THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Range session with my O/u DS in 9,3 x74 R
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range session with my O/u DS in 9,3 x74 R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi

Guys went to the range this weekend, -12 Celsius and some snow in the air.

However I managed to try out som loads in her, ie a Renato Menegon ie Renata.

For the full story go to :http://forum.robsoft.nu/viewtopic.php?p=397292#397292

And directly for you guys:

232 grains in the following order 2x2 O/u 3x O, 3x U at 55 yards or 50 meters, shooting ass down in the snow.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/Renatomenegon/IMAGE_00202.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/Renatomenegon/IMAGE_00201.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/Renatomenegon/IMAGE_00200.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/Renatomenegon/IMAGE_00199.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/Renatomenegon/IMAGE_00198.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/Renatomenegon/IMAGE_00197.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/Renatomenegon/IMAGE_00196.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/Renatomenegon/IMAGE_00195.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/Renatomenegon/IMAGE_00194.jpg

http://forum.robsoft.nu/album_personal.php?user_id=86

To watch all the pics, hopefully some one in here can help me judge if it´s "worth" getting new claw rings for here or if I should just use the irons sights..

PS I know that they should be shifted some Ds

/Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one?!

/C

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose the real question is the quality of your vision, and your shooting ability with iron sights.

As much as I like the idea of traditional iron sight usage, reality forces me to abandon that notion for serious hunting. Don't get me wrong, any animal with 50 - 75 yards is probably dead meat, but I just don't have the level of shot placement certainty that I need for comfort.

Some of the red dot scopes can be very small; they aren't really designed for 200 yard shots, but can be a better alternative than iron sights if your vision is mediocre or sensitive to contact lens rotation.

I'm hardly the expert, but I honestly think that a heavy scope ruins the balance of a double rifle. In this case, smaller is better assuming the results are serviceable.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't sure what you wanted Husqvarna, but for a 9.3x74R I would certainly put a scope on it. I have a Tikka 512SD which has QD mounts and a 1 - 4 scope, or something like that. I think you need that to make it a 100 yard gun (at least) and wring the most accuracy out of it. I am getting sub 2inch 4 shot groups at 100 yards from my rifle. That's under/upper, under/upper.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well i was kind of looking for all and any coments.

First should I consider here as an Italian made Ds to be regulated with the 232 grain loads, judging from the targets it sure seens like it.

Are my three 2x2 shots targets with the 232 grains load at 60 mm ie 2,2 inch, the 70 mm ie 2,8 inch and 35 mm ie 1.2 inch at 25 meter to be considered ok?

I like them to be..

Third should I get the claw mounts to have here scoped?

I think so but I still would like to hear other opionions and last what scope?

Best regards Chris.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My FN-Browning 9,3x74R O/U is exclusively used for drive hunting (roe, red deer, wild boars) where running shots are the norm. It carries a Swarovski 1,25x24 (circle dot battue reticle) in claw mounts. The rifle is regulated for the 286 Norma Alaska and I also handload 286/H4831 (with both, the bbls. shoot into one hole at 50 m).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
André your killing me here, hmm I do belive that I still have som load development to do.

By the way does that Ds of yours have two front claw mounts?

Best regards Chris.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
2 front + 2 rear claws.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That really is a Sweet rifle, André!

Nice pic to, I better get some more rounds together and hit the range again.

My "my" gunsmith is currently doing a search for what scope might have been on my rifle to see if we can get another scope like it.

Personaly I am sort of in to the S&B Zenith, but will se hove things work out.

Thanks again André.

I will be back with some pics of my own.

Best regards Chris

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Andre, can you show us or direct us to a picture of that reticle? It sounds good. Husqvarna, Good luck. Sounds like you are on the right track. I'm a little behind you in my learning curve. Have to get out to shoot a couple of times in the next week. Packy

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post

Actually invented by Patrick Collard, a Belgian stockmaker of my acquaintance, and later adopted by Swarovski, this reticle is very fast for running shots. The beauty of it is that different shooters will use the reticle or part of in a way that suits them best in terms of fast aiming. Some will go for the crosshair, others for the circle if not the central dot (as I do) but all will find it quick to pick up in a hurry.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre is right. Quickest reticle I've ever used and it makes running shots easier than you might imagine. The first trip I used my Swarovski 1.5-6x42mm it made 1 shot kills on a running warthog (and he was really going flat-out) at about 40 yards, a running zebra at about 100 yards, a running sable at about 200 yards (this was a 2nd shot on a sable who didn't know the 1st shot was fatal), and several running impala used for bait.

My favorite reticle!

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks like an efficient reticle. Now to get a more economical scope made with that reticle. Does premier still do Leupolds at all? There is not way I can afford Swaro scopes with this reticle. Sorry if this is highjacking. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes I would get a scope mounted. That group in image 196 is great. I don’t think you can be to disappointed with any of the groups based on the conditions you were shooting under.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, no I do belive that you are right, three holes touching is not something one would associate with open sights, so so triggger and a rather heavy cal as the 9,3x74R.

Even though the distance one was 50 meters.

To morrow i will be going out to the range bought a pack 20 of Norma 232 grains Oryx, factory fodder, yeeeeas was that stuff expensive, and 10 232 grains of my own handrolled stuff.

There will be an executive desicsion being made after that.

Perhaps a silly question in the tread, but still, ny rifle is apparently regulated with 232 grain ammo, as most italian rifles are, if I can get an decent say 3x3 inch target or smaller at 50 meters with 320 grain woodleighs would any or all of you guys have a designated short range round for the driven hunts and a standard for the rest?

I was sort of thinking at a driven hunt with wildboar, the first two shoots are fired 320 grain and if, i say if further shots are needed then use the standard load for follow ups!

Best regards/Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update.

Whent shooting on sunday, great weather here.

result 50 meters 16 rounds left target bottom barrel, right target top barrel.

All in all 16 rounds within 4 inches, I still have to get yet another front sight and maybe a new rear sight to.

The scope will be Khales CSX in 1.1-4x24 with lighted reticle and inner rail, downside a 6 weeks waiting period from factory.

The rounds were 286 grains homerolled to match Norma factory.

I also had some down time to let the Ds cool of shot 4 or 6 rnds at a time.

Shot my sako 308 with some new loads.

Best regards to you all, I will be back when i have more pics and story to tell.

/Chris

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
When measuring from the widest edges, you should sustract the bullet diameter to get center to center value. Your groups are actually 1,78 and 1,83 cm c/c. A faster way to measure C/C is to measure respectively from the outside edge to the inside edge of the 2 most distant holes.

André
DRSS
---------

5 shots are a group.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sort of know, however I just whanted to give to any and all a good understanding of the size of the target and my results.

That´s 19 mm ie 0,748 inches for 5 rounds of Sierra GK BT 165 grains, ie that will be my to go to load for this years hunting.

I am sort of proud of my 16 rounds within 4 inches with the DS, I am having trouble with the open sights and how to position the gold bead the same for every shot hence the two split group that I am getting.

I belive that with some more thweeking of that 286 grain load and som better bullets, the S&B have really thin jackets then I will have a Best load.

I currently have 286 grain oryx at home so that will be my go to bullet season to come.

Best regards Chris

/C

one of us
posted Hide Post
Christian, WOW! Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Packrattusnongratus....

I will have some more pics after next weekend, both targets and gun.

/C

posted Hide Post
Blijkbaar ben ik niet de enige Belg die hier kennis komt opdoen....sorry this was completely out of subject

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update

Been out to the Shooting range a few times, last time I tried a load that I was recommended and low and behold I believe that she is coming together.

I went out yesterday and tried the same load again.

2x2 with in one inch in height, perfect, horisontal 2 inch spread ie mostly driver error.

I am so happy to have find a regulation load.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a great load you have found.

A little tap to the rear sight and you will be right in the bullseye!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andre ... It doesn't get any better than that!

Christian ... Coming along nicely!

H M98 ... With a scope your going to be somewhere close to Andre's ballpark. With practice that makes a DR into a 200-300 yard rifle. Need or want that? Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The need for a 2-300 meter Ds could be questioned but I would seriously like to be able to just use the one rifle for most of my big game hunting and this might be the right way to that goal.

As we all know pratice makes perfect and I will start, as soon as she is scoped to shoot at least 20 rnds at 200 meters every range day.

Just recently we were reallowed to use the 300 meter course at my range and it will be well used I dare to say, if not with this Ds but with my Sako.

Even thought I don´t think that I ever will shoot at longer ranges than 170-80 meters at any vild game the knowledge and reassurance that I can will give me great konfidence.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update!

I have after some seriuos planning, thought and search found a scope in germany that would fit my Ds,the scope came in last friday.

It´s a Schmidt&Bender classic series 1,25-4x22 with a nr A2 reticle. This is the model prior to the Zenith line, cause when it ws released the straight tubes classic series was dropped.

As the "has to know" person that I am I jerryrigged the scope with surgical tape to the ds just to get a feel for balance, and eye relief and how it all came together.

I could be more satisfied, now all that remains is a trip to the gunmakers to fit the clawrings.

Best regards to you all/Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris, Nice looking O/U.

I would definately scope it with claw mounts.
Looks like it shoots very good.

A scoped 9,3x74R double is one of the best hunting rifles on the Planet.

Keep us posted on how she shoots after the scoep is fitted.

PS good choice of scope.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks on all comments, I must say that the choice of scope was done after some really heavy pondering. Smiler

I will return with more pics and targets.

Best regards Chris