THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Lang 450/400 3 1/4 inch at Champlin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lang 450/400 3 1/4 inch at Champlin
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted

400 Nitro Express sent these to me. What a beauty!

Here is Champlin's discription
#14206, Joseph Lang & Son, 102 New Bond Street, London; A Deluxe Grade Boxlock Ejector in 450/400 3 1/4" Nitro Express with 26" Ejector Chopper Lump barrels with a Rib Extension Third Bite & with 1/4 rib with 1 standing & 2 folding rear sights, The left barrel marked "450/400 3 1/4" Case 60 Grs Cordite or Equivalent In Axite 400 Grain Nickel Bullet", Fold up night sight, Double triggers, Bushed strikers, A very long extended top strap that goes 3 1/8" past the point of the comb, Deep chiseled & carved fences, 14 3/4" L.O.P. over a 7/8" removable leather pad, 10 lbs. 7 oz., 85% coverage of fine rose & scroll engraving with very nicely carved acanthus leaves on the balls of the action. The 1/4 rib, grip cap and trigger guard tang is very nicely engraved. The gun was completely restored including a very professional restock in a totally proper style including cheekpiece and checkering, Engraved steel grip cap and the trigger guard tang extended to the grip cap. Overall the gun remains in 95-96% condition since totally redone. This gun was made as a Deluxe Grade by Joseph Lang and remains a very handsome piece. It is cased in a Deluxe Huey Oak & Leather trunk with oil bottles, turnscrews with a trade label. The bores are excellent but not quite excellent plus with square and solid rifling throat to muzzle. Then you can top this Deluxe Grade gun off knowing it was built around the best boxlock action body offered during the pre-1940 era, the Webley Long Bar. This is nice stuff here gang in a cartridge that is getter ever more difficult to get your Safari hands on. Joseph Lang was established in 1821(Married 1 of 4 of James Purdy's daughter's), Became Joseph Lang & Son in 1901 and remained as such until 1925 when the firm became Stephen Grant & Joseph Lang Ltd.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a treasure!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Looked on Champlin's for it and it looks like it's hasn't made it up there yet. Do you know what they're asking for it?

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure Champlin sold this rifle before they could get it up on the web, at least that's my understanding. I sent Rusty the photos because I thought it was exceptional.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post

Thanks! It certainly is a nice rifle.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I handled this rifle today [Monday}.
It looks even nicer in person than in the pictures.

It does not fit me as well as my 450 No2 or my 450/400, or as well as 400 Nitro's 450/400.

The cheek piece is a little bit too thick for my face, but it is a very nice rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote