Find
Notify
Tools

RMR on Double and Recoil
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Ok guys, this question is for those of you who have attached an RMR or other type of Red Dot sight on your DR.

A few years back, I had JJ install a Trijicon RMR on both of my doubles.

Prior to installation of the RMR, I routinely took the 500NE to the range, shooting upwards of 40 full house rounds and never, not once, was bothered by the recoil. I shot it for the first time after the sight was installed, earlier this year at Karl Evan's big bore shoot. I noticed the recoil was much stiffer, primarily smacking me in the cheek bone. I shot 18 rounds that day before claiming enough. I chalked it up to lack of practice.

Yesterday, I took it to the range and fired 6 rounds total, finding that was about 4 too many. Today, the right side of my face feels like I was in a boxing match with Mike Tyson in his prime. On the 3rd shot, I saw stars afterwards.

In handling the rifle, I think I've found the issue. I believe the RMR is requiring me to place my face more over the top of the stock than with iron sights, hence the "smack" in the face with each trigger pull.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Of course, I may just be getting OLD! LOL

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Ok guys, this question is for those of you who have attached an RMR or other type of Red Dot sight on your DR.

A few years back, I had JJ install a Trijicon RMR on both of my doubles.

Prior to installation of the RMR, I routinely took the 500NE to the range, shooting upwards of 40 full house rounds and never, not once, was bothered by the recoil. I shot it for the first time after the sight was installed, earlier this year at Karl Evan's big bore shoot. I noticed the recoil was much stiffer, primarily smacking me in the cheek bone. I shot 18 rounds that day before claiming enough. I chalked it up to lack of practice.

Yesterday, I took it to the range and fired 6 rounds total, finding that was about 4 too many. Today, the right side of my face feels like I was in a boxing match with Mike Tyson in his prime. On the 3rd shot, I saw stars afterwards.

In handling the rifle, I think I've found the issue. I believe the RMR is requiring me to place my face more over the top of the stock than with iron sights, hence the "smack" in the face with each trigger pull.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Of course, I may just be getting OLD! LOL

Yep getting old is a bummer.

Slider should be able to answer your question he has just got his 500NE double fitted with a Trijicon RMR by JJ and fired it on target.

Hopefully you can get something worked out, maybe repositioning the RMR on the rib may help if it can be shifted?

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, not a double, but I put a Delta Point Pro on my CZ .505 Gibbs and have the same issue. I think you are spot on about being more on top of the stock.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2761 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Interesting Karl.

I know Lane and Jines have put red dots on their doubles. Maybe we can get them to chime in and see if this is common.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a doctor red dot on my 470 VC, no problem. If its mounted high and you have to raise your head off the stock, that could be a problem!

Posts: 2538 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Cheek weld is key. I always use a mouth piece when firing my 500.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine’s only a .470, and yes, the minor change in face position does make it feel like more recoil hitting my cheek.

Posts: 10633 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is really interesting. I have a Chapuis 450-400 that I was planning on using an RMR with. I may have to rethink that.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:

I was just in town for lunch. Stopped in at Academy Sports and bought a mouth guard for my next range trip.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:

I was just in town for lunch. Stopped in at Academy Sports and bought a mouth guard for my next range trip.

At the range, Todd in the blue corner and 500NE in the red Wink

Posts: 3858 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
LOL Eagle. Not quite that bad but yeah, something is different all of a sudden. Got 2 weeks to sort it out before leaving for Zim.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a leather cheek riser. It will get your cheek back in firm contact with the stock, so to speak. It sorted out the same problem for me.

Life's too short to hunt with ugly guns

Posts: 53 | Location: E. AL | Registered: 27 May 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I can sympathise with you from first hand experience when I took up clay target shooting many years ago. I had a nice AYA SxS 12 gauge as my field gun and had never had any issues due to fit and recoil but when starting out on the clays with this gun I got wacked hard in the cheek under recoil and by the end of a day shooting 100 or so clay birds was bruised and sore. Belonged to a club with monthly shoots so by the time the next shoot came around I was 'healed' ready for another bashing. The change that caused the pain was with DTL trap and skeet the gun was shouldered and head pulled down for a good cheek weld before calling for a bird. Hunting with the gun was more snap shooting with head relaxed and up a little looking at the bird.

I ended up taking out a good scollop of wood from the comb which cured the issue but the gun just didn't look the same and obviously was only a stop gap measure in terms of use as a clay target comp gun.
A new Miroku O/U single trigger sporter sorted it all out and never looked back.

From your postings and videos I know you range practice as you hunt so probably in the field your 500NE double will still kick up into your cheek.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OSA:
Get yourself a leather cheek riser. It will get your cheek back in firm contact with the stock, so to speak. It sorted out the same problem for me.

Not the problem, in fact, just the opposite. The dot appeared too high in the window causing me to have to press my cheek into the stock excessively, and getting my face over the stock to some extent.

So I took the rifle to the range again yesterday to get this sorted out. Paying close attention to my "mechanics" of shooting. I figured it out.

I started by firing offhand. No problem, as in the past. Then when shooting off sticks, WACK ... right on the cheek bone again. With a bit of investigating, it turns out I was indeed canting the rifle just a bit when on the sticks. When the rifle recoiled upwards, it had no place to go but into my face.

For whatever reason, on the sticks, holding them the way I've always done prior to installing the optic, I just couldn't see the red dot without really pressing my cheek into the stock. I was compensating by canting the rifle. So I worked on modifying my sticks technique and found a comfortable position that allowed me to hold the rifle without the cant. That fixed it.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Glad you got it sorted and wishing you the best for your Dande hunt next month. Look forward to photos and hopefully some good video.

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
When shotting my 500 I use a Past Recoil reducer. I started using a Mouth Guard after I had a Molar Crown Crack under recoil!!! My Dentist Hunts and he recommended the mouth Guard. It is much easier to consentrate on the shot using both.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote