory

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, worth looking at for sure.

If you can, hold it and test shoot it to make sure it fits and feels comfortable instead of a dead weight that "feels" heavy and unbalanced.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brass.... http://www.jamisoninternationa...roduct-p/ji375fm.htm

Price of the rifle depends on the mfg. The V-C in 375 FM costs no more the same gun in 9.3

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say bite the bullet for 100 cases and dies. After that, there's no difference, and you have the tradition of a British flanged caliber...worth it to me.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Yeah but the "cool factor" of the 375 Flanged is just light years away from that non-personality 9.3 Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote