Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy's Talley Base Rib.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted
Here is a close up on Butch Searcy's Talley Mount Base Rib.

Although I have little personal experiance with Talley mounts, my Gun Smith recommends them and I do have experiance with Blaser mounts which seem to work on the same system.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s unobtrusive and works great for me.

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Of the quick detach set ups, this one has got to be one of the quickest. Half a turn of both levers and slide it to the rear to remove, reverse to put it on. Simple, quick and perfect return to zero.

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I like that Alot!Next custom double will have that!(2 bore!)

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Not "traditional" in looks but like Mike said, it is very fast to switch from scope to irons.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like it.....wish I'd had mine set up like that now, dammit

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not to be argumentative but it is not as fast as you think. those cute little levers have to be darn tight to hold the scope on.

i can remove and replace a claw mounted scope before you can release both leavers and get the scope off.

it is better described as a 'DETACHABLE" scope mount suystem rather than a QUICK DETACHABLE SYSTEM.

after several shootings and putting the scope on and off let us know how it well returns to zero, ok

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I also don't think it is as fast as ether a claw mount or side swing mount but it is very practicle when you want to change or add another scope.
I have Tallys on bolt guns and a #1 and they work well. I would like to have a second scope on my .338 double that now wears a 6x42 Swarovski. I will have one instaled at some point but with the claw mounts on it it will cost quite a bit more than what ever a set of Tally rings cost not to mention shipping charges both ways to the gunmaker.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I will grant you that I do not have experience with every mounting system out there and was not making any relative statement beyond simply saying this system is fast and returns to zero. Are there faster systems, maybe, I do not know. That said not sure why you would need something faster than this system.

Mike

Posts: 21222 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Akshooter: How did you fix the Talley mount on the #1 ? A new quarter rib?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.talbot.us retreever has this system on a

bolt rifle, it's a sure thing to return to zero and is

really quite fast! I've no idea if it can be installed

on a DR and look good once installed.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The need for speed is irrelavant. Return to zero is the only important factor. And in the last 20 years I haven't had a problem with Talley Rings. Usually improper installation is the cause of problems. If you have a scenario that would require speed let me know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:
The need for speed is irrelavant. Return to zero is the only important factor. And in the last 20 years I haven't had a problem with Talley Rings. Usually improper installation is the cause of problems. If you have a scenario that would require speed let me know.

Your wife comes home while you have the new scope she did not know about mounted on your rifle.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I did leave myself open. I stand corrected.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe Smithson has a push button quick release that is on his website www.smithson-gunsmith.com and has it mounted on double rifles. Looks interesting

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correction on web site www.smithson-gunmaker.com

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
.338x74R
Yes custom 1/4 rib along with many other custom feachers.
If I were at home I would post a photo but it's very simeler to to the photo above.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ftondrus I've used this system for a couple of years on my Searcy double and it always returns to zero. It works great.

mjc

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Searcy has the same set up..I just havn't used them..I think you have to come out of the closet to use a scope on a double!! Its a gay thang! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Not a gay thing ... just a blind thing!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote