Find
Notify
Tools

577NE help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Gentlmen,

This is my first post after lurking on and off for many years.I've now jumped into the deep end of the pool and
purchased a VC 577NE. I've wanted a true stopper for many years and have always lusted after the 577.

First off,I'm really impressed with the rifle. Fit and finish are very nice. I think I'd have to spend a LOT more to get a nicer rife. The test target that came with it shows 2 rounds almost touching,shot with Kynoch ammo @ 50M.

First trip to the range started with the following:

117gr of RL15 - 5 grains dacron 750 Woodleigh SN Fed 215 vel. 2014 , 2062- R1 just above point of aim and slightly to the left,L1 just below point of aim and to the right about 4"

133 gr IMR4831 vel 1820 - same placement of bullets, but spread was apporx 3-1/2"

Nitro for black - 100gr. Varget 6 grain dacron 650gr Woodleigh - 2 rounds in the bull almost touching @ 50m
offhand ( we have a winner!!) velocity ? This was followed up with some quick left/right shots at 25M on my
2nd session, all clustered in the bull. Great fun!!

2nd trip to the range. I decided to limit full power rounds to about 10 or so at a time and selected IMR4831
for more testing.

135 gr vel. 1847 error
136 gr 1866 1865
137 gr 1878 error
138 gr 1878 1884

all vel. readings were taken approx 14' from the muzzle with a Chrony.

Target results: same a trip 1 - right barrel shoots slightly above and to the left of aiming point, Left barrel slightly low and to the right. Each individual barrel made 1 big ragged hole. barrels are about
3-1/2" apart.

Where do I go from here? Do I keep adding more more IMR4831 till the velocity gets higher? At this rate I should end up with about 143 - 145 grains (yikes)!! Switch back to RL15?

The individual barrels are scary accurate considering I'm a neewbie to this gun. I'm trying to get some
Kynoch ammo to check velocity etc, but as I live in Canada it's not going to be easy.

The other question I have is how do you guys trim your cases? I really don't want to send RCBS another $200.00
for a trim die if I don't have to.

Anyways , sorry for the long winded post. The rifle is beyond what I expected and it's a blast (pun intended) to shoot.

Note to self: If you want to remain low key at the range, don't bring a 577!!

Regards,
NN

Posts: 54 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...101056161#4101056161

I sprung for the RCBS trim die. I could not figure out another option. The die works great.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]577 target[/URL]577 test target

One of Us
posted Hide Post
577 test target

Thanks Mike, I'm trying to post my targets urrggggh.

I've used the RCBS trim die for my 416 Rigby and do agree it works well.

Thanks,
NN

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Nitro:I have a 1914 Wilkes .600 and shoot 160 grains of IMR 4831 to equal the original velocity. You can keep increasing the charge for your .577 with no problem. I would guess about 150 grains will equal a 100 grain cordite load--it does in the .600 but mine is regulated for the 110-grain cordite charge hence the 160 grains of IMR 4831.

Pressure is so low you will rarely need trimming, but a trim die is the most cost effective way to go. I use a Lyman case trimmer for 50 cal and smaller, a trim die for larger diameter but never had to trim the 8 and 4 bore cases.
Cheers and how about some pics?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NitroNut,

First thing throw that Dacron in the trash. Get you some 28 gauge fiber and nitro cards wads for filler. In the 577 you want your powder compressed. If you don't like fiber or card wads get you some 5/8" foam backer rod. Now I use RL-15 in my 577 and one 1/2" 28ga fiber wad over the powder. Use up to 122 grs of RL-15 behind a 750 grain bullet. My old VC577 loved 120 grs.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a trim die when I was using the .577. I might still have it. I'll look. Yes, they are pricey.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://s1260.photobucket.com/a...?albumview=slideshow

Thanks guys...I knew I came to the right place!!

I'm new to photobucket as well so I hope this works. The recoil pad is off as I have a bit of a rattle from
one of the mercury reducers and need to make a shim.

I will start increasing my charges ( I've been driving it like a granny), I just don't want to strain the rifle.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. Will try to take some better ones later.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NN, you don't really shoot that without a recoil pad, I assume? The VC is a great rifle, and the 577 is what a DR ought to be chambered in!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lol, No don't plan on trying it without the pad.

I have to say that I'm giddy like a "little school girl" when I go out to the range with it.
Is that wrong? haha

The only problem I see ( other than getting the barrels to shoot together) is that I'm going to get a bad case of double rifle syndrome.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just leave those heavy recoil reducers out of the stock and the gun will feel much better plus it won't slosh. You will not notice hardly any recoil difference. I hate it when they drill holes in a stock and weaken it for those awful weights.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I'm with Sam 100% on all counts. beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...I'll check that out.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
I had a trim die when I was using the .577. I might still have it. I'll look. Yes, they are pricey.

Yes, I have one. PM sent

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to update where things stand with the 577. I've worked up to 146 grains of IMR4831
for a velocity of 2055 (instrumental - so add maybe 20 fps). The spread between the right and left barrel remains the same at about 3.5" to 4". The vertical spread has narrowed and the overall placement of the group is lower on the target as indicated by the increased speed. After 14 full power rounds from the bench I decided to "call it a day".
Once again,the individual barrels are very accurate, I just need to get the horizontal spread taken care of.

I will now try RL-15 and see how that works.

Has anyone used H or IMR4350 in he 577?

I'm wondering if I may have to pick a load
and then get the barrels re-regulated if I can't decrease the spread.

NN

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
What load was the rifle regulated for from the factory?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They used Kynoch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey NN, my load submitted for your consideration, I also have a V/C 577 N.E. with 26" barrels.

Load for my rifle.

750 gr Barnes TSX 130 grs. H-4350....velocity 2053

750 gr Barnes Banded Solid 133 grs. H-4350....velocity 2055 fps.

These loads are extremely temp stable and accurate in my rifle and shoot dead on to the sights at 50 yards.

Off sticks with my left shoulder steadied against the posts on my reloading shed it will fire 2" groups, I cant shoot any iron sighted rifle any better off sticks.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

JM

Oh, and fillers are a PITA, and are not needed with this powder with these projectiles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Edited to add, these loads are put up in Jamison Brass, and use FED-215 primers, and with a very solid roll crimp.

JM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info Jerry. I'll add H4350
to my list.

Do you guys fire both barrels one after the other. My approach is to fire the right first
check chrono readings etc. and it may take a minute before I fire the left. I'm not sure if this could be part of the problem in that the heat is bending the other barrel...just a thought.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fire the right barrel first throughout load testing for that particular bullet, but leave the left barrel loaded with the solid and check the crimps holding ability.

And vise-versa for the other barrel.

JM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroNut:

My approach is to fire the right first
check chrono readings etc. and it may take a minute before I fire the left. I'm not sure if this could be part of the problem in that the heat is bending the other barrel...just a thought.

NN

This could be a problem, the gun is regulated right/left with 5 to 7 seconds between shots from cold barrels.
Some guns are sensitive to this and some are not.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think what I need to do is take a load I've tested already and fire a quick R/L and see if to closes the gap. The test target says 5 seconds between shots. As you can see by some of my questions,I'm on the steep side of the learing curve with these guns. I've had a fair bit of experience with large cal. bolts actions but only limited experience with doubles. My choice of a 577 of course does not help my cause,but with some patience and some burned powder I'll get there. Thanks for the replys it's good to have a site like this to use as a sounding board.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UHH-NN, and don't be firing that 577 under Canadian trees after a Heavy Snow. LOL

JM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haha...yes I'll keep that in mind.

I was hoping to make up a nice deer load for hunting season. Wink

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NitroNut:
Hello Gentlmen,

This is my first post after lurking on and off for many years.I've now jumped into the deep end of the pool and
purchased a VC 577NE. I've wanted a true stopper for many years and have always lusted after the 577.

First off,I'm really impressed with the rifle. Fit and finish are very nice. I think I'd have to spend a LOT more to get a nicer rife. The test target that came with it shows 2 rounds almost touching,shot with Kynoch ammo @ 50M.

First trip to the range started with the following:

117gr of RL15 - 5 grains dacron 750 Woodleigh SN Fed 215 vel. 2014 , 2062- R1 just above point of aim and slightly to the left,L1 just below point of aim and to the right about 4"

133 gr IMR4831 vel 1820 - same placement of bullets, but spread was apporx 3-1/2"

NN

I don´t know if I am missing something; but I understand that the rifle is CROSSING the shoots (right barrel to the left and left to the right), and as far as I know, you should LOWER the charge, isn´t it?

Best wishes

Antonio

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is crossing. The thing is that the IMR4831 load started at around 1800 fps and I worked up to 2050-2075
and there has been no change in spread. I would think that as velocity changes it would either get better or worse.I have Graeme Wright's book "Shooting the British double rifle" and he states that at low velocity you can get crossing as well. As the velocity increases the gun "can" shoot apart and then as it approaches regulating velocity it should begin to shoot together. Once you get over regulating velocity it "should" start shooting apart again.Lots of if,ands or buts as he states they can do strange things.My problem is that I have no access to Kynoch ammo at this time ,so I'm unable to see how it does with the ammo it was regulated for.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting from a bench are you holding the forend off the bags so gun can move? Try shooting offhand or off sticks. I often use a camera tripod to rest my forend hand on. If you are crossing with full power loads you need more movement from recoil to bring the barrels together. Sounds like you have gone up and down in velocity so this would be the next thing to try. My VC 500 cross fires if I go over the factory Kynoch velocity which is slow at about 1975.

Sam

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing in that I have the possible regulating velocity window covered and that I should try shooting offhand or off of sticks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry, forgot to mention that I only rest my hand on the front rest off the bench and support my right elbow
off a small sand bag.

BTW , I get plenty of movement off the bench haha.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try forgetting the sticks and bench, step back 15 to 20 yards, stand up and just trying shooting it as quickly as you can off hand.
Remember to not cant the barrels. If all is well then step back some more and do it again. Repeat as necessary.
Sticks, rests, benches sometimes cause more problems than they solve.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ] [/URL]

Thanks Kebco. The above target was fired offhand at 25 yards , more less point and shoot as fast as I could. This was with the 650 grain load. I think your on the right track as to shooting offhand. I really do hate the bench, but have been using it in this case to prevent me from putting a hole in my chrony.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty good to me. With some more range time to become familiar with the gun it will only get better.
Try to think about how you are holding the gun, looks to me you are canting just a touch

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, that short little session made me realize why people are addicted to double rifles.
It was a lot of fun!! I'll keep a careful eye on how I'm holding it.

Thanks again for the advise...I appreciate it.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lookin' good!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I would say those targets are looking pretty good as well. Especially taking into account you are new to doubles and this is a 577NE. You'll only get better from here.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.
I was getting my "for sale" ad ready.
Lightly used 577NE for sale.Only driven on Sundays by a little old lady going to church . Offers accepted.

LOL

I will put in my time and burn some more powder and try to inprove my skills.Otherwise I'm very
pleased with it.

NN

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Looks like I need to improve my spelling
skills as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NitroNut, Before you sell your 577 try 107 grs of RL-15 behind that 650 gr bullet. This load shot very well in my 577. It also worked good with the 750 gr for a lower recoiling practice load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to butt in but, srose, arent you one of the Gentlemen that is affiliated with the BBW bullets for Double Rifles?

If so could you PM me about a place to order, and if not, my apologies.

JM