New
Find
Notify
Tools

Post Office Aggravation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I needed to get a payment item to Butch Searcy so I put it in an small package and sent it via Registered Mail.
Brought it to the Post Office 10 days ago.
It got logged in that morning.
It still has not been delivered.
Yesterday The PO said it was found on a shelf t LAX, but would be dlivered today.
Mail has already been delivered and the Searcy folks also visited the local PO, but no package was found.
This delay is really pissing me off after paying over $22 to deliver a 1 Lb envelope.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Registered mail is always slower. Why not just it in a regular envelope with a stamp?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats our government at work!

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your postal system is a lot slower now than it was even 2 years ago and over the last 6 - 8 months, it has become really slow.

Things sitting on shelves is an apt way of putting it - that's what I think happens to
some of the parcels I have posted.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Registered mail must be logged in and out through wherever it passes and must be locked in a separate secure area when awaiting transfer. This does slow the shipment but guarantees(?) a safe and confirmed delivery. It also includes insurance upwards of $25K if I recall correctly. I shipped my DR via Registered Mail, fully insured. You can track it using the registered number.

Priority mail is usually no faster than standard 1st Class but offers no weight limit on their free shipping boxes at specified prices.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must still pay for insurance with registered mail. But often times it is less to ship registered with high value items than it is with priority mail and insurance.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6610 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe is correct re: insurance with Registered Mail. Higher values at lower cost.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote