THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Advice for a handicapped hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for a handicapped hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Guys, I need some help.

I have mentioned here on AR that I have been struggling with some health issues. Here is what happened. In the spring of 2010, I thought I was in the best health of my life. I was working out and dieting to get my weight down and I had a safari in the back of my mind. However, throughout the spring, I had a nagging pain in my left leg. I got off the treadmill but it still didn't go away. Went to physical therapy which seemed to give me only temporary relief. So, after a nice motorcycle trip through Colorado with my nephew, I went to my orthopedic doctor to get it checked out. It was the day after my 62nd birthday. He took some X-rays of my leg and it turns out that I had a tumor on my left fibula. I remember this like it was yesterday. He put his hand on my shoulder and said "Dave, bone tumors are pretty common in young people but very rare in guys our age. This tumor has probably come from someplace else." He was right. A biopsy and CT scans at the Medical Center in Omaha confirmed that I had Stage IV metastatic renal cell carcinoma...kidney cancer. It had spread to my lungs in addition to the bone on my leg. In September 2010, I had my left kidney removed. Recovery took a long time.

When I came back home, they started radiation on my leg but the outlook was bleak. Fortunately, in my little town, we have a world class oncologist. He got me in a clinical trial of two drugs that are administered intervenously. However, they just made me too sick so I said no more. There comes a point when quality of life becomes more important than quantity. My doctor said "let's try one more thing." He put me on a pill called Votrient. It took a while to get the right dosage but this new drug which had only been on the market for a few months "resolved" all the tumors in my lungs.

There have been a bunch of bumps along the way. At one point my remaining kidney shut down for a time and I wound up in dialysis. I got sick last fall and wound up in the hospital. Despite the radiation on my leg, the tumor on my fibula came back and in March of this year they took it out. More radiation on the leg and then an infection which put me in the hospital for eight days and now on a wound vac. I gotta tell ya this gettin old just ain't for sissies. But the bottom line is that right now, as far as I know, I am tumor free. I am in remission but still fighting to get the surgical wound in my leg healed. I move pretty slow, can't walk very well, and I get tired pretty easily but that safari has popped back into my mind. You know what I'm talking about.

Now, to the point. I made the horrible mistake of sending that Ivan Carter/Heym video to my son. Now he is all pumped up about an Africa trip as well. I just want to do one thing. I want to shoot a cape buffalo with a double. I would like to bring one son along to shoot some plains game and my other son as an observer. I have a friend who hunted with a really great outfitter in South Africa and that would be the obvious choice but the trophy fees for a buffalo in South Africa are just out of sight. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to an outfitter who could meet my special needs at a somewhat more affordable price? Any help would be appreciated.

One more thing. I love you guys, even if you don't like my S2.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Sorry to hear about this but it sounds like you are making good progress.

There are plenty of good outfitters to help you with a buffalo hunt. I went with Mokore on my last one and would hunt with them again.

In the meantime, call Craig at the Nail Ranch outside Albany Texas and go shoot a pig with your S2. It's a lot cheaper and a hell of a lot of fun.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Dave, first let me wish you a speedy full recovery! tu2

I know a little about dealing with cancer myself so I feel for you, especially when it comes to being able to go Cape buffalo hunting with my doubles! CRYBABY

Hope you and your son can work something out that will fill the bill!

Don’t take the ribbing too seriously about your S-2! Any double rifle is better than no double! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Dave

PM sent

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Sorry to hear about your ailments. Doesn't sound like much fun at all to me. Prayers are sent and hopefully you will recover.
Rick

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Doc:

PM returned.

Pago:

What the heck do you mean "hopefully" I will recover. Don't you guys go getting all weepy eyed on me. I plan to live to 93 and die from a heart attach while have sex with a 35 year old redhead. Big Grin

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, Ron Howard will be older than 35 by then :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Doc:

PM returned.

Pago:

What the heck do you me "hopefully" I will recover. Don't you guys go getting all weepy eyed on me. I plan to live to 93 and die from a heart attach while have sex with a 35 year old redhead. Big Grin

Dave,

I don't know who to send you to for such a hunt. Nevertheless, if I could afford it (if I had Mitt's money), I would take you and your sons myself grata and be happy to be the photographer.

Life deals out some shit, and many blessing as well. It's how you deal with both that makes the measure of a man.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Dave, Ron Howard will be older than 35 by then :-)

yuck Damn you Biebs..... rotflmo

Thanks Mac and Mike. You guys are the greatest.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
:-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your health issues Dave. Best wishes for getting well soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give Graham Hingston an e-mail (graham@hhksafaris.com) and tell him your special needs. You can hunt a tuskless cow at Chete for around $6,000 or so. Cheeper than a buff. Also you won't have to walk as far as for buff. Chete is damn near 100% for tuskless.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
465H&H:

I looked at the website. Here is what is says:

"elephant tend to concentrate on the lake flood plains in search of the fertile panacum grass. The rugged terrain and huge undeveloped areas means that elephant hunters in Chete must be prepared to walk long distances."

This might not be the hunt for me.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not Africa, but you can do a whole lot of buffalo shooting in AU for less money. Trophy bulls are generally $2500, and cull cows are $250ea. I have already done the trophy thing a few years ago with Hunt Australia and have a bull that would be tough to better, so the last trip was a cull hunt to try out some guns and ammo. 20 buffalo and 3 pigs in 5 days of shooting and still had time for a 1/2 day of fishing.
It is fun to have the PH tell you to try and take all 4 on the left. On two occasions I had 4 buffalo with 4 shots as fast as I could shot and reload.
Dave, best wishes for your health.
Ken

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ken. That is an excellent idea as well. Do you have a link to their site?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntaust.com.au/home.html

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave- You coming to Dallas or SCI?

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Ken:

I am not sure yet. We are trying to plan a vacation for the whole family at Christmas, maybe Puntacana or a cruise. If that doesn't go, I am coming to SCI. I just got an e-mail off to Hunt Australia. That was an excellent suggestion but I can't fine their trophy fees and daily rates.

Ken, they mention on the Web site that you took a trophy scrub bull with your VC. Congrats!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
465H&H:

I looked at the website. Here is what is says:

"elephant tend to concentrate on the lake flood plains in search of the fertile panacum grass. The rugged terrain and huge undeveloped areas means that elephant hunters in Chete must be prepared to walk long distances."

This might not be the hunt for me.

Dave,

That is true for the eastern part of the Safari Area but not the western part where the main camp is located. PM me and I will give you my phone number and I will give you my experiences there. Believe me, that the easiest 8 elephants that I have shot have been there.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I got an e-mail off to them.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I have difficculty walking distance and have taken buffalo with a double in Zim. I have hunted with Gavin Rorke. He would have the trackers follow the buff then drive me as close as possible with the car and walk the rest of the way. It works, his website is www.gavinrorkesafaris.com

Good luck on making a full recovery.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Sorry to hear about your health issues but I believe that attitude is the key to damn near everything in life. Sounds to me like you have the right attitude and I am confident you will emerge on top.

Now to your question. Folks generally know that I rarely miss a chance to sing the praises of Buzz and Myles (CM Safaris). Let me tell you about two of Buzz's clients. Both are older and have trouble walking. One is a bit of a legend on here, Norbert Hansen of Super Penetrator bullet fame. The other is Ike Takumaro. Ike walks with a cane. Buzz has hunted elephant on multiple occasions with both. My point is that you can have a quality hunt with a quality outfitter despite a physical limitation if you book with the right person and hunt areas that can accommodate your physical limitations. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

[Norbert hunts with a Blaser in .458 Lott. Ike hunts with one in .416 Rem.]

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, Find Matt Graham's name in the Australian Forum and send him an email. Quite a few folks here have hunted Water Buff with him with DRs.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I agree with Mike above. Buzz and Myles will take care of you if you let them know what you can and can't do. I feel confident they will give you a great experience within whatever limitations you may have.

Get well soon my friend!

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Dave,
I applaud your attitude sir,the best to you tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave

Matt from Hunt Aust is very good and can organise a range of things for you to do taking into account your situation.

Depending on where you go in Aust you can use vehicles or Quad bikes to get around the majority of places and do the final hunt on foot.

their was a bloke over here who hunted Aust and Africa who was wheelchair bound - i saw him strapped to the back of a Land cruiser Tray top, the back of a truck and a few other things and he shot Lion and other animals.

So it can be done.

Good luck.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave
As a Blaser owner,we have to stick together. I can't believe you chewed ME out. Of course, you will beat this or will try like hell. I hunted with Clint Edwards of Chifuti Safaris last year after a motorcycle accident(6 weeks after 8 broken ribs, a punctured lung and a separated shoulder). I wasn't in shape to do a dangerous game hunt but Clint took very good care of me and was mindful of my physical capabilitis. He gave me an unforgettable hunt. If your head is in this, you will beat it. Keep your head up.
Rick

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave-
Looks like you have been given a lot of good options. The most important thing you can do is be 100% up front with what you can or can not do so there are no surprises latter.
Africa is wonderful, went this year and already booked for next. But AU has some advantages, it is remote, far more than any place I have hunted in Alaska or Africa. It is the dark side of the moon. Although you never mentioned your budget for this trip, you can shoot a lot more game for the money spent and I am sure you can work out a program for both of your sons to do some shooting.

Buffalo cows do not seem to be afraid of vehicles, but will start drifting away quickly if you are on foot. In some cases we "stalked" using the truck, only getting out for the last few yards. Now before anyone gets crazy about shooting from the truck, this was a cull hunt, not a trophy hunt. Nothing was shot from the truck, but on occasion I was not far from it. The goal was to try out a number of different bullets and cartridges in a limited amount of time on big animals. But with your bad leg this might work for your advantage.

Sam R. and Michael of CEB fame should be back from their trip to AU. They hunted with Paul T. (I have a brain cramp and can not remember his last name or company name) they might be able to also have some input.

You will probably not get a fast reply from a email right now as everyone is out hunting.

Now for full disclosure, I have hunted with Matt 2 times, and have sold both Matt and Paul a Verney-Carron rifle, but I also do not receive any compensation from them for mentioning their names.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the information Ken. I think my wife would prefer to go to Australia rather than to Africa. Talked with her about dropping her and my daughter-in-law off and letting them tour Australia while the boys went hunting.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
Sam R. and Michael of CEB fame should be back from their trip to AU. They hunted with Paul T. (I have a brain cramp and can not remember his last name or company name) they might be able to also have some input.

Ken

I think you are thinking of Paul Truccolo

www.southernsafaris.com.au/about.html

I have known him for years and he said on the phone he had bought one of your guns. He lives not far from me and although I don't know that much about his operation, I have heard he runs a good one. I do know he is a good hunter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul Truccolo...that is the name! Thanks
Ken

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think someone did a write up on AR of a very good hunt that was had with Paul.

I'll see if I can find it but might be worth a search.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A old post of mine from the first AU hunt.
http://forums.accuratereloadin...871078531#9871078531

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of hunts with Paul
that were written up by AR members.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...091094041#6091094041

http://forums.accuratereloadin...901001811#6901001811

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave I would recommend you contact Dale Des Fountain care of Brooklands Safaris.

I have done a 30 and a 35 day hunt with him and if you tell him what your desires and conditions are he will make sure you have a great hunt.

He us most always at the Dallas Safari Club Show and at SCI. If you comne to one of those shows I will introduce you to him personally.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I truly wish you the best and hope you have a great African hunting trip with your sons. Hang in there!

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goeie more...

Hang in there...you'll make it. Re your surgical wound...you might ask your physician about a course of hyperbaric therapy.

Eagle One

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote