Find
Notify
Tools

CEB BBW 13
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted
I just looked around CEB's website for the first time and here's dumb question #1

Under the Safari Solid for nitro express rifles they list a 480 grain .457. Is there a specific reason it's 457 and not 458?

Dumb question #2

My 450 3 1/4 Army Navy shoots the 480 grain .458 Woodleigh RN solids very nicely. Has anyone else had a double that shot those well and if so have you had any luck with the CEB's also shooting well? Did you need to re work the load to get it to regulate?

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just looked around CEB's website for the first time and here's dumb question #1

Under the Safari Solid for nitro express rifles they list a 480 grain .457. Is there a specific reason it's 457 and not 458?

Frostbit.....

Not a dumb ?? at all.... In the very early stages of development of the #13 Solids, Sam and I were working in several directions. Nose profile and Meplat size was already established. Bands were pretty much established as well, 3 top, 1 bottom. The 480 #13 was one of the first in line to be tested, and this was before Sam and I had done barrel strain tests, in .458 caliber. One of the guys with a 450 NE suggested that we drop a .001 just to be on the safe side, and we did, making the 480 at .457 instead of .458. After Sam and I did extensive work with the barrel strains in .458 caliber, then it was determined that like the North Forks, the #13s could remain full caliber. The Reduced bearing surface with the 4 bands kept barrel strains way down on its own, without having to resort to reduced diameters. From that point on, all the rest of the bullets remained full caliber. We tested for barrel strains at .458, .457, even having the 4 bands different diameters, for instance the top two at .457-.456 and the bottom two .458, and nothing made enough difference to be of any note at all. We even tried 2-3 bands, and there was little to make note of. In the end, the 480 was just left at .457, as .001 under made no real difference, not even in the bolt guns. All others went straight to .458.

As I recall, and we would have to check with Sam on this. Sam has a buddy that has a Army/Navy, and he shoots the 480 and used it on elephant as I recall with excellent results, but to be sure, have to check with Sam on this as I get confused with all the different models of this and that.....

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Frosbit: My VC shoots the Woodleigh softs and solids very well as well as the Safari Raptor (450gr) extremely well. The solids however while good enough for hunting, I was never able to get to shoot as well. I had great luck with the North Fork solids though. If you do a search here, you can see lmy targets and load data. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frostbit,

As Michael said early on in the developement of the BBW#13 there were many different designs and proto types. The first 450s were made for a 450 nitro gun that had .457 groove diameter and we knew there were a lot of old 450s out there with all kinds of groove diameters. This is why the 480 grain is .457 diameter.

Most doubles will regulate with the BBW#13s very easily with a load that works with conventional cup and core bullets. Because of the low bearing surface of the BBW#13s you may need to add more powder to fine tune your loads. The reason is your pressures will be lower and velocities might also be lower with the #13. Another advantage of the #13 design is that the Non Cons or now called Raptors being of a lower weight but the same bullet as the solid they tend to shoot into the same place as solids. Also we have found that because the CEB #13s all have 4 bands of the same width for each caliber that you can shoot much lighter bullets than standard and still get really good regulation in most doubles. I now rarely shoot original weight bullets in my doubles. I have found that a lighter bullet going faster is more effective on game. Now I'm talking only about CEB Safari Solids and Safari Raptors here.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talked to the CEB guys today and they are sending me loading info for the 280gr solids and
Safari Raptors in .366 I bought at DSC. Customer service and willingness to help are top notch for this group. I am convinced I can make these work in my double and R8 and if the case will go to Mozambique later this year.

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
Sabatti "trash" Shooter
New R8 Blaser owner

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Frosty, I have a couple of b0xes of the non-con's and solids here if you wan to try them. Just replace them later on.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot CEB's 480s and 450s out of my 1905 Gibbs 450 3 1/4. 100grs of H4831sc for both puts everything in a nice group. Shot my Tuskless with the 480 CEB solid.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The wheel can only be reinvented a limited number of times. Next year something will come along touted to be even better.
Old bullets, old rifles, old cars, old watches, old furniture, old women---are fine with me.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
The wheel can only be reinvented a limited number of times. Next year something will come along touted to be even better.
Old bullets, old rifles, old cars, old watches, old furniture, old women---are fine with me.
Cal

Cal, when you travel to Africa on safari, do you go by slow boat, or by jet? Sometimes, new and improved really is better! I'd say bullets fit that description, especially the CEBs, but maybe not rifles!

sofa

By the way, those Woodleighs only "look" like the old Kynochs, but they aren't "built" like the old bullets! So they really are "new" bullets that just "look" old! Kind of like taking a new WR double rifle and handling it excessively, putting a few "character" marks on it including maybe a compression ding or two, letting the bluing wear a bit from sweat especially around the muzzles, etc. IE, looks "old" but really isn't! No amount of "looks" will make a 2013 model WR a "vintage" rifle! For that, it'll need a hundred years or so; and who knows what WR will be building then, if anything. Phasers and Plasma Rays perhaps!

Sorry pardner, couldn't resist on this one!

clap

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
No worries, Todd. It's all opinion. We agree on Blaser and Shootaway. That's all that matters!
cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
No worries, Todd. It's all opinion. We agree on Blaser and Shootaway. That's all that matters!
cal

Ain't that the truth! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my "trash" Sabatti and an R8 due any day now, does this mean you guys don't like me anymore? 2020

Larry Sellers
Sabatti "trash" Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
cal

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
With my "trash" Sabatti and an R8 due any day now, does this mean you guys don't like me anymore? 2020

Larry Sellers
Sabatti "trash" Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
cal

Larry,

You are teetering on the edge of acceptability!

wave

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
465 - You are probably right!! Guess I'll have to buy Todd and Cal a drink at DSC next year to kinda get back in the fold, huh? Wink

Larry Sellers
SCI(international) Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
465 - You are probably right!! Guess I'll have to buy Todd and Cal a drink at DSC next year to kinda get back in the fold, huh? Wink

Larry Sellers
SCI(international) Life Member
Sabatti 'trash' Shooter
R8 Blaser
DRSS

While your there, tip one or two for me!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote