THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    SPR22 Owners- Need your input
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SPR22 Owners- Need your input
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently bought an SPR22 in 45-70 from Pmike5869 (great guy to do business with btw). I loaded up some 300gr Remington HP's in front of 58grs of H335. After a couple of range sessions and messing with the jackscrew, here is what I am getting:

50yds indoor, supported, 5x scope:

Is this vertical spread between barrels too much? acceptable? eh?

MRJudgeOC helped the vertical spread on his SPR22 by removing the muzzle cap and creating a little extra clearance for the right barrel (thanks for the info Mike).

Before I pull out the Dremel and start grinding, I wanted to ask the experts here what kind of vertical spread is "normal" for a double (even if it's an $850 double). Is this kind of regulation something that needs fixin'?

What are you guys seeing with your rifles?

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found that mine shoots almost the same as yours with the 300 grain Rem factory loads. Good groups, but a little spread between the barrels.

Dropping back to the 405 grain factory Rem loads, it shoots right into center sight, and is very accurate.

Since I got this for an open sight gun at fairly close range for bear hunting or pigs over bait (less than 80 yards), that slower load is probably what I will shoot. Still want to go out and try the 325 grain Leverevolution, and then some handloads. Weather is starting to improve, and it is time to practice up on ground squirrels!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree entirely. Mine had a good bit of spread with the factory 300's and the Leverevolutions,but really likes the 405 factory loads. I'm trying to work up a load with 350's right now...

Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
mines uses the same load as first post makes 2" groups at 100 ... make them overlap at 100, and don't worry much about the vertical .. you'll find the vertical moves too.. shim the right barrel a hair UP if you need to, don't cut on it

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How/where would you shim this thing?

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
its hard to explain and sounds impossible, but you can twist the barrels.... if you support them in a padded vise, you can twist the floating barrel in front...mark it with fingernail polish to establish a reference point... it doesnt take much!!!..... i did it to mine... and both barrels print level now...my gun shoots the factory remington 405 gr springfield load into 2 groups about 3" apart at about 40 yds, but lighter bullets cross....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum Wheel Man
posted Hide Post
WOW... I thought I was the only one... I'd seen several of the 30-06's, & finally found what surely must have been the last unsold 45-70 ( it was mis-mark at the distributor, & my dealer called looking for one while they were doing inventory, & of course they didn't have any... then called the next day & said they found one during inventory )... mines still on layaway, but I expect to free it from captivity in the next month or so... I'd love to get into a discussion on reloading for the gun, & if mine should be off between left & right barrels, how to "twist it" to level them out...

Posts: 51 | Location: southern Minnesota | Registered: 23 September 2008Reply With Quote