THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Heavy double shooting techniques
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heavy double shooting techniques
 Login/Join

posted
can you experienced ones describe good techniques to employ for recoil mgmt and follow through, for the mgmt of the second shot?

how about stances? and if shooting from a kneel, is it better to have your lead knee down, and rear knee up to help manage recoil, or would you say it is more shooter preference? Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eagle 11,

Regarding recoil management with a big bore, Firm, consistant contact on the gun at all points. Firm grip with both firing hand and support hand, while pulling the rifle firmly into the shoulder.

Lean into the gun. You wont roll with the recoil but then you don't want to, you want to get back on the target as quickly as possible.

Kneeling: If you are right-handed the left knee should be forward and up. The shin should be perpendicular to the ground with the foot flat on the ground. The support hand and elbow should be under the gun. The firing hand elbow should be parallel to the ground to maintain the pocket in the shoulder for the butt. Sit back on the heel of the left foot.

If you shooting a bolt-gun remember to run the bolt with the butt in your shoulder.

Colonel Cooper's book The Art of the Rifle is an excellent resourse with superb photos illustrating the various positions and techniques.

Hope this was helpful.

Tom

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
This is how I do it when I shoot my .500 NE standing.

I'm right handed.

Legs shoulder width apart, with the left leg forward, the right leg back.

I pivot at my waist and lean forward a bit.

Gun up, left hand grips the fore end and barrels, the right hand has a firm grip onto the comb.

Left hand pulls the gun to my shoulder.

During recoil, I rock back at the waist to absorb recoil.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are new at this then I will emphasize the need to grip and hols onto the barrels.

If your not knew at this then you have already figured out that you need to hold onto the barrels.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote