THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What animals have you taken with double rifles?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What animals have you taken with double rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cape buffalo
Elephant
Wildebeest
Warthog
A pile o ferral hogs
Coyotes
Jack rabbits
Turtles & frogs (major airtime with a .470)

All with one of my two Searcy .470's

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Game taken:

Whitetail and sika deer (a bunch!), bear, elk, turkey, fox, coyote, crow, elephant, lion, cape buffalo, kudu, sable, gemsbuck, waterbuck, springbuck, impala, hyena, zebra, warthog, black wildebeest, blue wildebeest.

Doubles used:

German Guild gun 9.3x72R
Walter Uhlig 8x60JR
Browning Centennial Continental .30-06
Browning Express .270
Browning Express 124 9.3x74R
Outschar .450 3 1/4" Nitro
Borovnik .375 H&H
Heym 88B 9.3x74R
Heym 88B .30-06
Heym 88B/SS .300 Win. Mag
Merkel 140-2 9.3x74R
Merkel 140-2 .500 Nitro
Verney-Carron .500 Nitro
Verney-Carron .577 Nitro
Cogswell&Harrison .375 2 1/2"
Midland .450 No.2
George Gibbs SLE .303
Joseph Lang .360 No.2
Charles Osbourne .450/.400 3 1/4"
Ad Jansen .450/.400 3 1/4"
Chapuis RGEX Series 3 6.5x57R
Holland & Holland .500 BPE
Holland & Holland .240 flanged
Westley Richards droplock .318 WR
Heym 37B 9.3x74R/9.3x74R/20 ga.
Schiwy 8x57JRS/8x57JRS/16 ga.
William Evans 12 bore Ball & Shot

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Lion only. 500NE

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9902 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elephant, buffalo and impala.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My eighteenth buffalo with my Merky .500NE is cooling in the fridge! In a few days, the cooking begins! tu2

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Elephant(2), Buffalo(2), Feral Hogs (12)

Evans 470
Holland Royal Paradox 12 bore
Holland Royal 500/450
Jeffery SLE 450/400
Jeffery 450/400
Evans 400/360 (2)
Lang 450 3 1/4 bpe

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Buff cows (2)
Zebra stallion
Warthogs

15yds ~ 50 yds

470 NE K gun Doctor Red Dot
Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
1 bobcat, 2 white tail deer.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One Red Deer hind 450 x 3 1/4" BPE

John
New Zealand DRSS
450 - 3 1/4" BPE
Burning Nitro

Posts: 47 | Location: Rotorua New Zealand | Registered: 01 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John HM:
One Red Deer hind 450 x 3 1/4" BPE

Cool!! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One Cape Buffalo with a Merkel 470 so far

Member NRA, NFA,CSSA,DSC,SCI,AFGA

Posts: 266 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 10 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ate my first dinner from that eighteenth buffalo I mentioned, and it was divine! Who says the big old boys that take a hammering to down can't be eaten? Let it cool for a week, then use the slow cooker! Bloody awesome!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One only so far. A small whitetail buck at 100 yards with an A&N 577 bpe.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With Royal grade H&H in 465/500
one bull elephant
With Mahillion 416 Rigby double
3 cape buffalo
2 Hippos
Male lion
With D'Schulnigg 470 double
one huge feral hog

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tsessebe
Hyena
Zebra
Kudu

All with a Krieghoff 375 H&H

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Just about everything that I’ve taken with any type rifle I’ve also taken with a double rifle of some chambering, over the last 55 years since I bought my first double rifle in 1958.

......................................................................... BOOM............ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Just about everything that I’ve taken with any type rifle I’ve also taken with a double rifle of some chambering, over the last 55 years since I bought my first double rifle in 1958.

......................................................................... BOOM............ holycow

Mac,

What was your first double and what did you pay for it? If you don't mind saying. Smiler

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:

Mac,

What was your first double and what did you pay for it? If you don't mind saying. Smiler

My first double rifle was a very unusual one for its maker!

It was an H&H double that was made for someone in Austria between the wars and chambered for 9.3X74R. It was cased with all the tools and containers that come in H&H fitted rifle cases. It was a side lock with a fair amount of rose and scroll engraving. It was in mint condition, and I bought it from a friend in El Paso, Texas who owned a gun store called FIREARMS INCORPARATED. He called me because he new I had always wanted a double rifle, and said on the phone I have something I know you will want but you need to act.

The rifle cost me $900 USD and I had to borrow the money from my dad to buy it. NOW, I suppose you want to know why this pristine H&H double rifle was so cheap!
Well in 1958 a Holland & Holland Royal sold new for $2464.oo USD plus import tax, and shipping. None the less $900 was hard to justify for a rifle that I couldn’t shoot!

Well in West Texas in 1958 there weren’t two people beside me who wanted a double rifle of any make, and also in 1958 there wasn’t a box of 9.3X74R ammo in the whole of the USA, and components were not available for hand-loading either.

First it was brought back from Germany as a war souvenir, by a guy who retired from the Army a Fort Bliss, Texas and stayed in El Paso, and he had no idea what it was chambered for, and told my friend, who bought it from him, that when he got it he thought it was a 410 shotgun and just shipped it home. It was years before I knew what I let go!

I never got to shoot it, and finally traded it to a collector for a 375H&H Mauser rifle with a square bridge action with a 4X scope in claw mounts and express sights and engraved with German oak & leaf engraving. I wish I still had both rifles!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Game taken:

Whitetail and sika deer (a bunch!), bear, elk, turkey, fox, coyote, crow, elephant, lion, cape buffalo, kudu, sable, gemsbuck, waterbuck, springbuck, impala, hyena, zebra, warthog, black wildebeest, blue wildebeest.

Doubles used:

German Guild gun 9.3x72R
Walter Uhlig 8x60JR
Browning Centennial Continental .30-06
Browning Express .270
Browning Express 124 9.3x74R
Outschar .450 3 1/4" Nitro
Borovnik .375 H&H
Heym 88B 9.3x74R
Heym 88B .30-06
Heym 88B/SS .300 Win. Mag
Merkel 140-2 9.3x74R
Merkel 140-2 .500 Nitro
Verney-Carron .500 Nitro
Verney-Carron .577 Nitro
Cogswell&Harrison .375 2 1/2"
Midland .450 No.2
George Gibbs SLE .303
Joseph Lang .360 No.2
Charles Osbourne .450/.400 3 1/4"
Ad Jansen .450/.400 3 1/4"
Chapuis RGEX Series 3 6.5x57R
Holland & Holland .500 BPE
Holland & Holland .240 flanged
Westley Richards droplock .318 WR
Heym 37B 9.3x74R/9.3x74R/20 ga.
Schiwy 8x57JRS/8x57JRS/16 ga.
William Evans 12 bore Ball & Shot

DoubleDon,

I thought I had an addictive personality. Man, you need to get some counseling for your double rifle addiction. Congrats on having the privilege to own and shoot so many fine doubles. Impressive!!!!

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Thanks for that.

Your story kind of reminds me of the P-51 mustang that sat in my dad's hangar for 20 years or so. I kept hearing that it just wasn't worth rebuilding "nobody wants these antiques".

He sold it to a collector and shipped it to Idaho. He sold it in the early 80's for 50K and thought he'd pulled a fast one. All it needed was to be reassembled and have some fresh hoses and a new radiator. The airplane was given to him......

If I could only have a time a machine!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me, a Chapuis 9,3x74R, RSA in 2010; Kudu, Oryx, Waterbuck, and a Caracal.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mac,

Thanks for that.

Your story kind of reminds me of the P-51 mustang that sat in my dad's hangar for 20 years or so. I kept hearing that it just wasn't worth rebuilding "nobody wants these antiques".

He sold it to a collector and shipped it to Idaho. He sold it in the early 80's for 50K and thought he'd pulled a fast one. All it needed was to be reassembled and have some fresh hoses and a new radiator. The airplane was given to him......

And now worth between $500,000 and $2 million.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wildebeest (2) Hartebeest (2), texas whitetail & hogs. Hollis 450-400. Gotta make the cape buffalo happen. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Two Cape Buffalo
One Kudu
One Impala
Several Whitetail Deer
Numerous Hogs
And One Very Large Red Eared Slider
Chapuis 9,3X74R

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
quote:
Mac,

Thanks for that.

And now worth between $500,000 and $2 million.

That one would be closer to the $2 mill mark I'm guessing as it was a very rare dive bomber variant of the Mustang.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Krieghoff .375H&H: not counted wild boars, roedeers. Few moose, one brown bear.

Krighoff .500 NE: huge wild boar, brown bear.

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered my Krieghoff O/U double rifle in the spring of 1970 and took delivery in the spring of 1971, in time to take it on my first trip to Africa in October 1971. It is caliber .458 Winchester Magnum, with interchangeable barrels in .375 H&H Magnum and 20gauge 3". The .458 barrels are fitted with a Lyman All American 2 1/2X scope, the .375 barrels with another AA scope in 3X.

I used it to take one elephant, two Cape buffalo, a lion, a leopard, an eland, a greater kudu and a lesser kudu. Nothing I shot with it left its tracks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures, Xausa! What do you have now?

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roman BGH:
Nice pictures, Xausa! What do you have now?

I still have the same Krieghoff, plus one I had made for me in what I called the .450 C&W, a kind of rimmed .450 Watts, made using .375 Flanged Magnum brass, and a .405 Winchester on a S/S shotgun action.

My most recent acquisition is a Krieghoff Ulm Primus hand detachable sidelock O/U in 9.3X74R, with combination gun barrels in 16 gauge/7X75SE vom Hofe, with a full length insert barrel in 6X52R Brettschneider (.22 Savage High Power opened up to 6mm), and a pair of 16 gauge shot barrels.

I have aother Krieghoff O/U at my German gunsmith's which I would like to have fitted with .500 NE and 450/400 barrel sets, if I live that long.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Here's a good portion of what I've taken with a Double;

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
I still have the same Krieghoff, plus one I had made for me in what I called the .450 C&W, a kind of rimmed .450 Watts, made using .375 Flanged Magnum brass, and a .405 Winchester on a S/S shotgun action.

My most recent acquisition is a Krieghoff Ulm Primus hand detachable sidelock O/U in 9.3X74R, with combination gun barrels in 16 gauge/7X75SE vom Hofe, with a full length insert barrel in 6X52R Brettschneider (.22 Savage High Power opened up to 6mm), and a pair of 16 gauge shot barrels.

I have aother Krieghoff O/U at my German gunsmith's which I would like to have fitted with .500 NE and 450/400 barrel sets, if I live that long.

Why do you prefer O/U?
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Here's a good portion of what I've taken with a Double

Thanks for sharing! I think pictures are much better than just a list Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roman BGH:
Why do you prefer O/U?

I suppose it's because of my long history of shotgun competition with O/U guns. In fact, the measurements for my original Krieghoff stock were taken from my Perazzi international skeet gun. Although I own several S/S shotguns and have attended courses at Holland and Holland's London shooting school, I have never felt as at home with the S/S configuration. If I had grown up shooting a S/S shotgun, I am confident would have felt otherwise.

I think that for Americans, who started out as I did with repeating shotguns and under barrel tubular magazines, the transition to the O/U design is more comfortable.

Also, the O/U design seems to lend itself to scoping better, but that's just my opinion. To me, a scope has always looked out of place on a S/S rifle.

The proposition that the O/U's greater gape makes it more difficult to reload has never found resonance with me.

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Ozhunter , awesome Buffalo you are posing with. Where was he taken ?

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:
Ozhunter , awesome Buffalo you are posing with. Where was he taken ?

In the Omay Communal lands of Zimbabwe.
A fantastic hunt.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Adam, what is that sweet looking little double you killed the stag with?

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With my Marcel Thys side lock in 458wm I have killed:
5 bull elephant
13 cow elephant
4 bull cape buffalo
4(?) cow cape buffalo
1 klipspringer
1 zebra
1 baboon caught in a snare
1 boar

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote