Notify
Tools

Riddle Me This
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
Dear DR Abby,

For reasons that elude, and may even defy, explanation, I find that I have over 1,200 rounds of .470 Nitro Express caliber ammunition.

I have had this ammunition for years.

Please, don't ask. There were friends involved.

So, why, now, am I thinking that I need a .470 NE caliber double rifle?

Shouldn't I just sell the ammo?

Signed,

Truly Perplexed Mike

An ounce of experience is worth a pound of theory.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, simply because they're fun to shoot! Dragging mine to the range tomorrow.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ashamed to admit it, but I've found great deals on ammo before, then went out and bought a rifle to shoot it in. Don't try to make sense of this rifle-addiction thing :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Dear Truly Perplexed,

That is several lifetimes of ammunition for a .470 for most folks. I would sell 700 rounds and use the money to help offset the purchase of the Krieghoff two-barrel set (.470 and .30-06) that Chris is selling on consignment. Then I would start shooting the remaining 500 rounds.

Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Jines has an excellent ideal! 1200 rounds! Eeker I wished that second barrel set was a 12 ga vs the 30-06......;-)

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My luck would be that I bought a rifle and it wouldn't regulate with the 1200 rounds and I would have to reload or buy more.

Posts: 28 | Location: DFW | Registered: 03 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello Michael Robinson.

Since I just bought me a 470NE, I'd be interested in buying some of your 470NE ammo if you have extra.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2206 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dieselten:
My luck would be that I bought a rifle and it wouldn't regulate with the 1200 rounds and I would have to reload or buy more.

rotflmo

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one option will net you several thousand dollars.

the other will cost you several thousands of dollars.

I would utilize the proven coin-toss to make the decision, were it me. In front of at least three witnesses; none of whom own a DR.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Ashamed to admit it, but I've found great deals on ammo before, then went out and bought a rifle to shoot it in. Don't try to make sense of this rifle-addiction thing :-)

I bought a shotgun because I had a set of snap caps by the maker....

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr:
quote:

I bought a shotgun because I had a set of snap caps by the maker....

It is amazing the incredibly thin reed of logic that we need in order to rationalize buying a rifle or shotgun, building a custom rifle, etc. In the end it just shows that at our core we are simply sinners, not waiting for an opportunity to be led astray and sin, but affirmatively seeking opportunities to sin and to be led down the road to perdition.

Wink

Mike

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
A mate here in AK is looking to buy a .600 double because he has the dies.
Probably more common than one thinks it is or should be.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest that you hunt 1,200 elephants!

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is amazing the incredibly thin reed of logic that we need in order to rationalize buying a rifle or shotgun, building a custom rifle, etc. In the end it just shows that at our core we are simply sinners, not waiting for an opportunity to be led astray and sin, but affirmatively seeking opportunities to sin and to be led down the road to perdition.

Heavy, Mikey! Preacher go off on a tear last Sunday?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
quote:

Heavy, Mikey! Preacher go off on a tear last Sunday?

The preacher has given up on me . . . beyond redemption is I think how he referred to it. rotflmo

Mike

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Mike, so right. I think I need to go to confession.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 989 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
"Riddle Me This!" Big Grin

I have not seen this phrase in print, or said by anyone since I was about 10 yrs old, and I'm in my 80th year of life. That was a phrase My grandfather used occasionally till his death in 1983 when he was 96 yrs of age. It brings back some fond memories of my youth and my relationship with my Grandfather!
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Thank you for the memory! old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
A mate here in AK is looking to buy a .600 double because he has the dies.
Probably more common than one thinks it is or should be.
Cal

I've done this before. Not with a double, but with many, many other guns.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's nothing. I have found crappy deals on ammo and subsequently bought a rifle to shoot it in.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote