Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
INTJ: Great post and I've started a new one in the Aviation Forums in your "honor". It is interesting to see how my comments buttress what you say here regarding training. There is NO QUESTION the AF's approach to Training and overall philosophies are FAR more sophisticated that the Navy's. GO take a look, but again I'll try to get back on topic before more Mydol cocktails ensue from the peanut gallery Smiler

I've posted ad-nauseum about my Sabatti experiences, but here is a small recant: When I first got mine, I was in hog heaven. The rifle (my first double) met or exceeded ALL my expectations and with both Hornady and my reloads, regulated very well:

Then the bloom started coming off the rose, when another member (whose name I forget) told me to look at my bores. Yep, regulation by "dremel" but it continued to shoot well, until around round 200 then it started to go south:

Still "reasonable" and after speaking with JJ at Champlin where told me he had inspected one and they were VERY well built, I was all set to have it re-regulated, when something came loose inside between the barrels. That did it and I called the head Gun Library guy at Cabelas' and without hesitation, he refunded my money. Thankfully (and wisely), I used it as a down payment on my Verney-Carron and it was well worth the 2.5 times investment. Fast forward to about two years ago when I saw Sabatti at DSC and a friend of mine (against my recommendation on noth the gun and caliber, 9.3X74) he bought one for his upcoming trip to Africa. The rifle would not and did not regulate with Hornady ammo. See ya on the Aviation Forum Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
BTW, the ONLY US air-to-air combat loss from the Gulf War on was a USN F-18.

I was all set to be done and dusted with this playfulness, especially since it's a hijack, but a couple of comments are dragging me back in.

INTJ, what air to air combat loss of an FA-18 are you speaking of. I know of no such loss. Speicher was lost on the fist night due to an SA-2 over Bagdad. Dwyer, from my squadron and a very close friend, was lost in the Persian Gulf about 3 weeks in and suspected to be from an O2 malfunction causing hypoxia. I'm not aware of any other Hornet losses. I note that Wiki shows Speicher to have been lost to a Mig-25 but that's incorrect according to the other jets in his strike package. Wiki also shows Dwyer to have been shot down. That's incorrect as well. One day over a beer or two, I'll tell you more details of what we were able to discern about Dwyer's loss. I'll leave it for now that we found similar issues with other jets in our squadron and a couple of ground crew guys lost their qualifications.

Eleeton: I've dealt with good and bad officers, like anyone who served. I've also dealt with great enlisted personnel as well as dirtbags. My experience is those who paint with a negative broad brush often fit into the latter category.

As for SABATTI:

barf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
BTW, the ONLY US air-to-air combat loss from the Gulf War on was a USN F-18.

I was all set to be done and dusted with this playfulness, especially since it's a hijack, but a couple of comments are dragging me back in.

INTJ, what air to air combat loss of an FA-18 are you speaking of. I know of no such loss. Speicher was lost on the fist night due to an SA-2 over Bagdad. Dwyer, from my squadron and a very close friend, was lost in the Persian Gulf about 3 weeks in and suspected to be from an O2 malfunction causing hypoxia. I'm not aware of any other Hornet losses. I note that Wiki shows Speicher to have been lost to a Mig-25 but that's incorrect according to the other jets in his strike package. Wiki also shows Dwyer to have been shot down. That's incorrect as well. One day over a beer or two, I'll tell you more details of what we were able to discern about Dwyer's loss. I'll leave it for now that we found similar issues with other jets in our squadron and a couple of ground crew guys lost their qualifications.

Eleeton: I've dealt with good and bad officers, like anyone who served. I've also dealt with great enlisted personnel as well as dirtbags. My experience is those who paint with a negative broad brush often fit into the latter category.

As for SABATTI:

barf

Check out Jorge's thread in the Avition forum. Better place to discuss this stuff.

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Todd one of my good friends was Speicher's roommate and although the jury's still out, the Foxbat theory is very strong. Either way it's irrelevant to the discussion.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote