New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got It!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I received my forst DR, the 470 Merkel. I went right to the range with it , cleaned barrel and fired 6 shots. First shot 2' low and 1' to left from my flinch. The other 5 in 5" at 25 yards. First time I fired something larger then 375 HH. It is going to take some getting used to on my part. Bought the heaviest Past recoil shield, shot 4 times with it. Then pulled out my old one and fired 2 with it. I will use the old one, not much difference.
Gun has plastic recoil pad. Will send it off next week and have a real recoil pad installed. I don't think it is going to be too fierce once I have the new pad installed, will parctice with Past on shoulder to start with.

Does anyone have a load they are using with 400 grain bullets, I bought 400 gr pistol bullets to start with. I need to work on my shooting. I need 400 gr. about 14-1500 fps to start then work up.
Thanks

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to GO! Put up some pic's if you can, show the action OPEN - rib extention etc. I am still trying to pick a rifle and caliber.

I'm in love with the .475 #2 Jeffery cartridge, hope to wind up with that caliber rifle as of this second.

I go back and forth from 500 NE to 470 NE to the Jeffery to the various .458 caliber's, it's maddening....!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
It's a great feeling pulling that trigger(s), ain't it?

It just makes you feel "alive!"

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your DR....they are fun shooting!! At least you did not bloody your trigger finger...

I was at a Gun Dealer looking at a couple of things today ...when the Dealer pulled out a new 500 Merkel and handed it to me...I looked at the barrel and it was stamped "GSI Trusville, Alabama"...first one I have seen stamped like this... about made me sick...I could not even hold it...that is a mistake for sure! Dealer said he would call GSI about my comments...I think I will as well...

Posts: 1999 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjs:
I was at a Gun Dealer looking at a couple of things today ...when the Dealer pulled out a new 500 Merkel and handed it to me...I looked at the barrel and it was stamped "GSI Trusville, Alabama"...first one I have seen stamped like this... about made me sick...I could not even hold it...that is a mistake for sure! Dealer said he would call GSI about my comments...I think I will as well...

If GSI is the importer, it has to have their name on it.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope...I have a 470 and it is not marked with GSI on it...possibly change in the regs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My bad...I just doubled checked...mine is marked but in very small letter such that you do not even notice it...the 500NE I saw today had it in very LARGE lettering such that it stuck out way too much

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the double -- I was a spectator on the auction and I am happy for you.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the double rifle! I'm going to try to pick one up before my cape buff trip in August '07.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote