9.3X74R VS .375NE Flanged
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
Brass.... http://www.jamisoninternationa...roduct-p/ji375fm.htm

Price of the rifle depends on the mfg. The V-C in 375 FM costs no more the same gun in 9.3

Hmmm,
Have 100 pieces of Norma brass, might have to get 100 of these "just in case". Eeker

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everybody and their brother-in-law has a 9.3X74. How many have a 375 Flanged?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
Everybody and their brother-in-law has a 9.3X74. How many have a 375 Flanged?

465H&H

Not many.

s it is a cartridge I really like, I notice if someone has one or a thread comes up. I am surprised at how few are out there.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Just think, you can blow out the shoulders of the 375 H&H Magnum Flanged and call it the 375 Weatherby Magnum Flanged!

NOT

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IF the 375 Flanged was a mainstream double rifle calibre, ie there were a lot ofr modern doubles made, and factory ammo and brass easialy avialable, it would be a great choice...

But sadly it is NOT.

It is a great cartridge, but there is a fair amount of $$$$ and Drama associated with it.
Which again is a pity, as it is a great cartridge...

However the 9,3x74R is widely avialable, affordable, and I will submit, for all practical purposes, as good in the field, as the 375 Flanged.
9,3 doubles are usually lighter, and slimmer as well.

Pick the one you like the best.

IMHO a 9,3 or a 375 double, paired with a 450/400 and up double is a Great choice for a lot of African hunting...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only reason the 9.3 x 74R is popular is because of Europe and from there it went world wide.

Before the 50's, it was the 375 Fl Mag.

BTW - What do you mean "but there is a fair amount of $$$$ and Drama associated with it."

Especially the DRAMA bit.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500N

I means that most of the 375 Flanged doubles are Thousands of dollars more than 9,3x74R doubles.
There are some new made doubles in 375 Flanged that are about the same price as the 9,s's but most of the 375Flanged doubles are on a bigger and thus more expensive frame that the 9,3's.

Also 375 Flanged brass is harder to find and more expensive.

As a side note I am currently doing load development and testing on a 375 H&H double rifle.

When I am done I will report my results and thoughts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 10+ years of owning a DR in 375 Fl Mag,
I have always been able to buy brass, be it Bell,
Bertram and now Jamieson.

What is the H&H Double ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a Chapuis.

I think I will be able to give it a most fair assesment as my 9,3 is also a Chapuis.

What 375 Flanged Magnum do you have?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see Nosler has added .375 Flanged to their line up of big bore cartridges. Both a 300grn momo solid and a Partition.

Must say I like mine. It is easy to reload for - very forgiving of minor changes in loads and I have a light load with the 235grn bullets for practice which regulates well and they work a treat on plainsgame.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

What 375 Flanged Magnum do you have?

Rigby Rising THIRD Bite sidelock made 1905ish
Rechambered BY Rigby in the 70's (one of only 2 they did in 375, all the others were 9.3x74R).

William Evans Boxlock.

Both with cases and accessories.

one of us
posted Hide Post
500N

I have handles a few Rigby Rising Bites in 350, and I have shot some medium bore William and Evans doubles.

No doubt those are some of the best ever made Medium bore doubles on the Planet.

And I will say that the big bore Rigby Rising bites, and big bore Evans guns are some of the greatest as well.

Does your Rigby have the pop up tang peep sight?

Back several years go when I was looking for a medium bore double, I ran across several very nice doubles... Problem was, they cost more than my British 450/400 and my 450 No2...

So I "settled" for my 9,3 Chapuis.

It has served me VERY WELL over the years.

A scoped medium bore double is one of the best hunting rifles on the Planet, IMHO of course.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, it doesn't have a peep.

Re the "A scoped medium bore double is one of the best hunting rifles on the Planet, IMHO of course."

Yes, I have one a ZOLI in 9.3 x 74R.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The problem is the 375 FM is going to have enough recoil in a 7 1/2 lb rifle that the boys will start squawking. Then that means you have to start building overweight 375's and then what is the point?

A 7 1/2 or 8 pound 375 would be nice but I doubt that is going to happen. Or the same in a 450/400.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Must say am for the .375 flanged.

Any day now Butch Searcy is going to call and tell me to come to Boron, CA and shoot the .375 H&H flanged magnum double on his Rigby Bissel rising bite action that he has been building since November last year. He's had to add to his CNC machinery to make the smaller action a .375 requires.

Have bought both old Kynoch .375 and new Kynamco .375 flanged 300 gr. cartridges, just to see where they shoot, but will actually use the handload that Butch regulates for. No problem with finding brass. Plan to use Swift A-frame softs and Woodleigh solids.

At some point the rifle will go to London or Birmingham for proof and stamps.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim

It sounds very nice.

You will enjoy it, I am sure.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hey Tim,

Let me know what you wind up for good loads with the Swift.

I've been working with various Barnes TSX and TTSX as well as Nosler Partitions. Will next be trying out the CEB #13 solids and non-cons. Not enough playing yet to determine what my Verney-Carron likes best but it seems to like everything pretty darn well.

A bit over 8 pounds and it is a real pleasure to shoot and handle.

Looking forward to pictures and a field report. I'm sure both will be exemplary. beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CCMD,

Will do the reporting and pix. Have a commission from Daniel Philip Cote to do a piece for The DGJ on the Searcy, but won't be back to Namibia until August of next year Frowner to give it a real work-out. Will do so interim posting here, 'tho.

Want to hear your results with the modern bullets, especially the CEB #13.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote