Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4831
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted
Just got a product notification from Midway USA they have IMR 4831 in stock!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive got 40 lbs of the old stuff, its clean and crisp from a 150 lb ss military bottle, its the stuff Jack O'Connor used, extreme good stuff, its down side is like any 4831 or 4350 it does not meter well and charges should be weighed..Id sell most of it..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ive got 40 lbs of the old stuff, its clean and crisp from a 150 lb ss military bottle, its the stuff Jack O'Connor used, extreme good stuff, its down side is like any 4831 or 4350 it does not meter well and charges should be weighed..Id sell most of it..

Ray, that's H4831 you have, and is the first ex military stuff that Bruce Hodgdon put on the market and it has a slower burn rate than IMR4831. Not so much an issue if interchanging powders with less than maximum loads but each should be worked up on their own merits.
I know in previous posts you say the burn rates are the same but I have used enough of the old original H4831, the replacement Scottish made H4831, the Aussie made H4831 and Dupont IMR 4831 to know that they are all slightly different in burn rates, Bruce's original powder and IMR4831 being at opposite ends of the burn rate range for all the 4831 powders. One shouldn't just swap from one to another especially if working around maximum loadings.

You may not think there is any difference but prudent reloaders should consult reloading manuals, burn rate charts and take care if interchanging powders.

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
eagle27
posted 21 March 2022 08:34
quote:

You may not think there is any difference but prudent reloaders should consult reloading manuals, burn rate charts and take care if interchanging powders.

Yep, definitely.
Like Eagle I've used quite a bit of both IMR4831 and H4831 ( AR2213sc ). H4831 is definitely a slower burn in calibres I have shot it, and presently shoot it, in. Of the two I'm convinced H4831 is better - cleaner burn, more consistent accuracy, doesn't arrive a peak pressure quite so suddenly and useable with a wider range of bullet weights. One of the things I really like about H4831 is in many instances you can stuff a case as full as you can with it and be pretty certain maximum pressures won't be exceeded. However, that's my experience and I'm not saying the usual careful working up of a load can be avoided. Think safety first !

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2021 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually its also known as 4350 Data...Jack O'Connor introduced me to it some 60 plus years ago..when discontinued it became the rage and was selling for up to $80 per pound...He loaded 63 grs of it in his 270 with WW brass, and 62 with Rem. I used it with the same load..Ive not been able to duplicate the velocity with even max loads, and tests by T Barnes showed it had less pressure and more velocity than our modern powders..Ive also read other articles in the past suporting these claims, so Ive never challanged them, just just used the load over the years in my 270 and 30-06..Ive stuffed most of the 4831s in WW cases and test fired them working up loads, and never esperienced any problems, except they have pushed the bullet out a tad overnight and got stuck in the magazine..Never experienced any such witchcraft with them..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote