THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Negrini Case for Travel to Africa
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Negrini Case for Travel to Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
This will be my first trip to Africa with my double rifle and I’m looking for the best case for air travel. I have a couple Negrini cases but I’m not sure about using them. I also have a Pelican iM3100 I could use but was looking for something less bulky. Any suggestions based on firsthand experience?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2936 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Negrini is not tough enough for commercial air travel (I have several). Use a Pelican or equivalent with center foam cut out to match rifles.

Here is the test: Carefully pack your rifle and equipment into the case and lock. Step up onto the bed of a pickup truck, raise the case over your head and throw it as for as you can onto concrete. Repeat 2 times. If that process causes you to cringe as all, you need a better case.

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Going to have to disagree, bradhe.

I would use and have used my Negrini case for international air travel.

Most recently, I just used it for a trip to and from Cameroon earlier this year and had zero problems.

Not a double, but a Blaser R93.

It's a great case.

A Danish guy on our flight had a Browning over under in .375 H&H Mag. Super rare and cool rifle.

He used a leather covered wooden case with only one strap that worked!

No problems.

Would I do that?

No.

But with a Negrini?

Yes.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They drop a Negrini off a cliff in this torture test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alt3dJ1b0ds&t=81s

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
John,

A Kalispel take down case. I have used one to take several different English doubles, my Heym, etc. to Africa and never experienced an issue. Strong, durable, locks well, does not weigh a lot . . . and does not look like a rifle case. I had an auto upholstery company make me a canvas cover for mine. Protects the case and makes it look even less like a firearms case. Also, can remove the foam that comes with the case and have custom cutouts made that precisely fit your rifle to further minimize the risk of movement.

Personally I would never consider a Negrini case for air travel.

Kalispel Case

Mike

Posts: 21198 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have used my Negrini cases all around the globe with no problems. Last time I went to Zimbabwe with my son and daughter we all three carried our rifles in Negrini cases that fit inside our duffel bags.
I have found that by taking the barreled action from the stock and putting them in a shorter Negrini case make lots of travel issues easier

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I travel with my vintage DR I do so with it in a Pelican. I also have a Negrini, but its size makes me think it would be more tempting to steal. Whichever way you decide to pack it, just make sure that it is broken down. That will make damage to the rifle less likely.

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Besides being lightweight, the largest advantage I find in the Negrini cases are the ability to carry them completely enclosed in shorter wheeled luggage cases. That way they don’t attract the attention, and sometimes extra fees, that large gun cases do in many countries.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis DR came in a Negrini case. I had no idea they were so well-regarded and tough. Glad I read this thread!

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shotguns that are cased from factory in Negrini cases.

I wouldn’t travel with these and risk damage.

I use either Pelican hard case or tuff pak.
In 17 safaris they haven’t failed me.
They are just a more sturdy case than the Negrini.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Are Negrini cases as strong as Pelican, ICC or Kalispel cases (I own all of them)?

I would say no.

Are they in most cases much smaller, and in all cases much lighter and plenty strong enough?

I would say yes, without any doubt.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
skl1, just make sure it is a double wall case. I am not sure if the Chapuis case is the same "level" as those that are meant to be able to take some airline abuse.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My Zoli 450/400 double rifle came in a nice short lightweight Negrini case and I used that case on numerous trips. On one trip to Kyrgyzstan my two companions paid more on excess fees just for their rifle cases than our original airfare! While I paid none as my rifle and case was inside a roller bag with all my clothing.

I doubt the Negrini cases are “as tough” as large and much heavier Pelican and aluminum cases, but when enclosed inside normal looking wheeled luggage they don’t look like a gun case and are less likely to be abused or stolen.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bghntr416:
skl1, just make sure it is a double wall case. I am not sure if the Chapuis case is the same "level" as those that are meant to be able to take some airline abuse.

Thanks bghntr416! Appears to be double walled.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote