Find
Notify
Tools

577NE help
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Jerry, you can order directly from the CEB website: http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/.

They'll fix you right up in no time at all and you'll love the bullets!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the load info SROSE. I was only joking about selling the rifle.

I will just have to pay my dues like everybody else.The one advantage I have is access to people like you that have far more experience with double rifles than I do.That's a big help.

NN

Posts: 54 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,

Yes contact CEB directly as I am not part of that business. I don't sell bullets I just design and shoot them.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd and Sam, I have to give 'em a go, bout have all my Barnes solids shot up, and have read many good things about the BBW#13's

JM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NitroNut,
I woud get some Kynoch and shoot it over your cronograph. This will give you a target velosity it will also let you know if your rifle is shooting the refrenced ammo properley. Kynoch is loaded with Woodley bullets.
Just a note on your targets it is helpfull to mark your shots L1 R1 ect.for future referance.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill,

I'm going to keep searching for some Kynoch ammo, but will continue to plug away with some more load development in the meantime. I did mark the targets L and R...just not very well lol.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is some Kynoch new ammo in Guninternational under English ammo. $89 per box.

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting! Any recommendations for acquiring the best empty cases for reloading the 577NE? Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms had Jamison 577 brass for sale a while back. I bought enough to keep my guns running. This is about the only brass available in 577.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks srose for the heads up. I'll have to check and see how hard it is to get ammo from the U.S. to Canada.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leslie A. Paul - Gun & Rifle Maker is listed as the agent for Kynoch in Canada. You might try them. If they don’t have aney they may be able to order it from England easier than from US.
http://www.leslieapaul-gunmakers.com/home.html

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again Bill.
I'd already contacted Leslie Paul and he said he's not bringing any Kynoch ammo into Canada
due to all the regulatios, so that's out.
I got in contact with the fellow posted in
gunsinternational and he's going to get back to me once he knows if he can ship to me.So my fingers are crossed.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi All,

Just a quick update.I took the 577 out to the range last week. No bench , sticks or other rests...offhand only.
Started at 25M and the rounds were almost touching. Moved out to 50M and got a group of approx 3" which was about 1" better than what I got off the bench. Go figure!! I have 2 loads that look good now:

115 gr. RL15 and 144 gr. IMR4831 with the 750 grain bullet. Both are in the range of 2050fps. I will experiment with different size targets as I think the ones I'm using now are not getting the most out of the rifle.

So,I will load up another batch of the 2 above loads and see if I can shrink the groups a bit more.

BTW, I love shooting this rifle!! My only thought is if I can justify adding a 600NE to the collection cuckoo

Thanks again for all your help.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
edit,

Sorry, that should be 119gr. RL15

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
grandveneur,

Thank you for your input. Can you please advise how the max load of 140 gr. of IMR4831 was arrived at? Was this via pressure tests or some other method?

You’ll have to bear with me as I’m learning here.

In my rifle I get the following velocities

750gr. SN 119 gr. RL15+ filler approx. 2075 mv
144 gr. IMR4831 approx. 2025 mv

I used 2050 as a round figure in my post above.

According to pressure data I have,the above RL15 load comes in at under 13 tpsi (14 tpsi is listed as max.) with a mv of over 2100 fps ( we don’t know barrel length)
There are other references to the use of RL15 in the ratio of 1.19 x cordite charge as a good safe load.
Given that IMR4831 is a slower powder and that the velocity in my rifle is a fair bit lower than the RL15 load,am I not safe to assume it’s also under the max pressure limit?

Thanks,
NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...if I can justify adding a 600NE to the collection cuckoo

Thanks again for all your help.

NN

If you want a .600 and have the money that's all there is too it.
There is no practical justification for it though, you having the .577 NE.
In my opinion the caliber you have is superior to the .600 NE.

Best regards,
D'Fan

Posts: 40 | Location: Florida | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what happened to Grandveneur’s posts here...they seemed to have disappeared?

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D'Angelico Fan:
If you want a .600 and have the money that's all there is too it.
There is no practical justification for it though, you having the .577 NE.

Exactly ...

Except when it comes to double rifles the words "justifiction" and "need" among others have absolutely no place - as I've learned and was warned by the great unwashed of the DR world ...

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen...I have a problem. I find myself unable to concentrate at work.I can’t sleep or eat. I ignore my wife.
I stare at pictures of rifles with twin tubes like a crack addict.

OMG, I have DR disease!!

The only cure I can see is more double rifles!!
With that in mind, I foresee some “for sale” signs on some of my bolt guns. Who in their right mind wants to crank a bolt anyways.

This may end with me living in a box or my local dumpster...but what the heck as long as I have double rifle to fend off the other
bottle pickers,I’ll be OK.

Seriously, I’ve not had this much fun with a rifle in a long, long time.

BTW, very nice 577 you have CCMDoc. Are you sure you want to sell it?

NN

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroNut:
Gentlemen...I have a problem. I find myself unable to concentrate at work.I can’t sleep or eat. I ignore my wife.

OMG, I have DR disease!!

With that in mind, I foresee some “for sale” signs on some of my bolt guns. Who in their right mind wants to crank a bolt anyways.

This may end with me living in a box or my local dumpster...but what the heck as long as I have double rifle to fend off the other

NN

The list of folk who warned me is long indeed - but as you are, hooked I am.

In answer to your question, Hell no I am not sure I want to sell it. Part, if not most of me is hoping it won't sell.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In answer to your question, Hell no I am not sure I want to sell it. Part, if not most of me is hoping it won't sell.

I understand that sentiment exactly.

NN

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Originally posted by NitroNut:

OMG, I have DR disease!!

NN

The list of folk who warned me is long indeed - but as you are, hooked I am.

I understand everything in both of these posts 100%.

I am hooked on Double Rifles like a Whitney Houston was on Crack!! Cant do anything to get my mind off of them or Africa for that matter. Yep, I'm constantly assessing which yank and crank single tubers can hit the "For Sale" rack inorder to get another "Fix". Pretty soon, I'll start selling off the wife's TV, washing machines ... maybe even her car. She's a stay at home mom so I can give her a lift to where ever she needs to go ... right?

Hardest thing I ever did was to pack up my Merkel 500NE and send it to Ken. But, I do have the two VC's coming to replace it! dancing Still, I'm about half considering buying it back from him. Maybe it won't sell before DR insanity completely takes me over!

Do "Bolt Trash" feel the same about their guns or is there really something different between the two? Hell, I even hear that some don't care about the gun they hunt with. sofa