THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Caveat Emptor re Russ Gould of doublegun hq
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caveat Emptor re Russ Gould of doublegun hq
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
I have done business with Russ, bought one rifle and some other items, and have had nothing but a good experience doing so.

That said, I think this is a simple case of mismanaged expectations and less than stellar service and complaint response.
Add to that the irretrievable import duty (33%!!!) and the deal is a loser coming and going.

My point is that if we all aired the mishaps, misrepresentation, poor communication, missed time estimates, poor work, damaged items, crappy packaging etc. etc. etc. of all of the sellers, dealers and smiths we have been worked with and vowed to never do business with them again, there would scarcely be anybody left to do business with!

+1

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Gould,

Somewhere in this brawl, mention was made of not having another option than using the customer's property to ship double rifles in. I would like to call your attention to this product, which I have used successfully for a number of years, with absolutely no complaints. In fact, rifles I have shipped out to be worked on have been returned in the same box, so I can testify personally as to their effectiveness. http://www.cameronpackaging.co...#StandardCustomRifle

By using the customer's property without his permission, you created a situation which can only be a loser for you. In so doing you saved perhaps $100 in costs and made a blot on your reputation which will probably never be erased.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't get what is the big deal.It's a used hard case isn't it? So he needed it to ship a couple of expensive rifles to a client before sending it away.Was this case damaged with just one shipment? I doubt it and if it was the client should have asked for a refund in full including brokerage fees.If the refund was refused or if he was reluctant to do so that would be another story.I do not agree with Russ if he believes that the brokerage fee was something that he should not reimburse if the case was damaged from shipping.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
George:
It is not a big deal and it would not have been an issue if Russ simply asked the buyer of the case. If I was asked, I would have agreed. Not being asked, however, is a underhanded slap in the face. Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
George:
It is not a big deal and it would not have been an issue if Russ simply asked the buyer of the case. If I was asked, I would have agreed. Not being asked, however, is a underhanded slap in the face. Cal

Yes but that is not the what is most important.
He send the case one way or another.What is important is the question of whether or not the case was received in the condition as described in the sale or as the buyer believed it would be.If not he should have asked for a refund as soon as possible.The condition of the case before it was sold should have been communicated well also who would pay brokerage fees should the buyer not be satisfied and choose to return the case.Was the buyer surprised that he had to pay an expensive brokerage fee? Did he think the case would be in better condition? Did he find a better deal afterwards and regret the purchase?
If the buyer was not given a good description of the case with many quality pictures then why buy the case?

one of us
posted Hide Post
10 years of posts about this lousy $300 case. Unbelievable.

Bet you that next time Russ gets s couple of U-line boxes.

Indy

Life is short. Hunt hard.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Maybe so.
Still unclear why this thread was resurrected after all that time.
Anyway, I sold three Oberndorf Mausers a couple years ago and the buyer had three of these shipping boxes sent to me to then send the guns to him.
I can attest to the fact that it was the smartest most secure method of shipping that I have ever used.
I was able to cut out not only the full length part for the rifle, but also a little spot for the bolt, a place for the scope (on one of them) and then a place for anything else like dies, brass, etc.
As a buyer, simply ordering the boxes shipped to the seller is complete peace of mind in the packaging department.
Not applicable in this case other than Russ, as a dealer, may consider utilizing these boxes and maybe splitting the cost with the buyer when he is shipping guns or just adding it into the shipping cost.
I think all dealers should use some version of these shipping boxes.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Russ Gould in SA. I can only say I had a good time and a good company with Mr.Gould.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indy:
10 years of posts about this lousy $300 case. Unbelievable.

Bet you that next time Russ gets s couple of U-line boxes.

Actually, it is just 2 years of posts, with a ten year gap.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing for sure, Russ disappeared quickly when it was pointed out his website contradicted what he was saying herein.

Posts: 12020 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Sadly double rifle posts are thin on ground at the moment...
Surely someone has photos or a report of a more pleasant nature???

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote