New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was looking at an old double rifle in 475#2. It is refinished and the wood is very nice. My question for the experts here is: When assembled, I noticed a little looseness in the action. Is that something I should be concerned with? Is it something that can be easily repaired?

I appreciate your responses.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re loose, was their light able to be seen between the Water table and barrel flats or really only between the chambers and the front of the action ?

Concerned - maybe, depends on how loose it is.

Should it be repaired - yes, before firing (except maybe 4 shots if you are thinking of buying it and want to check if it shoots).

Easy to repair - depends on the gun but a good gunsmith like JJ should be able to do any of them.

Do you know what type of action it is ?
ie Greener cross bolt, Webley PHV 1 or Screw Grip ?????

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana91

Is it a Francotte(spellin?)I ask because I looked at a 475 No2 not too far from you.

If it is I bet it is the same rifle. Did you see the small screw in the leftside face of the action? I don't know if that is normal? And yes it had some play with the forearm off.

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, It is the Francotte for sale at Cabelas. I did not look for light visible in the action. When I locked it up you could feel the play in the action.

Nice rifle, but that play really concerns me.

Posts: 119 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, and that screw I mention concerned me, as I have never seen that. Please note, I am not an expert on Francotte.

It is an attractive rifle.

HBH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello, HBH:
The little screw you mention in the frontof the action fixes in it´s place a little engraved plug located behind the left barrel that covers the Greenr or Scott third fastener. My Francotte has the same screw in the same place.The 470 of the same maker belonging to 577Nitroexpress has the same screw, too. you can see it with a little care in this topic

http://forums.accuratereloadin...141021551#9141021551

I have not found photos of that rifle, but Frncotte made actions with a square third fastener (Scott fastener, very similar to the Greener)

Best regards

Antonio

one of us
posted Hide Post
herrdoktor,

Thank for the education! I have been wondering about that screw, and not being up on Francotte, I did not know what it's purpose.

Many Thanks

HBH