THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What to look for, and quick!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to look for, and quick!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I got a lead on a mystery double rifle supposedly English and in a .400 caliber. Before I go to look at it, I need advice about what to look for in these areas:
Off face? I assume this means that the action when closed has significant play and is generally fatally unreparable.
BP vs. Nitro proofs?
Thanks for any help.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off the face means the gun is loose and light can be seen between the barrels and the action. It is more often than not repairable.

Ring the barrels by hanging them ny the hook on your finger and tapping gently at various places along each barrel with a brass key - the sound should be a sweet ring, not a dull thud. Dull sound means rib is loose and a few other possible things.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Forearm off, breech half opened feel for sideways movement. Little if any wanted.

Dark stains near the breech in the wood. Oil soaking.

BP is fun, Nitro's better

Condition,Condition, CONDITION

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Bill,

The proper way to buy a used double rifle is to negotiate to have the gun sent into JJ for an inspection as a condition of buying the gun if you like it.

If you don't know what you're doing you're liable to get burned.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Bill

You would be better off looking for someone who knows what to look for and taking him with you.

Most times Good Deals aren't necessarily good Deals in the End

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
Bill,

The proper way to buy a used double rifle is to negotiate to have the gun sent into JJ for an inspection as a condition of buying the gun if you like it.

If you don't know what you're doing you're liable to get burned.

+1 tu2

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guys, I'm going to follow up on this lead and trust my instincts, and all the things I have read. If I end up with the rifle, I will post in detail about it, and any issues.

– John Green, author