Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
The "Final Tuning" as noted on their targets is done with a "Moto-Tool". Did anyone expect more at this price point? Apparently, it works part of the time and sometimes not, if it does what is the problem considering the price? If it works one has a workable double at bargain basement price.

And what about those poor sods who outlay the $$$ and it doesn't work.

It's a poor attitude as it shows they couldn't GAF and IMHO, they set
the standard low and then failed to achieve them.

Do it right the first time and they would have really stirred up the market
and not for the reasons most of these threads are about.

That's easy for aussies to say after raiding India and paying a tenth of a cent on the dollar for those old doubles.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19314 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:

That's easy for aussies to say after raiding India and paying a tenth of a cent on the dollar for those old doubles.

The Brit's and American's did as well so don't think you came out smelling of Roses Big Grin

In any case, the Poms off loaded all the Out of proof Shotguns and low end DR's
onto you lot at cheap prices so what are you complaining about Big Grin

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The Brit's and American's did as well so don't think you came out smelling of Roses Big Grin

In any case, the Poms off loaded all the Out of proof Shotguns and low end DR's
onto you lot at cheap prices so what are you complaining about Big Grin

I'm complaining 'cause I never got in on that deal. Dang it.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19314 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Will, don't worry, the only Single trigger gun was a WR that
never seemed to work and got sent to the UK. Big Grin

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
jtex: my apoligise if i offended you or any one else that was not my intent. just trying to make a point. my be4st

beer

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
<generalwar>
posted
quote:
quote:

Will, don't worry, the only Single trigger gun was a WR that
never seemed to work and got sent to the UK. Big Grin

Even worse try a 60's or 70's vintage single trigger Purdey! The Westley patent single selective trigger is a very well designed mechanism.

Thank God just about everyone started copying the Boss ST finally..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding the "Final Tuning On the Sabs test target. I have a .45/70 Deluxe grade that I bought through Andy at Cabelas. After the muzzle grinding regulation practice came to light I checked mine carefully and it hasn't been ground. (Thankfully!) My rifle shoots fine; 1 1/4" groups at 75 yds using Hornady 325 gn factory ammo and a standing rest. This is the ammo that the test target stated was used for regulation. So the Final Tuning isn't always related to muzzle grinding.

Out of curiosity, does anyone else out there have a Deluxe grade in .45/70? My rifle was supposedly one of a shipment of five that came on about October of 010. I've been very happy with it. It has the reinforced action with similar machine engraving and electroless silver finish as the African series. Also the same hard recoil pad!

I'm in the process of what I like to think of as "upgrading" the rifle now.
1) I've stripped the original finish and will do an oil finish when work is completed.
2) Shortening the buttstock slightly and installing a Pachmayer Old English decellerator.
3) Put a shadow line on the cheek piece.
4) Shortened the pistol grip 3/16" and replaced that length with a piece of ebony.
5) I inlet a "V" shaped piece of ebony on the forend tip as an escuchion for the forend release button. This was after removal of the ugly factory schnable.
6) I recut the checkering with a fine tooth tool (factory checkering was rough)
7) I ground down the washer and retaining screw that shows in the bottom of the forend and inlet a small ebony diamond flush to cover the metal.
8) I put a set of old english "ring style" sling swivels on in place of the factory items.
9) Inlet a silver initial plate into the toe of the stock.

Sorry for the long first post, but I thought this might be of interest to others who like to tinker with their toys!

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Nemo

With regard to the older vs newer guns being ground.
My 500 was serial CAB0278 or 6 the gun they offered to replace it with, also heavilly ground, was CAB038? so over a hundred guns later, unless the 2 and 3 in the serial number is a date code, or the whole Cabelas run is just sequential regardless of date ?

Who knows.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the important thing about this and the other SAB threads is that there is enough info out there now, to make a informed purchase. It not about us vs them. If you are buying in and are aware of the build pratices, its for you to decide if its a value. Its your money, no one here is judgeing how you spend it.

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro